How could an innocent boy become an evil?

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:54 am
I remeber that I had a book named " Picture of Dorian Gray" written by Oscar Wilde. It is a sad story. Have anyone read it? Here is a questions. How could an innocent boy become an evil? And what will cause a person to give up his morality in this society?
(Examples will be very appreciated.)

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 03:43 am
That morality tale, The Picture of Dorian Grey, intended to show the results of what was once known in English as dissipation. (It is rather ironic, coming from Oscar Wilde.) The basic premise is that Dorian, innocent only to the extent that any child is innocent, becomes "evil" through chasing after things in life which are, or seem to be pleasant. The story also hangs on how the "Devil's bargain" of the portrait allows him to indulge more heavily and more frequently in alcohol, late nights, gambling, sex--without showing the outward signs or feeling the negative effects.

The how is pretty simple. These things can be highly entertaining, can be fun, for a young man. Additionally, such activities are associated with young men in groups, and often a young man will indulge in such activities in order to be accepted in a group of individuals whom he admires. This situation is special because he can do so without immediately paying the price for his dissipation.
Rachel Muse

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:02 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks for your words, Setanta. I had a basic review about this book. I feel so sorry for the end of this story. His death ended his ugly life.
There are a lot of temptations in this world. Our Morality save us from the evil. If everyone cares about other people and live a right life, then how beautiful the world will be!
Recently, I got the news of the president of USA, Mr.Obama, got the Nobel peace prize. Congratulations to him. There are a lot of comments about him in this world. I think world peace is the most important thing on this earth.
Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:48 pm
@Rachel Muse,
Rachel Muse wrote:
I think world peace is the most important thing on this earth.

I agree.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 07:04 pm
@Setanta,
Rachel Muse wrote:
I think world peace is the most important thing on this earth.

I like to make a toast to world peace. But only on Groundhog Day.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 07:07 pm
@rosborne979,
I'd like to make a toast to groundhogs, baby-back ribs uuummmmm good.
0 Replies

Rachel Muse

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:49 pm
@rosborne979,
What does the Groundhog Day really mean? I search the answers on Internet. I only can find a movie and a basic introduction to Groundhog Day. Does it have any special meanting in your tradition? I will be very appreciated if you can tell me that.
dadpad

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 12:56 am
@Rachel Muse,
Its just a better way to say wombat day.
aidan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:04 am
@Rachel Muse,
Quote:
What does the Groundhog Day really mean? I search the answers on Internet. I only can find a movie and a basic introduction to Groundhog Day. Does it have any special meanting in your tradition? I will be very appreciated if you can tell me that.

Quote:
Groundhog Day
n
1. (in the US and Canada) February 2nd, when, according to tradition, the groundhog emerges from hibernation; if it sees its shadow, it returns to its burrow for six weeks as a sunny day indicates a late spring, while a cloudy day would mean an early spring

When I was a little girl in school - it was a big deal. We'd all wait breathlessly for the groundhog to emerge and hear what it had done - we'd make happy groundhog day cards for each other - but I lived in the northeast United States and winter was cold and snowy - so we all looked forward to spring.

I don't think they make such a big deal of it now in schools. Maybe they never did down south where winters are very mild - but I know by the time I had grown up and was teaching - groundhog day had become just another day.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 01:37 am
@aidan,

Groundhogs celebrate such few holidays.
U don 't see them setting off firecrackers on the 4th of July
nor even enjoying Christmas nor New Year 's.

Something must be done.

David
0 Replies

Rachel Muse

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 02:47 am
@dadpad,
Thank you very much. This time , I get two new great days, Groundhog Day and Wombat day. It is very interesting to see those day are named by cute animals.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:00 am
Wombats are an abomination unto the Lord--as are most things which come from Oz.
0 Replies

Rachel Muse

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:05 am
@aidan,
I can understand your beautful memory about childhood. When I was a little girl with the age under 10 years old, I ,with a lot of friends, usually went to moutains to check if those wild rabbits or other little animals had waked up from the hibernation . We also check those plants that are still have leaves in winter and bring some picecs of leaves back and make them as book mark. It is a wonderful momery.
Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 03:23 am
@Rachel Muse,
Plants which retain their leaves in winter are known as "evergreens" in English.
Rachel Muse

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:32 pm
@Setanta,
I see. Thank you, Setanta.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 06:36 pm
I just read Dorian Gray again a few days ago! Great short story.

Cycloptichorn
Rachel Muse

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Glad to know that, thanks. If you have any good short stories, pls tell us. Then we can discuss those stories again.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 06:10 pm
@Rachel Muse,
Rachel Muse wrote:

In the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray, there is a scene where toasting to World Peace is featured. My post was a reference to that scene.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 06:16 pm
@Rachel Muse,
Rachel Muse wrote:
How could an innocent boy become an evil?

http://api.ning.com/files/vpVxQeNmkOZO72HghjvmP3pUJr7ea6ZHkEqn6xOhIv7auQMYFM10shDRXv3pmCcUeNk-j5gBr*E-gLU8bKM-pC7qM90e4-Mr/omen1.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 06:25 pm
http://thyferalside.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/07_children.jpg