Google Wave

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 10:48 pm

So I have been very interested in this new Google Wave product they are preparing to launch. I think it could be great with a blog, namely mine.

I was fortunate to get a beta account, and now I want to use it and figure out if it's application is good for me. Is there anyone here who has an account who'd like to wave back and forth and figure this stuff out?

T
K
O

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:07 pm
@Diest TKO,
It's not like the beta of Gmail. Even if one scored an invite that doesn't necessarily mean they got a Google Wave account.

Lucky dog. How is it so far?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:30 pm
Pretty cool. The robots are slow though. They were pretty cool in the developers sandbox so I'm hoping they get better over time. If I score any invites, I'll be sure and keep you in mind.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 11:32 pm
@Diest TKO,
I have a beta account, my username is lastname.firstname @ the wave domain

It was underwhelming to me, and I don't really use it so if you send me anything make sure to ping me elsewhere so I know to look for it.

Edit: it's not really a blog thing, and wasn't even much of a twitter/email thing as I was expecting, it's more of an email/IM replacement. The easiest way to describe it is as if gmail had rewritten email protocols, it's a couple of Google engineers' attempt to reinvent email.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:56 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Edit: it's not really a blog thing

I think it can bee though. I like the idea of being able to have an original post which I can write and then people could follow up on and I could add additional content to later and they would see that.

I used the bloggy bot today. It didn't work. I'll try again after reading up.

T
K
O
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 05:57 am
@Robert Gentel,
Rosy is the one I'm interested most in trying.

Translation
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:47 pm
Notes:

Bloggy ([email protected]) - A robot for embedding a wave into a blogger site.

I haven't got this to work yet like in the demo. This is an important one for me.

Rosy ([email protected]) - A translation robot. Very cool in the demo.

I don't know if the email address is correct for this robot or if maybe they pulled it to work out some bugs.

Tweety ([email protected]) - A robot for integrating your twitter account.

I've got this to work and it's pretty cool. Having said that, I already have a widget and i mostly update my twitter from my phone.

As I learn about more robots, I'll keep posting back.

T
K
O
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 01:53 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
Edit: it's not really a blog thing

I think it can bee though. I like the idea of being able to have an original post which I can write and then people could follow up on and I could add additional content to later and they would see that.

I used the bloggy bot today. It didn't work. I'll try again after reading up.

T
K
O

That's why there is so much buzz about the whole Google Wave thingy... it's an application without a solid direction of use. No one knows in what direction it could take off in. Like Twitter was an unknown in it's beginning. I'm glad you see the potential in this new program because I couldn't see its purpose when I first heard about it (other then interoffice team projects which seem like such an obvious bore to me).
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 02:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've already been having fun with friends. We will use it like a chat and embed all sorts of things. Usually funny videos we've found.

I'll put the emphasis on fun.

I'm still waiting for the Bloggy robot to work right. I also wish it had some cross compatibility with email. Like I wish I could receive and email or send an email with it too.

T
K
O
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 02:41 pm
Bookmark: thinking of ways to use this to edit students work as they write or when they write at home.
Diest TKO

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 03:39 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Bookmark: thinking of ways to use this to edit students work as they write or when they write at home.

I think this could be a very interesting way to provide feedback to students. Perhaps better for some subjects, than others. What types of classes do you teach?

T
K
O
littlek

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 04:47 pm
@Diest TKO,
I teach all subjects. Or rather I preteach, reteach and otherwise support special needs students in all their subjects. They do a lot of writing in all subjects except math.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 09:46 pm
This source might help you guys figure the wave out:
http://completewaveguide.com/

Gina Trapani, one of the authors, is a regular guest of Leo Laporte's This Week in Google podcast which I'm listening to right now.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 06:19 am
I found a pretty good list of Google Wave Robots.

http://wavety.com/google-wave-gadgets-and-robots/

I'm trying to test out as many as possible.

T
K
O
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 12:56 pm
Has Google Wave crested yet?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 05:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Leo Laporte wrote:

Okay Wave is a flop, I think we can all agree that.

http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/TWiT_256/Transcript
Do you agree with the tech meister, Leo Laporte? If so, why did it fail? Any ideas why Google never really given Wave a chance to grow?
0 Replies