WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SYMPHONIES?

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:29 pm
Lightwizard - Great idea. There is so much more in the classical repetoire than just symphonies. I would love to talk about some of my favorites. Go for it!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:00 pm
Done!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 03:40 pm
Another favorite of mine is the Copland "Symphony No. 3" with that marvelous fanfare big tune. You can't go wrong with the Bernstein reissue especially with the "Organ Symphony" attached:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000029XW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 06:40 pm
I don't know the Bernstein 3rd sym, but I've listened to a lot of organ music played by E Sour Pigs.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 06:41 pm
I don't know the Bernstein 3rd sym, but I've listened to a lot of organ music played by E Sour Pigs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 04:46 am
I once saw "E Sour Pigs" in concert, and he was a hoot. He had an electronic organ, with the most and largest speakers that I have ever seen on stage. He discussed the pieces before he played them. I came away from that concert with the idea that he really was a great teacher, and adored what he was doing!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:23 pm
There's a recording conducted by Copland himself which is also a significant addition to any CD library. Michael Murray is less um-pah-pah than E. Power Biggs. Not to mention that Telarc's recording techniques still do not fail to awe.

One of the last recordings with Ormandy and the Philadelphia with Michael Murray:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000003CSK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:25 pm
My walls flux in and out when I play this one and the neighbors take vacations.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:31 pm
I had a pinball machine in the basement of my house when I lived in NY. It was at the end of a long room. When we played anything that had a heavy bass response, we had to put a heavy book on the glass. The first time we played something, the glass started to resonate, and we thought that it was going to smash.

The recording was that of Harry Partch playing the Marimba Eroica!

Link to Marimba Eroica
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:57 pm
The last recording of the Copland with Bernstein (much better sonics and sans the E. Sour Biggs):

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000001G7A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 01:58 pm
It does include "Quiet City" which should be posted on the Symphonic Poems thread.
0 Replies