What was your favorite toy?

BillW

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 01:24 am
I became a avid fan of yo-yo's (Tommy, what is the true meaning of YO?) in my adult youth and still turn to one when frustrated, angry or need to just chill out! Wow, maybe that's the meaning.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 01:27 am
BillW- Every spring a contingent from Duncan Yo-Yos would appear at our local movie palace on Saturday afternoons. The "Yo-Yo Boys", as we called them, would put on demonstrations, and have contests. Winners would walk away with a brand new yo-yo.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 09:14 am
My pendulum is my favorite toy. I like to carry it everywhere. The more one practices with it, the better one gets.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 10:03 pm
algis, do you have a pit as well?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:13 pm
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee

okbye
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 12:15 am
Excuse me, but trying to send my first post. Lead soldiers would be one, another was a trade name, but cannot remember it, still it would allow me to bolt things together. Also liked my cowboy guns (must have done something to me for I still have h/guns & shoot constantly at our gun range), next would be my bicycle & that probably lead to why I still ride motorcycles at my old age.
Still the one thing I remember so well is that we never worried about being outside, or even being amongst strangers or talking to anyone & that goes for hobos as well. Obviously I am talking about early in the 30s.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Tue 3 Dec, 2002 07:48 pm
Smitty , would that be an Erector Set that you're thinking of. My brothers had them and they were lots of fun (when they'd let me play).

It was so much nicer (and easier) when strangers were potential friends even for kids (remember 'the kindness of strangers).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 12:21 am
yoy-yo, never liked it (since my younger sister was much better playing it, I suppose).

The origin of it, btw, lays a little bit in the dark. It is mostly believed that iiiiiz came in use about 1915 (since in 1916 the term was used first in a supplement of the NYT). The term itself is Tagalog (the main language of in the Philippines) for 'come-come' or 'come back'.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 12:51 am
bandylu2: I believe you are correct & it was in different stanges as you progressed. That is to say your parents could buy you the next one for your birthday or next Xmas or something like that. That one set was a 'used' advanced set though many parts missing still I loved it. Besides that also gave me the drive to correct or make things, but then my Father was also a hobby enthusiast in his younger yrs to well into the late 40s.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 03:25 pm
I have three to offer. One was my standard gauge Lionel train set. One was an item which I can not name. It was a combination scooter and "Irish Mail". It had two side by side foot platforms. You stood on it, and by alternating your pressure from one side to the other it caused the rear wheels to rotate providing locomotion. The third was my number 9 1/2 Erector set. It was the version which allowed you to build the 1939 World Fair parachute jump. It was a Christmas present, and the only one of importance that I did not know about in advance. I had made known my desire for it. I had always been able to search throughout the house in advance and discover my forthcoming gifts. This one, however, eluded me. The reason, a neighbor held it until Christmas Eve.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 04:58 pm
flyboy: I remember seeing one of those darn scooters around, but by this time I was more pleased with my bicycle. Man we are all going back into some yrs on some of our toys.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 06:32 pm
I didn't have much in the way of toys
but I DID love to go wandering off
in the woods ( we had plenty of them)
down to the stream - about a half mile
from my home. I would play in the water
look under rocks, look at different plants,
smell plants, pretend I was a wanderer
all alone and on my own - and I was just
stopping by here for a few days rest.
I DID want a thing - I think it was a gas
powered go cart (I guess now it would
be called a four wheeler), but my parents
said "That's a boys toy." Ick! How
sexist they were. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:20 pm
babs, sounds like nature was your favorite toy, and a marvelous toy at that.

flyboy, my hubby and his brother used to sneak around and uncover their gifts before Christmas, too. He loves to tell the story about the time they found a bb gun (which was already unwrapped) which they took out and used and, of course, broke. They then returned it to the box, rewrapped it and opened the broken gun on Christmas.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:15 pm
Oh bandylu2, my 3 daughters could sniff
out a christmas present so bad, that I had
to hide them at a friend's house, or else no
one would be surprised at all!! Of course
I WAS always surprised when they managed
to find them Yes, you are no doubt right
nature was, and still is, my favorite thing in all
the world. What I would give to wake up on
Xmas morning and be in the Great Smoky Mtn
Nat'l Park in the fall. Me there, in my tent
snoozing, listening to the sound of the river next
door, on 5 egg crate mattresses, with a bag
of books to keep me occupied-pure heaven
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:34 pm
While you paint a lovely picture, babs, I think I'll stick to my very own bed for Christmas morning. My 'toys' tend to be more things around the house than out in the open in December.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 12:17 pm
Bandylu2,

My god, good guess work my Dear Watson. I worked in one all last summer. Brought my Pendulum there a couple of times. Here's a link to see my PIT> http://community.webshots.com/photo/50747689/51255831OsqfDn

Use the little blue arrows on the upper right for a slide show. After viewing the Pit, come back and go to Original Art & Photography here and see "Stone Faced Sober" These are rocks in the forest all around my Pit in the Laurentian Forest. Stone Faced Sober is a World Premiere of this work.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 08:13 pm
Algis, that is the most fascinating, marvelous setting I think I've ever seen. Those faces are so full of pain and character. Your rock sculptures are just unbelievable. I would absolutely love to go there and sit in the church and just listen to all the souls you've discovered.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:23 pm
Well you have the right instinct....maybe you should go there.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:26 pm
This is odd, when I came here, I noticed some color letters on my above post.
I didn't make them. I was glad to see them actually. Then I posted to you and when I came back they were gone...I'm posting this now to see if they'll reappear.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 10:31 pm
OK, mystery solved. I did a search for SFS and it must have high lighted all it's listings. For a second I thought something really mysterious happened LOL.
Boy was that FUN.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 10:34:27