Popular Potluck Entrees?

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 07:51 pm
I'm supposed to go to a potluck dinner for Mo's current sports team. There will be about 20 kids so maybe 35-40 adults. Several families are assigned entrees so I can probably cut the numbers in half.

I like to cook but I'm not used to cooking for large numbers or for people I don't know. I want to play it safe.

So far I've come up with:

Drive out to Ikea and buy a bunch of their Swedish meatballs -- I hear they're pretty good.

Swing by the local pizzeria and pick up a nice selection of pies.

And.... ummmmm...... nothing.

Do you have any ideas of entrees that feed a lot, stay nice over time and appeal to both children and adults?

Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 8,196 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:21 pm
@boomerang,
Sglass does a thing for pot-lucks with three or four different kinds of beans sauteed in either a crock-pot or a big Dansk kettle for several hours with, I think, a ham hock. She's out right now, away from her computer. I'll show her this thread when she comes back and maybe she'll share a recipe with you.

Pot-luck suppers are very big here in Hawaii for some reason. These people are awfully sociable and it's a good, inexpensive way to get together and enojoy each other's company.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 08:55 pm
Homemade mac'n'cheese, or mild chicken wings.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 09:07 pm
I'd go for the Swedish meatballs, but the kids probably won't.
Pizza is always a crowd pleaser - and can be eaten with your fingers. Perfect!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 09:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
When I was growing up, my mother made some incredible homemade Swedish meatballs. She made them because my stepfather's family came from Sweden and Finland. His family also cooked up some lovely Swedish meatballs for family holiday events as well.

The Swedish meatballs could be a hit with all age groups. Now if the meatballs were competing with the likes of pizza, then I'd say that the kids would ignore the meatballs head straight for the pizza.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 11:47 pm
@boomerang,
liaise with the other victims

the entree families might have selected pizza

so it's chicken casserole and rice

what time should i arrive

0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 12:19 am
@boomerang,
A large turkey, with dressing and gravy, carved at the destination so it stays warm.

A large ham with your favourite glaze, sliced when you get there.

Chili con carne with garlic bread or served on rice. Keep the chili warm in a crockpot/slow cooker.

Pulled pork with buns. Coleslaw on the side or, even better, on the sandwich. (I have a recipe that we slow-cook in the oven, as opposed to on the BBQ smoker.)

Greek souvlaki, cooked either indoors or outdoors.

Ceili said chicken wings. Buffalo wings are easy to do. You don't have to deep-fry them.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 01:38 am
@boomerang,
taco casserole is easy, and keeps pretty well.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 03:52 am
My go to in less diet conscious days was mac and cheese. These days I'd probably dice in a lot more vegetables and a lot less cheese.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 05:28 am
@boomerang,
Lasagna.

Chili (especially if the weather is cooperative).

Will there be a grill? What is the location like?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 06:16 am
This is a great season for a sweet potato casserole. I used to make one for my community potluck, until I got lazy. Now I buy a dessert from Sams' and the hell with it!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 07:28 am
Oh such good ideas! Thanks all.

I wish I was on desert crew. I love to bake and I'm pretty good at it. I never really get the chance to bake anymore since we try not to have a lot of sweets around the house.

I'm thinking if I'm on entrees that I need to do something fairly substantial. I make a decent slow cooked pork shoulder. I have to drive to a distant supermarket to get one to cook though since my grocery doesn't sell them.

Maybe brisket? It isn't overly expensive and it's easy to cook enough to feed a lot of people. I could slice it up and reheat it just before leaving.

The event is at the Catholic Church that sponsors Mo's team. I'm assumming they have a kitchen since it's also a school but I don't know if we'll have access to it so it's probably best to have something ready to serve.
0 Replies