What was your favorite toy?

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:04 pm
HGTV did a special today on 'the toys you grew up with'. Made me wonder, what were your favorite toys as a kid?

Mine was a baby doll that I received as a Christmas present when I was about 6 or so. What made her special was that she had a sweater that matched the sweater I got for another present. Still remember that sweater.

My favorite toy when my kids were little and I got to play with their toys was legos. Loved to build with legos.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,586 • Replies: 106
No top replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:41 pm
favorite toys
My Shirley Temple doll with her wonderful screw curls - and my mom made her a red cross uniform with a little white nurses cap and a cape because we were in the middle of WWII. I built an outline house in our driveway out of sticks and rocks and my dad ran over it and crushed my doll. I can remember being so heartbroken.

I have a 14 year old parapalegic granddaughter, and I make sure she has plenty of dolls and teddies to keep her company.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:48 pm
Mister Potato Head and my paper dolls.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:01 am
I played outside so much, it's hard to think of any toy that I really liked the best, but I guess the thing that I liked most was my bike.

I did get a baby doll when my brother was born-I had to wait in the car for the nurse to bring him and my mom outside to go home, and I remember that after the nurse handed my brother to my mom in the car, she handed me the doll as if it was my newborn baby...to this day, I still love the smell of a certain kind of doll.

The only other toy that really sticks out as being a favorite was a doll house that Santa brought me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 12:34 am
That question brought back a memory or two.

It was Coco, a wooly sheepskin dog. It had a magnet in its nose so it could carry a little iron bone, and a spring in its neck, for whatever reason. I can't remember how many times my sister sewed the neck on, but finally there just wasn't enough sound material to put it together like new, and the spring had to go. Coco was never the same again.

This was a fairly sophisticated toy for the time, and especially right at the end of the war.

Now, you've got me remembering those dowdy, blue ovals we had for Christmas tree ornaments at that time. Sure wish we had kept them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:31 am
My first favorite toy was a calculator, then it was legos.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:35 am
My favorite toys were a metall construction kit, Legos and my set of handpuppets.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:55 am
Roller skates, I lived on them. In second grade I was in Denver and of course there is not roller skating on snow and ice so my mom strapped my skates to the bottom of a cardboard box big enough for me to sit in and I zoomed around the house in it using my hands on the floor to motivate. All I remember is that I could zoom from room to room and became quite proficient at doing 360s and all sorts of tricks in it. A precursor to my skate boarding days I am sure.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 10:42 am
The first favorite toy I remember, was a "station master outfit".
Later, it was Lego for a short period and then an electric model railway.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:01 am
Legos, man, all the way -- to the point where I was devastated a few years ago when I finally made it to Legoland (Danmark, you know, a bit of an expedition, though of course it wasn't the sole reason for being there) and there was nothing interactive! No super Legos to play with! And I couldn't even move those giant Legos on the road on the way out there!

What a pathetic excuse for a Legoland...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:48 am
Autorama, an electric car racing track.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:08 pm
My favorite toy for a while was a doll. She was a comfort to me when I had my tonsils out and I also liked playing dolls and dress-up with other little girls.
Other favorites were toy animals. I always had a fuzy kitten or dog to play with.
Mostly, though, I was a tomboy and loved cars. I would dig out roads and build bridges, making a little highway system in the dirt.
I loved climbing trees as much as my toys.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:20 pm
My father and my paternal grandparents used to send me lead soldiers, 1 1/4" high (which is a standard size), which came in all branches of service--infantry, cavalry, artillery--and which were painted bright colors. This is a huge industry for a small, but spendthrift clientele--not that i knew that at the time. I remember that they came, so many per box, in boxes which said "South Africa" on the bottom. I would take them outside, and build little forts of wood and match sticks (i played with fire quite often as a child, and got away with it). At some point in the martial drama, the defender's fort would catch fire . . .
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 04:39 pm
<trying to remember>

I wasn't big on dolls or stuffed toys. We had Lionel electric trains (they had been my Dad's; now my nephew owns them) but they weren't a favorite.

Oh yeah <smacking forehead> [ouch!] - these little plastic farm animals my Dad got for me when he went to Germany on business. They were sheep, cows, horses, dogs, cats, chickens, you know, that sort of thing. I always had them traveling some place (in all sorts of weird contraptions, like a crib from a doll house) and piling in, then I'd take them out.

And so a database professional was born.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 05:48 pm
bandylu

My family wasn't big on toys, for some reason. Possibly because we were new migrants to Oz when I was little, & probably because there was little spare $$$ at that stage ...

So my favourite "toys" were pet cats & books .... Haven't out-grown either!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:08 pm
my Steiff rabbit, that my dad's best friend sent when my parents wrote to tell him that my mother was pregnant. I still have that mangled, blood-stained, and threadbear little rabbit. The Steiff monkey that the same man gave me 3 years later when we met (I still have the monkey too).
my lego, that my grandparents sent from germany, a few each Christmas.
a red plastic jeep. i loved loved loved that thing. i built sand highways for it, forest parking lots, garden arches to drive through. it was wonderful.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:11 pm
Weebles....little rolly figure things are the earliest little toys I can remember right off the top o my head..actually remembering a framhouse thing for them where something mooed, and the doorbell rang I think.

I played for years and years with Lincoln Logs though!

Lite Brite was always fun, as was etch-a-sketch.

LOVED my slot cars!

I had problems with Barbies, I always wanted to do their hair...most of them ended up bald, and I had a hard time finding trucks for them too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 06:25 pm
Jacks- I loved to play jacks. I got pretty good at it, if I should say so myself! Very Happy
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:05 pm
I loved to play with my paper dolls under the dining room table. The dining room table had a beautiful crocheted tablecloth that hung almost to the floor, all the way around. It was a really big table, with two massive pedestals, one at each end. Each pedestal had four big feet, which curved outward from about the middle of the pedestal. Each area that was separated by the feet became one of the rooms of my dolls' house. Each doll had her own bedroom, with odd little boxes and knickknacks gathered from my Mom's cabinets. Each doll had her paper clothes, leaning up against the pedestals' feet, in her own bedroom. The clothes that I liked the best were in the front and the clothes that I didn't like as much were in the back. My two favorite dolls had their bedrooms right next to each other. My least favorite doll had a bedroom that was way at the other end of the table-house. The dolls stood up on little round stands, and they spent a lot of time trying on different clothes, especially the ones that I made for them myself, with the magnet scotchtaped to the back.

Ahhh... great memories from under the table!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:32 pm
Phoenix: So you were a champ at jacks? I could never master that game, but I'll have you know that from the age of 5 to 8, I was the best marble shooter in my neighborhood . I used to beat all the boys and my prize would be their shooter. (I think that's what we called it ). I loved that game.

Bandylu: What I'm recalling now is a kaleidoscope. It came with a box that had compartments for colored beads, small pieces of wood, metal pieces, and something else I can't recall, (might have been colored pieces of straw) that could be put into it. It was the size of a flashlight and actually rather heavy, and I was fascinated by the designs those objects could produce. It was great for a rainy day or one of those stay in bed till the cold's all gone days. (I've never been able to find another one like it)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What was your favorite toy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 03:55:30