• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,133 • Replies: 15
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 06:33 am
@Gala,
I don't know - but I ALWAYS crave rye toast - here in England they don't have rye bread and it's my favorite. The very first thing I do whenever I'm in the US is get some rye bagels and whitefish salad and that's what I have for breakfast every single morning I'm in the states. I've also found a deli within walking distance of my parents' house that does it - so if I run out and I'm out walking I can still have my toasted rye bagel with butter and whitefish salad breakfast. It just isn't home without it.
Gala

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:11 am
@aidan,
They don't have rye toast in England? Are you sure? There's got to be some somewhere? It seems so ordinary and common. Rye bread is just so good-- It's even good with peanut butter and jelly.

When I lived in Italy they didn't have tomato juice, cranberry anything or lobster. I never craved the lobster, but I sure could have enjoyed some tomato juice.
aidan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:25 am
@Gala,
I can't find it where I live - I'm sure they'd have it in London, and possibly Bristol- but I have checked all the local bakeries in my area- the rural area of Somerset about twenty miles south of Bristol.
There may be some small specialty bakeries around that I just haven't stumbled upon, but literally every single bakery I have occasion to walk into around here, I ask for rye bread because I too, love it - as you said toasted or with a turkey club, with pastrami...the list goes on and on...and no one ever has it. The closest I've come to here is sunflower seed bread - which is close, in texture and in taste.

I could make it myself, but I don't. I just really, really enjoy it whenever I go home - I'll have my rye toast and whitefish for two weeks three weeks from now - hurray!!!
aidan

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:27 am
@Gala,
That's strange that they don't tomato juice- given it's a staple ingredient for a lot of their dishes. I was in Italy last month and didn't ask for tomato juice, but was very surprised to see they have iced tea! That's another thing you can't order in a restaurant in England- of course that's really easy to make for yourself.
Gala

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:56 am
@aidan,
That explains it, living in a more rural area and not being able to get it. When I was in school in Indiana(!) it was really hard to get rye bread-- they only had it on, like, the third Teusday of every third month-- I just gave up, they didn't understand.

Then, a Panera chain opened up, and they had rye bread, the only problem was it chain rye bread, so I just gave up on trying to find anything resembling authentic food, what so ever, while living there. I even broke my "I have never been to a Wal-Mart"rule because, sadly, it was the best show in town...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 07:59 am
@aidan,
About the tomato juice-- whenever I would ask for it, they'd produce the parmelat package of tomatoes in their juice, I gave up-- the difference though, I was in glorious Italy, so there's so much more to embrace, unlike in Indiana.

Even though ice tea is easy to make, sometimes when you go out, you want an ice tea.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:00 am
@Gala,
Corned beef?
Gala

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:08 am
@alex240101,
Maybe some French's mustard, too. Come to think of it, I'm kind of craving some French's. French's is the best mustard, ever. No corned beef, though.

alex240101

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:18 am
@Gala,
Habit I guess,...but, Plochmans mustard always ends up in my refrigerator. French's you say,..I do have much left over turkey still, and a fresh loaf of rye,..I meant, plain old white bread. Will pick a bottle of French;s up.
Gala

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:24 am
@alex240101,
The thing about French's is, it's always a bargain and you can find it anywhere, even at your local 7-11. Plochman's?

alex240101

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:28 am
@Gala,
Just as you stated Gala. Even the gas station sells Plochmans. (kidding)
Inexpensive, and everywhere.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bI5IqBJuPL4/So7oaZZrMkI/AAAAAAAADq0/SmR7B-PyeWM/s320/plochmans+mustard.jpg
Gala

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 08:33 am
@alex240101,
It's just like French's. Who knew! I bet the gas station sells it too. I just looked at the Plochman's website, they've got a sense of humor, unlike French's. I see they're Midwest based. That explains why I never heard of it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2009 04:40 pm
Crap, now I'm craving rye toast, too.
Gala

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 07:07 am
@littlek,
Rye toast, it's like a drug.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 09:32 pm
@Gala,
Psst! Psst! I got ya rye toast here!