Religious Nuts Kill Own Daughter—Is Their Sentence Appropriate?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Fine with me. It's still a damned tragedy brought about by the worst sort of ignorance, to me.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:23 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It certainly is a tragedy. It's the kind of thing that has made me question the value of freedom of religion in the past.

One thing I'd like to see in America is to stop giving religions tax-free status. If they perform charitable duties like feeding the poor that should require the same non-profit requirements that any other secular charity would but they should not get the easy ride they now get.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

It certainly is a tragedy. It's the kind of thing that has made me question the value of freedom of religion in the past.

One thing I'd like to see in America is to stop giving religions tax-free status. If they perform charitable duties like feeding the poor that should require the same non-profit requirements that any other secular charity would but they should not get the easy ride they now get.

But, but-t-t-t that means the Evul Federul Government will be goin after our churches! Damn Liberal godless commies!

Never happen in a million years man

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
http://www.unleavenedbreadministries.org/?page=neumann

scroll down to

Quote:
Leilani Neumann's Press Release
5/23/09

Many people were looking for a reaction from me. My emotion runs too deep to be seen externally. My faith in God does not waver in the midst of this storm. We have peace in God, regardless of the decision made yesterday. Our emotions do not hinge on how, or if, the rest of the world approves of our actions. We live for God’s approval alone, standing with the apostles and many others willing to be thrown into the fiery furnace if need be, but we WILL NOT worship or bow down to any other God.

Quote:
Our child, Madeline Kara Neumann, did not show any sign of pain or agony when she was ill during this short time frame before she stopped breathing. Our children have never been afraid to speak their mind to us about their needs. They are very highly intelligent children, who formulate their own ideas and belief system. They can freely tell you why they believe in God and why they also trusted God to heal their sister. Madeline Kara was a very mature Christian of deep faith in God’s Word; she did her own study on doctors and medicine exactly one week prior to her death. I did not ask her to do this study; she did it without my knowledge and told me about it the next day. She did it out of concern for a dear friend of ours who had a rare type of cancer. Kara found out through her study of God’s Word that the Bible did not advocate doctors or medicine but, rather, that modern-day medicine is a counterfeit to God’s healing power. On the Monday morning prior to her death, I was passing by her bedroom when she stopped me and shared with me the various scriptures she had found that led to her conclusions, and then proceeded to give me a piece of paper where she had this scripture on it (Jeremiah 46:11). She told me this paper was to be given to this dear friend of ours. The police have a copy of this paper and her brothers and sister can verify this account.

Do people have the time to change their belief system in a moment of crisis? NO. Should they give up on faith when it’s being tested? No, otherwise they don’t really have faith. The Bible is very relevant in my life and in the lives of my family. If we had any doubts in any part of the Bible, then we would have to say it’s all a lie, but NO, we believe the whole Word of God is applicable to us for this modern day, and in preparing us for the years ahead. The medical sciences cannot heal all diseases. Doctors and nurses make mistakes that can sometimes be irreversible and fatal. A mistake made in the hospital is respected and hushed, but they will not be investigated because this fits the mentality of most of the people in power; therefore, everything else done to care for a sick child outside of these parameters becomes criminal. Yet, with all the many deaths occurring within the sanctuary of revered hospitals, how anyone can sit in the seat of judgment concerning our daughter’s death is completely irrational.

Dale and I thought we were within our rights to pray for our daughter’s recovery. The last thing on our mind was to harm our daughter in any way. I think the law should be more clearly written before any charges can be made against parents who pray. Where is the law that we broke? Make sure everyone knows that this is no more the America we thought it was. And please don’t try to hide it behind “Reckless Homicide" charges or "Neglect” because the real issue is our government is anti-God.

The hypocrisy has been atrocious. How can the Assistant District Attorney say he believes in prayer, ask others to pray for his family members, and then go and prosecute someone for praying for their own family member? How can these people walk into a church when they would not allow us to open a Bible during that trial?

Though our family has felt extreme pain in our daughter Kara’s passing, the additional grief in facing these charges has created compassion in my heart for all those who have been betrayed by their own government. It is not time to be scared and back in a corner; it is time to wake up and do something about this. How many more citizens’ rights will be violated if we do not have a government who fears God more than man? I am strong, simply because I fear God alone.

It appears that Leilani Neumann at least feels they handled things appropriately.

It's going to be an interesting test case at appeal in Wisconsin.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
worst sort of ignorance
I have to disagree. The worst sort of ignorance is the sort that sends tons of food stuffs to such as sub-sahara africa (for example) which only serves to provide nutrition and hope for millions of people to the extent that they reproduce at an alarming rate producing millions of infants that have as their only future---starvation and slow painful death. This is the sort of ignorance that I find most abhorrent and comes from western civilization in the spirit of "well-meaning."
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I know it won't happen but a man can dream. I actually do believe in the concept of freedom of religion, and separation of church and state, and that actually might be an argument for their tax exemption.

But at the same time, I feel strongly in that religion is fundamentally harmful (in that it's a fundamentally a belief in falsehood) and want to see less of it. I think I'll donate to the atheist bus ads campaign. Atheists naturally tend to be so much less organized than organized religion is and the religious advertising far outnumbers it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:39 pm
@dyslexia,
LOL, I had to decide not to jump on the "worst" part of that just to find common ground and avoid being pedantic. But your example still surprised me.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:40 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

No, not denying...I guess it is hard for me to believe that in this case they were actually trying to kill their child, apparently they were feeding clothing, loving that child within their own belief of caring. Apparently, they had a false belief that prayer would heal the child. Yes, this is a form of negligence. But it is not because they were trying to kill the child.

Their belief in prayer alone to heal her from the disease led them to believe they were doing what is best for the child. This is ignorance. It can be corrected. It is a horrible reality that this child was killed in this manner. But it was not because the parents were not feeding her, or caring for her needs in the best way they knew how. At least that is what I gleaned from my reading. I would like to believe the best in people though.

Still in all, there are consequences to every action and they deserve to bear the burden of those consequences which are the death of a child and whatever sentence the court deems appropriate. I have to say I lean toward taking the other children away until they know for sure that the ignorance has been corrected. But that gets into a web of confused and blurred lines I am not willing to trod through.

First of all, I never said that they were trying to kill the child or anything similar. I said that the child was dying in stages right under their noses and they had many chances to get help. They must have known that the child was dreadfully seriously sick and getting sicker. Secondly, when you say "until they know for sure that the ignorance is corrected," such a determination should probably take into account that all through the trial and even after sentencing they have been maintaining that they were right.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:42 pm
@ehBeth,
That just makes me ill.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:43 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I can't imagine any punishment for a parent could be worse than losing a child. Maybe they should be required to do work in a children's hospital where children are treated by doctors and medical intervention and where a person's spiritual beliefs do not determine the outcome. Jail time doesn't really make much sense. They truly believed they were doing the right thing and were not trying to kill their daughter. This is a case of ignorance and brainwashing (they were probably raised with these beliefs), so I think education and experience would have a better long term effect on their conscience. Maybe they will have an epiphany and be able to council other people who believe as they do that they might want to try something beyond prayer to save a life.

One would hope that this community service would make an intriguing alternative to this "one month every year prison for six years" deal which seems bizarre.

But keep in mind how deep this brainwashing is in their mindset. If I was one of the parents of one of the patients in the children's ward where they would be forced to perform this community service, I would be worried that they would try to save my child with prayer and go around removing IV and medical drips from the patients and interfering with the nurses and doctors daily routine.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:45 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Do you have the same vitriol for parents who don't make their kids wear seat belts, or parents who don't lock their gun cabinet?

Yes. And for those parents who drive drunk regardless they have their children in the car or not while their recklessly driving.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I think I'll donate to the atheist bus ads campaign.

Looks like they don't accept donations directly (directing to the British Humanist Organization).

Anyone know of an American equivalent? I'm feeling like putting out an ad in their home town but would rather donate than put in the time myself.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
well yeah, noone ever accused me of having well reasoned thoughts. I do tend to shoot from hip. I think it was Bernie who suggested I compose my posts before submitting them, I don't listen well.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
I think I'll donate to the atheist bus ads campaign.

Looks like they don't accept donations directly (directing to the British Humanist Organization).

Anyone know of an American equivalent? I'm feeling like putting out an ad in their home town but would rather donate than put in the time myself.

Couldn't you just, yaknow, put nothing on the side of the bus? Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:03 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

First of all, I never said that they were trying to kill the child or anything similar. I said that the child was dying in stages right under their noses and they had many chances to get help. They must have known that the child was dreadfully seriously sick and getting sicker. Secondly, when you say "until they know for sure that the ignorance is corrected," such a determination should probably take into account that all through the trial and even after sentencing they have been maintaining that they were right.

That would be up to the court. Just my opinions Brandon...I didn't want you to think I was ducking out on you...but I am pretty much done with this topic. My greatest concern is for the remaining children. I usually try to see the best in people...that is naive I know. There are horrible people in the world that do horrible things. They do need to be held accountable and punished for their actions.

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I see very little between these idiots and the monsters that drown their children in the tub.

There is a huge difference between intent to kill and ignorance that leads to death.
I haven’t called for the chair on these idiots, but I do think 6 months provides too little deterrent for like-minded morons. Due to their wanton disregard for human life; I do think an argument could be made for statutory intent; but would agree it would be excessive to pursue it… and further believe putting it to a jury as first degree intentional homicide would likely end in acquittal, because intentional homicide carries a mandatory life sentence in Wisconsin.

On the other hand, if you clip somebody with your car while drunk in Wisconsin, even if it’s your first offense, you’re facing up to 25 years. Are these morons less guilty than the fella who has a genuine accident on his way home from the bar? What these people did was no accident, and they knew the stakes. They had considerably more opportunity to consider the consequences and never relented until after the child was dead. Religious, or not, these people had ample opportunity to consider the consequences of their actions (lack thereof), and chose to behave in a fashion that resulted in the death of a child.

I don’t see “religion” as a compelling excuse for demented behavior, whether it be stoning, honor killing, child molesting or simply standing idly by while a child dies from an easily treatable condition. Every person aware of that child’s condition that did nothing, and told no one should be charged as parties to the crime including, but not limited to, any clergy member who was complicit in planning this crime.

Freedom of religion in no way trumps inalienable rights, like the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. These people killed a child and the excessively lenient sentence can only serve to encourage others to follow the same demented path. In my opinion, this is no more a freedom of religion issue than honor-killing.
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
It could well be that I'm not using the correct language for an American case.

It's just as incorrect in Canada. In common law (which includes Canada) murder requires the intent to kill.

Yep....murder requires, as I understand it, mens rea, the guilty mind......intent to kill.

This kind of case is excruciating, and it distresses the hell out of me, too, that this poor child was killed by nonsensical belief.

But I, also, don't understand the urge to vengeance here.

I think the vengeance part has been dealt with by the death of a kid who was foolishly, but no doubt deeply, loved.

I assume part of the nature of the sentence is an attempt by the judge not to punish the remaining children by depriving them of their parents as well as their sister.

I see no reason to remove the other kids if the parents are otherwise good parents, and if the kids want to remain with them after what they saw, AND, most importantly, have learned from this awful experience to seek appropriate medical help. I assume they will be closely monitored, too.

I understand the desire to deter other parents from such foolish behaviour, and I "get" the wish for a harsher sentence from that point of view...but I think a number of you guys are being over the top.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:28 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

And incidentally, they've learned absolutely nothing from their daughter's death:

During the sentencing hearing, Leilani Neumann, 41, told the judge her family is loving and forgiving and has wrongly been portrayed as religious zealots. "I do not regret trusting truly in the Lord for my daughter's health," she said....

"We live by faith," he said after the sentencing. "We are completely content with what the Lord has allowed to come down, but he is not done yet."

Oops, that makes a difference for me re keeping the kids!!!!

And, if they don't have the kids, I don't get the one month a year thing.

I still don't think life imprisonment, or the calls for the death penalty are appropriate at all.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:28 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Oh, and apart from simply disagreeing with you that watching your child slowly die, does in fact provide a basis for "intent"; your murder-homicide distinction is further blurred by the fact that Wisconsin doesn't charge murderers with murder. They charge them with first degree intentional homicide if there's no rational reason for their crime, and second degree if there's mitigating circumstances (like self defense, fear, etc.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:29 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
That's a tough one for me. Taking the children from them is going to cause them deep suffering. But leaving the children with them may be dangerous. On this matter the answers are never going to be easy.

Yep...there's no good option, there's only a least worst option.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:55:06