Religious Nuts Kill Own Daughter—Is Their Sentence Appropriate?

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 05:08 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
There was no diagnosis of diabetes and no evidence that the parents knew that insulin would alleviate their daughters illness.
They didnt even allow the diagnosis to be made. o blood tests ,nothing besides "laying on".

To not look and not find is not the same as to look carefully and not find. The first is a willful act, the second is mere incompetence.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 05:10 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
She believed her daughter was in a coma.

No, someone else claims that she believed that.

Whoops, you're right.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:06 pm
Quote:
There was no diagnosis of diabetes and no evidence that the parents knew that insulin would alleviate their daughters illness.

I know I have some catching up to do on this tread but this comment just cracks me up.

If I was a doctor and I lived next door to them and I noticed the child's health problems and I pounded on the door voicing my suspicions it wouldn't have made one damn bit of difference. They still would have waited for God to heal her.

The kid who died whose trial starts next month here died from a blocked urinary tract. By all accounts this is an insanely painful way to die. His family watched him die and did nothing.

This happened not 3 months after his 15 month old cousin died from "bacterial bronchial pneumonia and sepsis, both easily treatable with antibiotics."

Diagnosis....... get real.

There is no such thing as a diagnosis in these cults.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:13 pm
Oh yeah.... and I'll bet you a million bucks this kid was homeschooled.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:27 pm
Neumanns' faith-healing sentencing a no-win situation for judge, say legal experts

Quote:
Experts say there is no legal precedent in Wisconsin upon which Howard can base his decision, which makes it difficult to predict what the Neumanns' sentences might be.

Quote:
No matter what Howard decides, his sentence will be controversial.

Peters said if the Neumanns are sentenced to prison, Howard could stagger the sentences so that one parent is at home with the surviving children. Howard also could consider imposing a sentence but ordering the Neumanns not to begin serving it until the case has been heard by higher courts.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:56 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Oh yeah.... and I'll bet you a million bucks this kid was homeschooled.

So?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 08:59 pm
@DrewDad,
Nuts tend to be home-schoolers. And it's often another form of neglect for the development of their children.

But I haven't seen anything about these nuts being home-schoolers, and I've looked.
boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 09:28 pm
@DrewDad,
Kids from these cults tend to be homeschooled to keep them out of the public eye. Serious medical problems will be noticed by the school's staff. If a child seems to be in danger the school has an obligation to notify the authorities.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 09:47 pm
@boomerang,
I don't think they are motivated by keeping out of the public eye so much as keeping away from a world they don't agree with.

The whole "god forsaken schools" thing, where they are afraid of the influences of the society they think is going to hell in a hand basket more so than fear of having their medical problems noticed. They don't want their ideology questioned too much.
Eorl

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 11:35 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I can't imagine any punishment for a parent could be worse than losing a child. Maybe they should be required to do work in a children's hospital where children are treated by doctors and medical intervention and where a person's spiritual beliefs do not determine the outcome.

I like that idea. Perhaps they should be sentenced to put their prayers to work with amputees, on condition that they'll be released upon the first successful regrown limb.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:09 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Nuts tend to be home-schoolers.

That's true. Unfortunately, people tend to believe the converse as well, which may have been the case but is no longer true in my experience.
Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:44 am
@DrewDad,
When you consider what the right is attempting to do to public school science and history education, there might be a lot more of it from people who would only be considered crazy in the opinion of right wingnuts.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
Four years ago I would have completely agreed with you, then Mo started school.

I have very, very seriously considered homeschooling because of the school's insistence that something is "wrong" with Mo and only drugs can help him. I'm not anti-doctor or anti-drug therapy when it is properly indicated. My problem is that in our case Mo saw a batallion of doctors for a comprehensive evaluation that clearly showed drugs would not help his situation. Despite this they still dance around drugging him. (Thankfully I've learned how to head them off at the pass (smooches to dlowan!))

I imagine that if I had not provided them with the results of the evaluation and instead told them that I was waiting for God to intervene that they would have been on the phone to CPS.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:38 am
@Robert Gentel,
That professor is an imbecile. Judges in Wisconsin, like all jurisdictions will take notice of rulings in other jurisdictions when there's a lack of local precedent. And it's not as if statutory law is written in Aramaic until there's some case law to further define it. He then errors by stating:
Quote:
No judge in Wisconsin has ever dealt with the unique circumstances of the Neumann case, and Howard's sentence will be the benchmark for any future, similar cases, said Shawn Peters, a University of Wisconsin-Madison religion professor and author of "When Prayer Fails: Faith Healing, Children, and the Law."
This too, is utter nonsense. No lower court is going to take notice of another lower court's decisions unless and until it is appealed and published. Assuming Professor Dipshit wasn’t taken out of context, he should be unemployed… and either way this Jeff Stark isn’t much of a reporter.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 10:39 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

That professor is an imbecile. Judges in Wisconsin, like all jurisdictions will take notice of rulings in other jurisdictions when there's a lack of local precedent. And it's not as if statutory law is written in Aramaic until there's some case law to further define it. He then errors by stating:
Quote:
No judge in Wisconsin has ever dealt with the unique circumstances of the Neumann case, and Howard's sentence will be the benchmark for any future, similar cases, said Shawn Peters, a University of Wisconsin-Madison religion professor and author of "When Prayer Fails: Faith Healing, Children, and the Law."
This too, is utter nonsense. No lower court is going to take notice of another lower court's decisions unless and until it is appealed and published. Assuming Professor Dipshit wasn’t taken out of context, he should be unemployed… and either way this Jeff Stark isn’t much of a reporter.

Well, he's a professor of RELIGION, not law. So why they even quoted the dude is beyond me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 03:52 pm
One way or another evolution will take care of religion.
rich8ames

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:42 pm
@ebrown p,
So very true - these parents shouldn't be tried as if they phsyically murdered their daughter. They watched her die believing in their faith. Just because their faith is differnt than medical practices, doesn't make them murderers!!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 09:43 pm
@Amigo,
Quote:
One way or another evolution will take care of religion.

You have great faith, Amigo, considering that religion clearly is a product of evolution.
Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:22 am
@ebrown p,
Whereas i think Amigo is naive to think that religion will go away any time soon, or ever at all, i see no reason for an assumption that religion is the product of evolution. Perhaps you could explain the reproductive advantage which must inevitably follow upon embracing an organized superstition.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 08:58 am
@Setanta,
Let's take your definition of religion-- "embracing an organized superstition". For this to make any sense we have to define "superstition", I propose that a superstition is a widely held belief with no scientific backing.

Of course religion is a product of evolution.

It is obvious that religion is human nature, Widely held organized superstitions have been at the core of nearly every society throughout history history.

The evolutionary benefits are clear for social creatures such as are own. For our survival, we needed to form societies that were organized under a clear set of principles-- the principle varied from society to society, but every society developed a set of underlying beliefs that were very useful to forming functional societies.

Religion is as much a product of evolution as any other human trait-- music, art.

If religion isn't a part of evolution-- where would you say it comes from?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:41:58