Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:17 am
@jjorge,
jjorge! Surprised Smile

Very pleased to see you!

Where have you been?

What have you been up to?

Long, long time no see.

.... A melancholy poem you've posted.

I'm wondering if this abandoned house is one that featured in your life, at some stage?
jjorge

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:38 am
@msolga,
Hello my friend!
I'm still here in the Blue Ridge Mountains not far from Blacksburg and Virginia Tech. I moved from my first house here (on Buffalo Mountain Road in nearby Floyd County) after deciding to down-size and get a little 'closer-in' as they say in these parts. I stay pretty busy with various projects and interests including at my (Unitarian-Universalist) church. I'm probably going in twelve directions with these things! :-)
I go to NY and New England about three times a year to visit my daughters, grandkids and other family.
Recently I was in D.C, for four days attending the first annual conference of
'J Street' an organization (of primarily progressive Jews) that i affiliated with because of my keen interest in mid-East peace with Justice. If you're curious their website is jstreet.org . I may be J Street's only Boston Irishman!

How about yourself msolga? How is your life going? Are you in touch on A2k with many of the 'old-timers?' I see that the format and/or the 'look' has changed significantly from earlier days.

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:02 am
@jjorge,
Lovely to hear of your hectic life, jjorge! Way to go! Very Happy

And you are still writing! Wonderful.

You know, I loved those poems you wrote from your more urban, multi-cultural environment, years ago. (Where was that, exactly?) The local children & the fruit tree ... Smile

The Unitarian Church is a fine organization. (I actually got married in a Unitarian church (in Oz) quite some years ago. A wonderful compromise between no religion & an acceptable amount of ritual. Everyone was happy.) I'm wondering about the "Universalist" part.

I will most definitely check out jstreet.org. Even give you feedback, if you want.

Me, life is not too bad. You know. The normal (I guess) ups & downs. I have never actually left A2K. Been at it pretty constantly since Abuzz. It is always lovely to see "lapsed" folk from the past, like you, pop up again! Very Happy
jjorge

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 02:04 am
@msolga,
“...I loved those poems you wrote from your more urban, multi-cultural environment, years ago. (Where was that, exactly?) ...”

Providence, Rhode Island. Sometimes (affectionately) referred to as ‘Rogues Island’. I still visit my wonderful step-daughter there, and I stay in touch with friends as well. I’ve even enticed a few to come to the Blue Ridge and rusticate a bit.

“...I'm wondering about the "Universalist" part....”

In the late fifties or early sixties the Unitarians merged with another liberal
religious denomination, the Universalists. Each had been formed in the early nineteenth century when they took exception to an article of Christian orthodoxy. The Unitarians among other things rejected the notion of a Trinity and affirmed the UNITARY nature of the Deity, while the Universalists rejected the idea that a loving God could condemn ANYONE to eternal damnation -- hence they posited the doctrine of ‘Universal Salvation’ --- ie. EVERYONE is saved.

UUism has continued to evolve and no longer sees itself as a ‘Christian’ faith per se. It is a very diverse ‘United Nations’ of a church which makes no specific doctrinal requirements of its members and contains Humanists, Christians, Buddhists, Pagans etc etc.

“...I will most definitely check out jstreet.org. Even give you feedback, if you want...”

by all means tell me what you think.

“...always lovely to see "lapsed" folk from the past, like you, pop up again!...”
Lapsed but not least?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:14 am
@jjorge,
oh!

wonderful to 'see' you and your poetry again, jjorge.

you've moved away from Rhode Island - I'm looking forward to reading more about your new location

Welcome home!
0 Replies