Signature dish - what's yours?

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 05:49 pm
@msolga,
Actually, I don't think it actually included the innards, come to think of it ... definitely pig's head & the trotters, though ......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:04 pm
@mismi,
My mother was from Boston and baked beans and bean sandwiches were part of her life. My cousins used to make baked beans part of christmas dinner and I'd always take a spoonful. Turns out I don't like all the sweetness - but, I've been thinking about doing baked beans without the sweetness, or maybe just a little, but still not southwestern or italian... and this recipe, sans the sugar, sounds like it might work for me as a change..

Jespah's sounds very close to what I usually do, except not in a crock pot.

(I have to remember this thread)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:05 pm
The ukrainian nut roll is making me hungry..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:26 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
I guess my "bring a plate" signature dish is my baked ricotta & spinach dish. It's not so much that it appears as a result of hot demand (though it actually is very nice!), it's because I haven't yet found a better one to produce for gatherings.: "Here she comes ... with the bloody baked ricotta ...... AGAIN!" Laughing

I'll include this recipe, for good measure. It's actually very good. To be really excellent, all the ingredients need to be really fresh. It's a breeze to make, too!:

Quote:
SPINACH RICOTTA PIE:

* 2 x 250 g (5 oz) packets of frozen spinach
* 1 kg (2 lb) fresh ricotta cheese
* 5 free range eggs
* 2 tablespoons fresh dill (I substitute with fresh parsley when there's no dill available. Works fine.)
* sea salt & cracked black pepper
* 250 g (8 0z) cherry tomatoes
* 150 g (5 oz) freshly made fetta cheese, roughly crumbled

- Preheat oven to 160C (320F).
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave, or in a saucepan over medium heat. Then squeeze out all the liquid.
- Place the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta, eggs, dill (or parsley), salt & pepper & combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a 12 cups (4 1/4 pint) capacity ovenproof baking dish.
- Top with cherry tomatoes, cut side up, & sprinkle with the fetta.
- Bake for one hour, or until the pie is set & slightly golden.
- Serve warm or cold (with a simple salad.)

~
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:33 pm
@msolga,
PS. EGGS are not free range, they are pretty much sessile . They just stay where we put em.
msolga

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:45 pm
@farmerman,
You just caused me Google "sessile & definition", farmer! Wink
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:48 pm
@msolga,
usually it means something attached to the bottom of the sea with a stalk, but in this case, it also means that it just sits there lookin very rested.
msolga

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:51 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you! All is clear now! Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:00 pm
@msolga,
I enjoyed seeing the word sessile again - it's been a while. Such a descriptive word.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I do like the sweetness...though I probably shouldn't - but there has to be a balance. It is why I don't really go by the recipe. I start with the smallest amount and add until I reach that balance.

It is definitely a good recipe...and with the ham and the cheese in there - it's like chilli in that it can be eaten alone for dinner with some nice crusty bread.

I shouldn't fuss about it being my signature dish...it's just that any kind of baked bean dish seems so "done". Of course this is definitely a detour from the traditional.
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:36 pm
25 years ago my signature dish was terrific southern fried chicken with gravy, rice and corn.

Today my sig dish is t-bone steak on the outdoor grill, baked potato and corn or broccoli.

however, most people I know and eat my cooking appreciate the way I bake fresh salmon with mesquite seasoning.

And a peanut butter and top of the line blackberry jelly is a personal fave.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:03 pm
fast and yummy soup. I make this very often.

All cans of beans and tomatoes undrained.

1 can black beans
1 can red beans
1can garbanzos
1 can diced tomatoes with chiles
1 pound hamburger
I/2 red onion, chopped
1 pkg dry ranch dressing
1 pkg taco seasoning
2 cups water

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some lime and sour cream potato chips
panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:33 pm
@mags314772,
that's an interesting recipe...nice 'n easy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:41 pm
I guess my "signature" dish is a fettuccine alfredo where I tack on "di mare"
I look for good sea scallops and shrimp and a few mussels to give it impact.

along with garlic bread and a small fresh salad and a glass of chilled pinot grigio...good eatin'
Philis

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:53 pm
@panzade,
I want to eat at your house

All the years hells kitchen has been on tv I finally watched it for the last 5 chefs that were left and saw the winner picked. I guess he is not so bad after all. The 2 guys left both deserved to win and be the head chef at atarax {sp} restaurant in NY City.
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1336/hellskitchentopchef.jpg
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:19 am
Anything burnt, unfortunately.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 10:51 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I've only made it 3 or 4 times but its something I'm most chuff about. I improvised a very spicy and delicious homemade gumbo (using ground turkey as a foundation). One of the times I even used ground veggie/meatless meat.

Lots of chopped up hot peppers and fresh garlic. Even ventured into using some fresh okra.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:07 am
@tsarstepan,
I found out that if you dont wash okra after you pick it, it wont have that "snot layer" inside.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 11:08 am
@panzade,
Ok, you're doin' the cookin' at the next virtual a2k gathering..

I play with fettucine alfredo too - I make it with half and half, a smidge of chile pepper or curry or black pepper, maybe some garlic or shallots, and add whatever strikes me at the time, mushrooms, fresh sausage, or .. nothing except grated cheese. I'm fish wary here in New Mexico, but would use if if I still lived near the coast.
panzade

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 02:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh yeah! I like your impromptu toss-ins...gonna incorporate them.

I gotta say tho...I believe ALL the Seafood I shop for is previously frozen. I have no access to fresh unless I go out and catch it.
0 Replies