Patron saints

chai2

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:05 pm
Wikipedia definition: A patron saint is a saint who is regarded as the intercessor and advocate in heaven of a nation, place, craft, activity, class, or person[1]. Patron saints, because they have already transcended to the metaphysical, are able to intercede effectively for the needs of their special charges. Some consider it a special devotion to God by displaying humility in asking a saint for intercession rather than expecting to be answered themselves. [2]

Yes, well they are supposed to be an intercessor and advocate. Where did that all start?

Don't patron saints sound more like minor gods?

Name a problem, or a cause, and there's at least one patron saint and god for it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 3,902 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:24 pm
@chai2,
I remember thinking some of the patrons of this and that as being somewhat funny. Or maybe I had twisted humor even back in my believing days.

St. Jude, patron saint of the impossible
St. Anthony -
"Dear St. Anthony, please come around.
Something's lost and must be found."

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
If you want to sell your house, bury St Joseph in the front lawn. Sounds a bit like CSI.

IS there a patron saint of Sore rotator cuffs?
or a patron saint of breakfass toppings?
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:34 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

Absolutely. When the pantheistic Roman catalogue of demi-gods went out and Christianity came in, the pentes and the lares were simply replaced by the new pantheon of so-called saints. Cupid became St. Valentine, Neptune was renamed St. Elmo, etc. etc. etc.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:48 pm
St. Kellogg is the saint of breakfast toppings, I think.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:50 pm
@farmerman,
> IS there a patron saint of Sore rotator cuffs?
St. Supraspinatus, bishop & martyr

> or a patron saint of breakfass toppings?
St. Syruppa, virgin
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:06 pm
I've mentioned the book American Gods on this forum.

Really good book.

In it, there's a Mr. Wednesday, aka Odin, and a Mr. Jackell and Mr. Ibis, who run a funeral palor in Cairo, IL.

Ya see, as people started disbelieving in them in their country of origin, gods from all over began to migrate, and picked up new careers they were already good at.

They live among us.
roger

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:11 pm
@chai2,
Sure

The Virgin Mary
The Saints
Jesus
Last, but not least, God.
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:16 pm
@chai2,
loved American Gods

have you read "Anansi Boys"
chai2

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:27 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

loved American Gods

Yes, it made me wish I was dead!
djjd62

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:34 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

loved American Gods

Yes, it made me wish I was dead!

if neil gaimans take on death as visualized in his sandman comics is accurate, i wouldn't mind being dead mtself

http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1824746module8070115photo_death.gif
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:34 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Wikipedia definition: A patron saint is a saint who is regarded as the intercessor and advocate in heaven of a nation, place, craft, activity, class, or person[1]. Patron saints, because they have already transcended to the metaphysical, are able to intercede effectively for the needs of their special charges. Some consider it a special devotion to God by displaying humility in asking a saint for intercession rather than expecting to be answered themselves. [2]

Yes, well they are supposed to be an intercessor and advocate. Where did that all start?

Name a problem, or a cause, and there's at least one patron saint and god for it.

No. Patron saints do not sound like minor gods to me. They sound like saints that have the ability to intercede in the behalf of a mortal human that directs his/her prayers to that saint. Also, I was under the belief that many intercession requests are directed to Mary. And, as I was once told, sort of tongue in cheek perhaps, what nice Jewish boy (aka, Jesus) would not do something for his mother.

Let us not forget that Catholicism civilized a great part of the planet. I do not believe there were any other qualified efforts.
saab

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 11:28 pm
A saint is not God.

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that it does not, in fact, make anyone a saint. Rather, it recognizes a saint In the Church, the title of Saint " with a capital 'S' " refers to a person who has been formally canonized (officially recognised) by the Roman Catholic Church, and is therefore believed by this church to be in Heaven.

In the Eastern Orthodox Church a Saint is defined as anyone who is in Heaven, whether recognized here on earth, or not. By this definition, Adam and Eve, Moses, the various Prophets, the Angels and Archangels are all given the title of "Saint". Sainthood in the Orthodox Church does not necessarily reflect a moral model, but the communion with God
Therefore, a more complete definition of what a saint is, has to do with the way that saints, through their humility and their love of humankind, saved inside them the entire Church, and loved all people.

In the Anglican Church, the title of Saint " with a capital 'S' " refers to a person who has been elevated by popular opinion as a pious and holy person. The saints are seen as models of holiness to be imitated, and as a 'cloud of witnesses' that strengthen and encourage the believer during his or her spiritual journey (Hebrews 12:1). The saints are seen as elder brothers and sisters in Christ. Official Anglican creeds recognise the existence of the saints in heaven.

Lutheranism

In the Lutheran Church, according to the Augsburg Confession the term "Saint" is used in manner as the Roman Catholic
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 01:35 am
To put it very simple: Saints are Popstars in religious life.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 07:27 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sure

The Virgin Mary
The Saints
Jesus
Last, but not least, God.

so true
jespah

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 09:27 am
@chai2,
I believe A2K's patron saint might be Mary Pope.
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 05:22 pm
@Foofie,
Agree with your interpretation, Foofie.

As in life, we often ask friends or special family members to intercede on our behalf. Intercede for us, for whatever reason we feel lacking to do so ourselves.

@chai2, using the word "supposed" in your question...does that word not color your question with pejorative opinion?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:21 am
Of course, the Catholic church began early on to turn Christianity into a not-so-cleverly disguised pantheism and the Old Testament Yahweh is now lost in their distant past (besides being "too Jewish"). Begin with the Holy Trinity, stir in Saint Mary, Saint Joseph and keep stirring in all the saints and it begins to be quite clear. Now, many are trying to gather around an "intelligent designer." The Catholic church won't endorse ID but recently moved gingerly closer to pushing the Old Testament further into myth and fable by apologizing for ignoring Darwin and accepting that he was on the right track, and that evolution is a mechanism they're desperately trying to reconcile with their superstition.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 03:07 am
Saint is a fancy word for believer when just referring to Christian people who believe in Jesus. Saints are living or dead people who believe and have faith in Jesus.
0 Replies