What's the dumbest piece of clothing ever invented?

Piffka

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:34 pm
Ahhhh, berets on men? Yep, pretty strange, I guess, but OK if they're older and French.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:38 pm
ehBeth wrote:
stockings, tights, pantyhose. they're all hellish.

Oh I just LOVE my COMPRESSION socks - OPEN TOE - Calf high,
fricken things almost always roll on the toe edges.
0 Replies

jillamanda

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:44 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Those four or six inch platform shoes. I've seen coeds literally fall off them running to make a class on time.

Worse still, those platform 'runners' (I think you call them 'trainers' in the US). A contradiction in terms, like you ALWAYS see serious athletes in platform runners.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 06:55 pm
Gee, I love berets on men. Especially bearded men.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:00 pm
I'm also a fan of the beret-ed man.

A man who can wear a beret has panache. I like a man with panache.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:30 pm
A beret on a man only looks good if he's in camoflauge.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:33 pm
Most of them are, camoflauged as men with hair.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:29 pm
The best accessory to a beret is either panache (love that word) or a flak jacket? Akkkkakkkk.

I'm trying to imagine GĂ©rard Depardieu in a beret and just can't do it... but Patrick Stewart seems a natural and I don't think he's really French!

Okay. Nobody mentioned dickies. Now why, if you're going to do that, why not just wear a shirt? Or use a scarf. I've never been able to understand dickies and I've even had them in the past (They rumple and don't lie smoothly either.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:39 pm
Two shirts can get a little warm and a scarf just doesn't give you the same affect. Dickies, IMO, were a clever concept that was just never perfected. I remember how popular they were tho. My brothers had them in every color and I wore them myself.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:11 am
eoe wrote:
Dickies, IMO, were a clever concept that was just never perfected.

eoe... Did you know this? They're back! This one is longer in the front... I don't remember that!
http://www.blair.com/static/images/Product/image11/w30930s.jpg

Here's another... with button-front and an adjustable elastic slide.
http://www.qvc.com/img/A/84/A46984s.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:34 am
I like berets on men and women, so there.

I gave mine a rest for a while after Monica though.

I have to agree with someone else in one of the early posts about the 4" high heel. Pretty to look at, sculptural really, and make a woman's legs look great, and sometimes fabulous to wear, but stoooooooopid for foothealth/back/etc. I have some friends with seriously messed up feet...

I thought of mentioning suede jackets with lots of fringe, but I sort of like them..
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 02:40 am
Grand Duke wrote:
G - I'm doing some research about this business with the sleeve buttons. Early indications are that you are correct (in fact the whole cuff of the jacket was detachable), but I now want to know why I heard that about the snotty noses. I'll post back once I know more...

I found a website www.AskAndyAboutClothes.com by a guy called Andy Gilchrist, who's written a book titled "The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes". I e-mailed him and he's replied already with the following:

Quote:
I don't think jacket cuffs were ever detachable.

Jacket sleeve buttons were supposedly ordered sewn on his troops uniforms by Frederick the Great of Prussia in the mid 1700's when he watched a sentry wipe his nose on the sleeve. The buttons prevented this uncouth act.

Sleeve buttons were formerly functional to allow you to roll up your sleeves to work and leave your jacket on. Functional buttons are still available usually on bespoke sports jackets.

Most sports jackets, like suit jackets, have four sleeve buttons made standard by British tailors, although the Italian sports jackets tend to model three.

Quality sleeve buttons "kiss" or touch, unless they are functional sleeve buttons with real buttonholes as found on custom made jackets. Quality buttons are made from natural materials such as horn or mother-of-pearl, never plastic. Look for dome-back buttons, which lift the button from the fabric. You can tell hand stitching by a cross-stitch (an "X"), not just two parallel lines of thread.

Not quite a definitive answer but I'm still hunting for the British Naval angle on all this.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:02 am
GD, Yep - Andy is right Smile Though the cost of yr suit just rockets the moment you want functional buttons on yr sleeves.

Btw, what's that avtar ?

And to speak of "dumb" clothing - I always find bow ties to be really really funny - as if a butterfly has landed on yr neck Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:29 am
Gautam wrote:
GD, Yep - Andy is right Smile Btw, what's that avtar ?

Believe it or not it is supposed to be my good self, although I was having some troubles getting the scanned photo to be small enough to use as an avatar, so it looks like a load of crap. I'm going to change back to the Red Dragon until I've sorted out the photo properly. I did find a site which had references to the Naval thing, but it was blocked by the office filters, and I couldn't be bothered to wait until 5:30 when they are lifted. I'm still trying to get tot the bottom of it all though...!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:43 am
But this picture of you has hair on the head Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:52 am
I have a sneaking suspiscion that avatar is James Brown...mind you, Grand Duke could be the hardest working man in his business...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 05:53 am
Getting back to dumb clothing, although a political statement in the '60's, the dashiki became pretty dumb when white folk started to wear them.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:48 am
cavfancier wrote:
Getting back to dumb clothing, although a political statement in the '60's, the dashiki became pretty dumb when white folk started to wear them.

What's one of them look like Cav? I am unfamilar with this.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 06:51 am
Kinda loose long shirt worn primarily in Africa.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 07:40 am
Here are some good images:

http://www.africawithin.com/shops/afrimps/dashikis.htm
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/24/2024 at 03:15:03