OVER THE RIVER and bring dessert... .

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:02 am
@Joe Nation,
It's hard, but not impossible, to chop nuts fine enough by hand for the crust. Everything else can easily be done with a mixer.

I got my first food processor a couple years ago. I've used it twice. I do have a mini-chopper that I use for things like nuts.
panzade

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 11:45 am
Panzade's Easy fudge(for the kids)

2 bags Hershey Nuggets(Milk Chocolate) 12oz each

can of sweetened condensed milk 14 oz

1/2 stick butter

2 tsp vanilla essence(real or fake)

4 oz bag chopped walnuts(optional)

Throw everything in a medium saucepan til it's melted and mixed.

Dump it into a foil lined 8x8 pan and chill in fridge for two hours. Remove foil and chill again...overnite is good

Voila.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2009 05:11 pm
I would be remiss if I didn't share this Tulsa classic...just in case Joe forgot to take it with him to NYC. (Top with real whipped cream, but wait 'til you're in Joisey to do that. You can rewarm this in the oven while you're whipping the cream.) I have yet to take this anywhere that it didn't produce "Ahhh"s.

BAKED FUDGE

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
1 c. pecan pieces
4 heaping T. cocoa
4 rounded T. flour
2 t. vanilla

Beat eggs well, add sugar and butter and beat well again. Sift cocoa and flour together, add nuts. Fold into sugar, butter and egg mixture, add vanilla. Pour into 9x12x3 pyrex dish or tin pan. Set in larger pan of hot water (enough to come 1/2" or 1" up sides of pan). Bake at 325 for 45 minutes-1 hour until crusty on top and has the consistency of firm custard. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 05:56 am
@JPB,
Yep. I know I can do it with my trusty 34 year old Chef's Knife.

(I wonder how many pounds of chopped and diced onions, peppers, celery, carrots and nuts it has seen?)

The two most bought and most little used machines in the world are food processors and ...... bread machines.

Joe(I used to make four loaves of bread every Saturday morning in between the soccer games.)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 06:01 am
If I make the fudge with Pecans, we can have a long discussion over coffee on the proper pronunciation: Pea-can or Puh-con.

The Aunts(um.. ANTS) will disagree.

Joe(I still occasionally drawl a "y'all". It stuns my brothers>)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 06:21 am
I hope y'all haven't seen this before because here it is again:
(Not from anyone in my family!)
The Classic Family Thanksgiving Letter

Awkward Family Story: The Thanksgiving Letter

Quote:
As you all know a fabulous Thanksgiving Dinner does not make itself. I need to ask each of you to help by bringing something to complete the meal. I truly appreciate your offers to assist with the meal preparation.

Now, while I do have quite a sense of humor and joke around all the time, I COULD NOT BE MORE SERIOUS when I am providing you with your Thanksgiving instructions and orders. I am very particular, so please perform your task EXACTLY as I have requested and read your portion very carefully. If I ask you to bring your offering in a container that has a lid, bring your offering in a container WITH A LID, NOT ALUMINUM FOIL! If I ask you to bring a serving spoon for your dish, BRING A SERVING SPOON, NOT A SOUP SPOON! And please do not forget anything.

All food that is to be cooked should already be prepared, bring it hot and ready to serve, warm or room temp. These are your ONLY THREE options. Anything meant to be served cold should, of course, already be cold.

HJB"Dinner wine

The Mike Byron Family
1. Turnips in a casserole with a lid and a serving spoon. Please do not fill the casserole all the way up to the top, it gets too messy. I know this may come as a bit of a surprise to you, but most of us hate turnips so don’t feel like you a have to feed an army.
2. Two half gallons of ice cream, one must be VANILLA, I don’t care what the other one is. No store brands please. I did see an ad this morning for Hagan Daz Peppermint Bark Ice Cream, yum!! (no pressure here, though).
3. Toppings for the ice cream.
4. A case of bottled water, NOT gallons, any brand is ok.

The Bob Byron Family
1. Green beans or asparagus (not both) in a casserole with a lid and a serving spoon. If you are making the green beans, please prepare FOUR pounds, if you are making asparagus please prepare FIVE pounds. It is up to you how you wish to prepare them, no soupy sauces, no cheese (you know how Mike is), a light sprinkling of toasted nuts, or pancetta, or some EVOO would be a nice way to jazz them up.
2. A case of beer of your choice (I have Coors Light and Corona) or a bottle of clos du bois chardonnay (you will have to let me know which you will bring prior to 11/22).

The Lisa Byron Chesterford Family
1. Lisa as a married woman you are now required to contribute at the adult level. You can bring an hors d’ouvres. A few helpful hints/suggestions. Keep it very light, and non-filling, NO COCKTAIL SAUCE, no beans of any kind. I think your best bet would be a platter of fresh veggies and dip. Not a huge platter mind you (i.e., not the plastic platter from the supermarket).

The Michelle Bobble Family
1. Stuffing in a casserole with a serving spoon. Please make the stuffing sans meat.
2. 2.5-3 qts. of mashed squash in a casserole with a lid and serving spoon
3. Proscuitto pin wheel " please stick to the recipe, no need to bring a plate.
4. A pie knife

The June Davis Family
1. 15 LBS of mashed potatoes in a casserole with a serving spoon. Please do not use the over-size blue serving dish you used last year. Because you are making such a large batch you can do one of two things: put half the mash in a regulation size casserole with lid and put the other half in a plastic container and we can just replenish with that or use two regulation size casserole dishes with lids. Only one serving spoon is needed.
2. A bottle of clos du bois chardonnay

The Amy Misto Family (why do I even bother she will never read this)
1. A pumpkin pie in a pie dish (please use my silver palate recipe) no knife needed.
2. An apple pie in a pie dish, you can use your own recipe, no knife needed.

Looking forward to the 28th!!

Marney
ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 06:33 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:

The June Davis Family
1. 15 LBS of mashed potatoes in a casserole with a serving spoon.

having a flashback to the years I was assigned 15 pounds (really) of mashed potatoes for the seder

transporting 15 pounds of mashed taters and mashed root veggie casserole can be errrr exhausting. Making it is the easy part.

cook Joe cook!
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 06:44 am
@ehBeth,
How do you keep FIFTEEN pounds of mashed potatos hot while in transist? Bunson burners on the back seat?

Joe(and don't you love..."Don't bring that blue plate from last year.."?)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 07:09 am
@Joe Nation,
you know those bags full of seeds people heat up and use for neck pain?
a lot of those in a cooler with the bowls and bowls and casserole dishes of taters (stacked by way of cut-up cardboard boxes)
the whole freaking collection wrapped in two sleeping bags
it worked

I love them.
I really love them.
I wouldn't do this for anyone else.
Thank goodness some of the kids married and moved far far far away.
Kansas is just far enough from Toronto.
I love them.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 08:36 am
@ehBeth,
Gosh. Well, not something I could take on the train. I was going to say 'wrapped up in Flector Patches'http://www.flectorpatch.com/but I wasn't sure you had them up there by the North Pole or Canada or wherever.

Our family, married kids and all, flung themselves far, far away, but, like watching the orbs of olive oil on the top of the spaghetti water come together into one, in season each floats homeward.

Joe(This thread has made me tremendously hungry for chocolate.)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:08 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

If I make the fudge with Pecans, we can have a long discussion over coffee on the proper pronunciation: Pea-can or Puh-con.

The Aunts(um.. ANTS) will disagree.

Joe(I still occasionally drawl a "y'all". It stuns my brothers>)Nation

See? Not only would you have chocolate, but traditional Thanksgiving conversation as well!

E(it's puh-CON, we grow 'em here so we know best)va
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:11 am
I hope Marney is planning to have that Thanksgiving dinner at her own house, because she's not coming to mine!

(She writes 5-page Christmas letters too, I bet.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 09:39 am
I feel for Marney in a way. I know what people do. At a friend's house, years ago, the couple who were supposed to bring the gravy, 1) phoned to say they would be late, holding up dinner for all of us, 2) arrived, even later, with a quart mason jar of store bought gravy.

There were 18 people there waiting.

I said "Just let me have that and I'll add to it."

I got the drippings out of the turkey roasting pan, skimmed off the fat, made a roue in the biggest frying pan our hostess had while getting a big pot of chicken bouillon and some milk up to a boil, wham de bam, big pot of gravy.

They looked like they had never the like before.

Joe(pass the mashed)Nation
CoutureQueen12

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 10:36 am
Joe-
How about a great recipe for a classic dessert, with a twist? It even uses our Florida Crystals organic sugar and would be great a la mode. Let me know what you think!

Rocky Road Brownies
Ingredients:
Brownie:
1/2 cup - butter or margarine
3 oz. - unsweetened chocolate
1 cup - all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon - baking powder
1/2 teaspoon - salt
3 - eggs
1 1/2 cups - Florida Crystals® Organic Cane Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons - vanilla
Topping:
1/2 cup - chopped peanuts
1/2 cup - semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup - miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup - chocolate fudge topping, warmed

Preparation:
Heat oven to 350°F. Generously grease 9-inch square baking pan.

Melt butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat in medium saucepan, stirring frequently; cool. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; set aside.

Beat eggs in large bowl until light. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until mixture is thick. Add vanilla. Gradually add chocolate mixture to egg mixture. Stir in flour mixture just until blended. Spread evenly into pan.

Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges slightly pull away from sides of pan. Remove from oven.

Sprinkle peanuts, chocolate chips and marshmallows over top; drizzle with chocolate fudge topping. Continue baking 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely. Cut into bars.

Makes 2 dozen brownies.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 03:18 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
...They looked like they had never the like before....

Maybe they hadn't!

It's sad, but many folks nowadays have never had anything but store-bought gravy. (Yuk.)
mac11

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 03:32 pm
@Eva,
Eva, you took those words right out of my mouth. I'm certain that many of them had never seen the like before.

I've been asked to bring cranberry sauce. I won't be bringing the canned gunk, but I can't decide about getting fancy with the recipe. Orange zest? Cinnamon? Or just plain ol' sugar, water & berries? Any votes?

I will also be bringing two kinds of cookies, but that's a given.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:10 pm
@mac11,
Quote:
just plain ol' sugar, water & berries
!

A pound of cranberries
A pound of sugar
A pound of water
(two cups a pound the world around.. two cups, a pint, a pint's a pound.)
Get the water boiling, throw in the sugar, get it back to a boil, pour in the berries. Watch'em pop open!

Let them simmer for about ten minutes then into a bowl and into the fridge. DON'T forget to bring them to the table!

Joe( I made the most incredible thing today. I'll be back to tell y'all)Nation

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:26 pm
@mac11,
This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe that Mr B makes every year.

Cranberry Conserve (2005)
1 pound fresh cranberries
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 whole orange, seeds removed, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup peeled and chopped apple
1 cup peeled and chopped pear
1 cup golden raisins
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

In a medium heavy saucepan combine cranberries and water and cook until berries burst, about 10 minutes. Add all other ingredients except pecans and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens, about 25 minutes. Add nuts, stir to combine, and allow to cool. Transfer to a nonreactive bowl or jar and refrigerate, covered, for up to 2 weeks. Serve at room temp.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 05:52 pm
I confess...the one store-bought dish on my Thanksgiving table is cranberry relish from Williams-Sonoma. I've never tasted any better. It's perfect.

(Mr. B's does look good, though!)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 10:47 pm
Okay. I couldn't find a recipe for chocolate cheesecake that I liked, but I did find one for a cheesecake/Brownie... The cheesecake is baked on top of brownies...hmmm, I said, I wonder if I could make something of that.
So I made a crust out of ground walnuts, crushed up chocolate wafer cookies and butter. (I crushed the cookies and nuts with a rolling pin until they were pulverized) then I melted a stick of butter and mixed it in, pressed it onto the sides of the springform pan and baked it for about ten minutes..while I
melted up some chocolate and more butter and mixed it into some whipped up sugar and eggs with a little flour (real brownies).
While the crust was cooling I whipped up some eggs and creamcheese and sugar. I bit of lemon juice. (cheesecake)

Okay. The brownies go on the bottom on the walnut crust, then I poured the cheesecake over the brownie layer.
Into the oven at 300 for a little bit over an hour.

So beautiful you won't believe. The cheesecake got big and puffy and nicely plump. I can see that it will pop out of the springform when I get to my brother's.

Joe(unless there is an accident and I have to eat it first)Nation