Ladies, Next Time that Someone Calls You a Bitch.......

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:30 am
Hmm, I thought about the age thing a bit more. I don't think women with strong beliefs etc are looked down upon but rather women (and men) who go about their position in a rude or abrasive way.

dlowan suggested (in chat) that in the past it might not have been so and a woman would not have to have been caustic to have the term leveled at her.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:31 am
Craven- Agree. At this point in time, I do not have much personal contact with twenty-somethings. What I do see, If TV is any barometer, IS a general disrespect for one another that is demonstrated in a boisterous fashion. What is worse, these kinds of behaviors are not only accepted, but applauded.

When I wrote the essay, I was definitely NOT thinking about boorish behavior. To me, that sort of behavior is unacceptable at any age, by any gender. I am wondering, for instance, if the degradation of Abuzz is simply a reflection of a more pervasive problem in our society. Wow- Here's meat for more threads! Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:33 am
Craven- Just saw your last post. Dlowan is absolutely right. Years ago, a woman was called a bitch if she behaved in a reasonable, but assertive way.

Men who were nasty were always called pricks. The problem was that there was a double standard, and women who were merely standing up for their rghts were tarred with the same brush as boorish men.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:33 am
Oh God, not the old decay of moral standards . . . back, back . . . keep yer distance, hoary old faker . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:36 am
Phoenix,

I can't agree more (with your eveluation of the current social standing). Today in certain cultures (it's not like this at all in Brazil) agressive attitudes are applauded in some quarters. What comes to mind are those trashy talk shows where the most gratuitous insult often gets a raucous ovation.

Being proud of one's beligerence is also not gender exclusive. Men might be even more prone to be proud of their attitude.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:38 am
Sentanta- Have another cup of coffee, and here's a nice blueberry muffin!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:39 am
Craven- I would love to continue this, but I have a meeting. Let's pick this up later. I have a lot more to say on this!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:41 am
Well, if you have canines, then both the word dog and bitch are usual and positive, especially if you're trying to breed!

But, while I understand what you are saying Craven, Deb... possibly even Setanta Very Happy ... I have heard a woman called bitch or witch for doing precisely what she wants, no more - no less. There is such unequality of the sexes --- throughout the known universe --- that in the few spots where women do stand up for themselves they need all the support they can get.

Just think, if a woman were called bitch in Nigeria, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc. etc. they'd dig a hole, place her in with only her head showing and toss large rocks.

Craven. That avatar is.... bitchy. Can't you use that sweet Sgt. from Toy Story????
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:42 am
Anyway, I like Disobedient Wife better.
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 01:05 pm
I'm going to cancel my trip to Saudi Arabia.
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 07:55 pm
Exactly, Piffka! If they don't want to use the word "bitch" when reading the poem, then change it to "assertive". That's how I read it, anyway, and that was the word I told my daughter to use when I let her read it. Women have been put down for being assertive forever, and all that poem is saying is that "you're better than that-don't let anyone put you down for doing things that are rightfully yours to do".

I also don't think that the poem is in any way telling women to become bitchy to get what they want. Being bitchy's disgusting. Being assertive and achieving goals you've set for yourself no matter how hard others my try and hold you down is admirable.

mckenzie:
When I got married, that line that says "obey" was never even a part of the ceremony...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:45 am
Had a nice long talk with my daughter, who is almost 20. (BTW -- I showed her your picture Craven and she said she thought you looked... young.)

We were just chatting mostly, but I tried to keep track a little at how often we used words, especially bitch & slut, referring to friends and what they were doing. Noted that we also use the phrase "pitching a bitch" in order to get our way.

-- Pardon me if you're offended at how we talk together, but "oh well." --

Anyway, "she is such a bitch" means "she" is doing her typical stupid girl behavior... however "she is a slut" nearly always refers to poor sexual habits of one kind or another, including badmouthing my d. to her b.f.

It is perfectly OK and acceptable to "pitch a bitch" if you are treated badly and have the ear of whoever needs to hear it. In fact, the bitch may be done in total sweet talk with smiles and charm all around.

Just an observation!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:22 pm
Pifkka,

The picture is old, I am young and was younger still back then.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:50 pm
As long as the picture doesn't start getting older - and Craven staying the same.....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 02:23 pm
Ahh, Craven, I know, you told me. But you see, she is a few years younger. So for her to see her mother on a forum with someone near her own age, it is shocking. She also said some nice things, but of course, I knew you wouldn't want to hear that.

Deb -- I did notice a slight flicking of the tongue... and possibly some other odd changes!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:04 pm
Piffka,

After all the mean things Deb says about me I can always use a bone thrown my way.

edit:

I wonder if I can get away with calling Deb the b word here. It's soo tempting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:22 pm
Hmmm - as to the getting away with calling me a bitch, Craven, you maaaay just wish to consider in your deliberations that I am, I think, the only other person on the thread who could logically be offended, since I have said I do not agree with the import of the argument rehabilitating the word!

One assumes that you would be considered to be complimenting most other people here - although you could argue that the re-defining of the word is only putative here, and that for now the word retains, in practice, its normal insulting meaning......

teehee!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:23 pm
The targeted insult is 90% of the allure.

[seriously mulling it over and over] hmmmm [/seriously mulling it over and over]
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:28 pm
Don't mull it so long it loses all its alchohol.......she said drily.....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:29 pm
You doe!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 08:48:41