How to inspire students to quit smoking?

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 01:32 pm
I encourage the OP to keep on being concerned.

There people are KIDS, still. Some away from school the first time.

There is not ONE benefit to smoking.

Anyone who wants a wake-up call should visit the head and neck floor at their closest Veteran's hospital. Not a pretty sight.

Keep talking about it. The kids will hate your for it, but that's what a mentor does. You are not friends to these kids, you are their teacher and guide for getting them ready for the future in the real world. (where, by the way, more and more places will NOT tolerate their smoking)
ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 01:35 pm
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:
There is not ONE benefit to smoking.

you know there are going to be more than a couple of people who disagree with that.

it tastes good (sometimes)
provides a fast, light kick (for some)
looks cool (to some)
gives people something to do with their hands

I haven't really smoked in decades, and I still get a kick out of the smell of a freshly lit cigarette. sooooooo good
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 02:17 pm
@ehBeth,
yeah, i think that's precisely it. hanging out away from teachers, being cool and belonging to the group.

the space would also have to be 'away' from us -- but i think at our school it is possible. I wouldn't hang out there with them, that would ruin the cool of it. But it's hard to compete with just hanging out and smoking, it is. As I myself well remember.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 31 Oct, 2009 06:52 am
@ehBeth,
haven't really smoked in decades, and I still get a kick out of the smell of a freshly lit cigarette. sooooooo good
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord as a non- smoker I hate that smell and I reality hate the smell that a smoker alway carry with him or her and who then transfer to him or her surroundings.

There is no woman ever born that I would have a relationship with if she was a smoker.

Sex is not enough for me to put up with a smoker smell.
0 Replies

justtech3

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 03:35 pm
CADCA is a good organization which can provide training and contacts with experts on this problem. Organizing substance free activities such as sports is one useful strategy. Developing student mentoring and leadership programs is another strategy. Social Norming Campaigns have been shown to be effective, you may unknowingly be overestimating the number of smokers. It is a very easy mistake to make.

You might be surprised at the number of students including smokers who would support restrictions, but get student input before implementing restrictions.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:14 pm
@justtech3,
Slovakia. That's where I am.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:17 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I haven't really smoked in decades, and I still get a kick out of the smell of a freshly lit cigarette. sooooooo good

me too
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:29 pm
We've had very cold weather in the last few days -- that helped a LOT :-)

Also, I spoke to the Seniors today, telling them I am concerned about the amount of freshman joining in the smoking... they were surprised at the numbers (I guess nobody ever pauses to think about these things) and seemed understanding, perhaps they might even feel responsibility and take the freshmen under their wings sorta... we'll see how this plays out. I am certainly happy to be connecting with the seniors well.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:41 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown wrote:
I don't quite understand the aversion to "lecturing"-- particularly if you are at a school.

Because non-smoking is not on the school's curriculum, and the students already know all the information that the lecture would provide them. I think Dasha is on the right track with her very gentle, non-intrusive, diplomatic nudging and alternative-providing.
BillRM

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:53 am
@Thomas,
Thomas when they get out into the "real" world no one is going to be all that gentle with them.

Employers are not going to be happy or eager to employ smokers and therefore have a higher risk group that they need to help pay for health insurance to start with.

They might be better serve if they are inform at how society in general view smoking as a counter balance to peer pressure.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:47 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
They might be better serve if they are inform at how society in general view smoking as a counter balance to peer pressure.

Oh yes, please do that. Help us to grow the revolutionary forces necessary to overthrow the freedom haters. I myself make it habit to light a huge stogie now and then , not because I like smoking very much, but as a giant "**** you" to those who would tell me that I am not allowed my vices. Hopefully these young people have the good sense to follow my lead.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 01:36 pm
@BillRM,
bill, just a note on the margin: this is slovakia, not the u.s. universal health care... so employers don't really care about paying or not paying...they all pay the same.

i will not lecture not because i have something against it- i don't at all. quite the opposite -- but because in this case it would produce no results and perhaps even opposite results that i am looking for.
these students are adults who smoke in their free time outside school premises -- clearly NONE of my official business. informal way is the only way in this case. if i did lecture, they would laugh it off and it could potentially become even 'cooler' than it is now. won't go there.

Today we opened a brand new lovely reading room. a bunch of students are using it already between classes and hopefully it will help. Anyhow, i will keep reporting about success or lack thereof as time goes on.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:25 pm
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:
these students are adults

I think the key to your success (which I fully anticipate) is your recognition of this ^, and the recognition that lecturing isn't appropriate when you're working with adults (not so much with kids either, but that's a separate discussion).

Great news on the reading room - maybe a sign saying "discussion is encouraged" would be nice - kind of like those wonderful "please walk on the grass" signs you find in some parks.

povedzte ?

Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:36 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Employers are not going to be happy or eager to employ smokers and therefore have a higher risk group that they need to help pay for health insurance to start with.

So what? Let the employers be unhappy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 05:06 pm
@dagmaraka,
I know what. Take 'em out for a bike ride. They probably think you're a stodgy old lady, so drop the cool ones on the first hill, and wave on the way back.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 05:18 pm
@dagmaraka,
these students are adults who smoke in their free time outside school premises -- clearly NONE of my official business. informal way is the only way in this case. if i did lecture, they would laugh it off and it could potentially become even 'cooler' than it is now. won't go there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You had stated that the problem is peer pressure turning non-smokers into smokers within a very short time frame.

Now no matter what the legal position might be they are clearly not adults in the developmental aspects of life as adults do not allow, in my opinion, peer pressure to run their lives. That behavior is for teenagers that had not reach adulthood yet.

If they are willing to bend to peer pressure, I see no reason why they would be resistant to adults in positions of respect telling them the facts of how stupid they are being or would be if they gave into peer pressure.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 05:25 pm
@ehBeth,
I think the key to your success (which I fully anticipate) is your recognition of this ^, and the recognition that lecturing isn't appropriate when you're working with adults (not so much with kids either, but that's a separate discussion).
------------------------------------------------------------
Clearly they are not adults in any way but in the legal ways for the reasons I had already given.

Acting toward then as if they was adults when the problem is that they are doing a harmful and stupid thing driven by peer pressure is silly.

She is not working with adults here but kids who the legal system had declare are adults. not the same thing at all.

The adults among them are the ones who laugh at the peer pressure and did not become smokers.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 05:10 am
roger, you're not far from my intentions. i'm taking students to Budapest next friday, then to Kosice.
dagmaraka

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:17 am
@dagmaraka,
Dear people of a2k,

I may now report that I have utterly failed to prevent anyone from smoking... in fact, after the last class I joined my students in a pub...and had a smoke, too.

But, I had a blast this semester, especially last few weeks. Smokers or not, I am fortunate to have some wonderful delightful students.

And...as the semester closes, I say hello a2k!
dadpad

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 01:18 am
Lovely to see you again dagalicious.