WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SYMPHONIES?

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 11:09 pm
Here's a link to an article about the new movement in the suite, "Pluto:"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/679827.stm

The Berstein I assume is lost (if was a TV performance which was never recorded).
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 03:20 pm
GW,
Is there someway we cuuld have those producers hurt, for not saving such a fine program. Maybe we could chip in and hire some thugs Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 03:34 pm
If you mean completing an unfinished work by a great composer, Holst may have been the easiest to compose a "Pluto" conclusion. The problem is that the "Neptune" section drifts off with that ethereal women's and/or boy's choir (the Utah Symphony version) as if one is drifting off into deep space, beyond our Solar System. It would be jarring to me to all of a sudden have another piece of music spoil it and it would be anti-climatic. Besides, now astronomers are not that sure that Pluto is really a bonefide planet being an irregular little rock hanging out there beyond the gas giants. A planetoid or even an asteroid? Anyway, the review of the first recording I remember was not happy with the addition.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:05 pm
favorite symphonies
LW and Joanne: violin.
I've been away from the computer since, I think, last Wednesday, and I must leave again this afternoon. But when I return I'll enjoy enlarging my list. BTW the sixth was among Tchaikovsky's favorites.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 08:08 pm
Effen you like fiddle symphonies, check out La Symphonie Espagnol by Eduard Lalo, five movements, glorified violin concerto . . . you'll love it . . .

The sixth was amazing, in the first movement alone, there are eight changes of tempo . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 12:53 pm
favorite symphonies
Yes, Setanta. The Lalo is georgeous. I've always had a special appreciation for it, in part because my father performed it sometime in the 60s. Recently a violin teacher at our university performed it (wonderfully I might add) with a local community orchestra. It was a night to remember.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 01:19 pm
I have the Perlman version of "Symphonie Espagnol" -- it has somewhat of a symphonic form, but with the violen solos and tone poem quality, I'd more likely put in into a tone poem category.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:20 pm
Bach- Tocata in D-Minor
Ravel- Bolero
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:26 pm
Holst The Planets
Dvorak From the New World
etc etc etc
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 06:31 pm
Beethoven's No.4.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:35 am
truth
By all means, Dys: Dvorak's 9th. Satt_F, I like Beethoven's odd numbered symphonies best, particularly the 3rd, 7th, and 9th--altlhough the Pastoral (6th) has a special charm.
I heard our local symphony play Mozart's 40th and Haydn's London Symphony (140?). I treasure them both, always have.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:26 pm
JLNobody..
Among Beethoven's symphonies, I like no.4 and no.8, and I exceptionally love Toscanini's no.3 (eroica).
I love Mozart's music of course, but I prefer his operas and concertos to symphonies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 03:38 pm
Actually, the "London" or "Salomon" were a series of symphonies, numbers 93 to 104, and refers to Haydn's sojourn in England. This includes the "Surprise" (no. 94--an extended musical joke), the "Miracle" (no. 96), the "Military" (no. 100), the "Clock" (no. 101), the "Drum-roll" (no. 103) and Symphony no. 104, which is usually referred to as the London symphony (due to its great popularity in that city)--which is probably to what you refer. When Prince Esterhazy (sp?) died in 1790, an empresario in London, Herr Salomon, went to Vienna to try to convince Mozart and Haydn to come to London, where he had organized a very successful marketing of concerts in the Hanover Square Rooms. Mozart was apparently uninterested, even though his wealthy patron was now dead. But Haydn took him up on his offer, and arrived in 1791.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 11:50 am
Mahler: #1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, Das Lied...

Nielson: #5

Prokofiev: #5

Shostakovitch: #3, 10, 13, 14.

Sibelius: #1, 2, 3, 5.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:41 pm
Piffka wrote:
I prefer Beethoven's Sixth, the Pastoral.

For suites, I think, Handel's Water Music.

Beethovens sixth is my favourite symphony.

Since you like Handels water music you might want to listen to the eight symphonies of William Boyce one of Handels contemporaries.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:52 pm
dvoraks 9th and beethovens 9th would be faves
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:14 pm
Beethoven is one of the tops on my list, but I'll have to think about the rest, although Tchaikovsky and Sibelius would follow pretty closely.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:53 pm
truth
C.I., IMO Sebilius's violin concerto is one of the greatest.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:56 pm
The Pines of Rome - Respighi
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:56 am
This is "Favorite Symphonies," although I do have my favorite tone poems and concertos. Perhaps I should start a thread on those?
0 Replies