Keith Olbermann's idea of a financial strike against abusive health insurance companies

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:23 am
I was impressed by Keith Olbermann’s 10/7/09 Special Comments in which he suggested a financial strike against health insurance companies might be effective. He feared, however, such a strike withholding of health insurance premium payments could cause people to loose their health care coverage.

I suggest that Olbermann’s lawyers research if it would be possible for an Escrow Account be established for each of the offending health insurance companies to which people could deposit their monthly premium payments. Would this protect people’s health insurance maintenance while withholding the money from the insurance company. This tactic could be used to persuade health insurance companies to end their practice of disqualifying coverage due to a preexisting conditions and other care limitations.

The following is an example of such an escrow account.

http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/division_insurance/ihcseh/orders/ao98ihc03.pdf

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,092 • Replies: 1
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 07:44 am
I have found that "pre-exisiting" conditions is a real hidden scam used by insurance companies to raise premiums.

I had my contract for medical coverage go from $500 to $800 because of
benign calcium deposits seen on an '02 mammogram (not being treated for this and I did not even know i had this very common condition) and NO changes for over 7 years
and
taking Detrol-LA - a very treatable condition. (overactive bladder)

So no one is being "denied" coverage - it's just that the insurance companies that raise the rates to an unaffordable premium.

I can put money in the bank for an emergecny and save it myself instead.
0 Replies