What's the dumbest piece of clothing ever invented?

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:40 am
jillamanda wrote:
Exactly Heeven.....and why do they wear suits anyway? ..... and what's that split up the back of the jacket about? Is it anything to do with sodomy?.....and what about those three buttons on the sleeves? Neutral Confused

The split up the back is so we can sit down with all the buttons done up at the front (although why anyone wants to fasten all the buttons is beyond me). There are some jackets with a double-split-and-flap arrangement also. Possibly also so a man wearing a long jacket (in the army or navy in olden times) could fasten all the buttons and still wield a sword and jump around in a fight etc without having his movement restricted by the jacket around the top of his legs.

The buttons on the sleeves are also a historical thing, from the 1700s I believe. The story goes that new officers in the Royal Navy (ensigns) were always wiping their noses on their jacket sleeves whilst out on ship in the middle of winter (some were as young as 14 so I'll let them off with that), and some ingenious Admiral decided to have a row of buttons sewn onto the end of the sleeves to stop them from doing this. Since then the buttons have moved around a bit so it is now possible to wipe your nose on the sleeves, if you were that way inclined...

As for why we wear suits, I don't really know. It certainly makes getting dressed for the office easier as I only have to pick a random shirt & random tie. I like them anyway. They have loads of pockets, and I've found I get slightly better service in shops when wearing a suit.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:44 am
At the other end of the spectrum, as a single man in his 20s, I vote for the front-fastening brassiere as the smartest piece of women's clothing. They should be made standard fitting on all bra's....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:45 am
One should only have to wear suits for weddings, funerals and court.
0 Replies

jillamanda

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 08:49 am
Thanks for all that info Grand Duke. All of a sudden, men's suits don't seem so dumb after all. Laughing

And as a female, I agree about the front fastening bra. Whoever decided they should be done up at the back wasn't thinking right at all. I don't know about anyone else, but I always do mine up at the front and then turn it around to the back to finish the procedure. Smile
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:02 am
One upon a time, when men were men and suits were elegant, the sleeves on the suit jacket could be unbuttoned, just like the ones on shirts. Don't know when the tradition of "stitched" sleeves started, but the buttons are remenant of the glorious days when you could unbutton yr suit jacket sleeve to properly adjust yr cuffs.

One of my suits has this, and believe me, it makes a big difference !!!

I love wearing suits, just that cant be bothered every morning to put one on - they are time consuming garments to put on.

Not so sure abt the front fastening bra Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 09:59 am
G - I'm doing some research about this business with the sleeve buttons. Early indications are that you are correct (in fact the whole cuff of the jacket was detachable), but I now want to know why I heard that about the snotty noses. I'll post back once I know more...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:09 am
First of all...thongs are one of the greatest things ever invented.

My vote for dumbest clothing goes to "Skidz." Especially the overalls. Although I used to wear them, as a young buck.
Reminds me of one night in a bar earlier this year, some chick was wearing the ugliest plaid pants I think I've ever seen. I walked up to her and asked her if they were Skidz(of course I knew they weren't). Man was she pissed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:16 am
Thanks, Gautam. I'd always taken the nose wiping story as fact too.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:19 am
Dunno whether it is true or not - but this piece of information was imparted by my tailor !!!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:23 am
I heard that about the noses on a BBC daytime TV programme "What's In A Word?" (one of those 15 min ones that they use to fill the gaps between the proper programmes).
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 10:25 am
Those four or six inch platform shoes. I've seen coeds literally fall off them running to make a class on time.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:49 am
I'd like to know [Slappy] if you wear thongs ... and be honest!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 12:10 pm
Like I'm going to give in to your sick perversions.

Yes.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 12:28 pm
LIAR!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 12:45 pm
Ok, only while on the stripping job.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 12:59 pm
Speaking of which, unless one is a stripper, tear-away pants are a truly dumb thing to wear in public.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 01:46 pm
Grand Duke wrote:
At the other end of the spectrum, as a single man in his 20s, I vote for the front-fastening brassiere as the smartest piece of women's clothing. They should be made standard fitting on all bra's....

Razz

I've had an unfortunate experience with front-opening bras.

I'm a tennis player, and reasonably endowed, so look for comfortable, supportive sports bras. I found one with a front fastening, thought it was a good idea, and bought it.

I wore it for the first time in a competition match - it was comfortable enough and held on OK. I lined up my signature killer forehand, and....sproinggggg! The clips came undone, the straps flew back, pinning my shoulders back, and I was stuck.

Can't hit the ball. Competition match, so I can't leave the court. Opposition, with front view, are in hysterics. My partner at the front of the court isn't aware of the problem, but angry that I missed a bread and butter shot. Had to stay on court, discretely remove the bra - (and believe me, this was not possible - there were spectators by this time Embarrassed) and drop it in the corner, and play on.

This left me with no support at all - which could have been dangerous! Shocked I amused the onlookers, but lost the game Confused

Certainly not a high point of my tennis history!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 01:50 pm
Oof, two black eyes Margo?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:00 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Oh, and possibly the beret.

Hey! I love berets! I can wear them so they keep my head warm, so they block the sun, and they're perfect for bad hair days. ('Course, how am I so late to this topic, was my beret falling down over my eyes again?)

I vote for bras in general as the least comfy and most ridiculous. I hate them.... hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. <I really do hate them!> And I have been professionally fitted... and I have bras that cost more than Nike tennis shoes. They are ridiculous and if I'm actually doing something that calls for that level of "control," like posting on a horse, or running down the street, then why would I want to have my lungs constricted? Wearing a tight undershirt works much better for that.

I'm also not fond of "slips" but at least they are pretty.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 02:18 pm
I might concede that berets can look cute on wimmins, but on men it's just too silly....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 11:40:10