Sucker born every day,minute or second.

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 02:58 pm
Australian selling moon plots

Tuesday, October 14, 2003 Posted: 1:37 AM EDT (0537 GMT)
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Now here's a gift that's really out of this world.
A new real estate agency, Lunar Realty, based in the southern Australian city of Melbourne, opens its doors Tuesday selling one-acre blocks on the moon for 59 Australian dollars (US$40) and 10-acre "lifestyle" blocks for A$298 (US$202).
Businessman Paul Jackson, 33, announced Monday he had bought the Australian rights to sell the land from Nevada-based entrepreneur Dennis Hope.
Hope has been cashing in since 1980 on what he said was an apparent loophole in the 1967 United Nations Outer Space Treaty that barred nations from laying claim to the moon but said nothing about individuals.
Hope registered a claim for the moon and planets with the United States, the Soviet government and the United Nations and, operating as Lunar Embassy, has been selling plots of extraterrestrial real estate ever since.
Jackson said two million people from 180 countries have bought a slice of the moon since 1980.
"I would be extremely happy if one day we got the chance to live on the moon," said Jackson, who has bought an acre of land for himself.
"I look at the world around us and think stranger things have happened."

I can't remember if Barnum said there was a sucker born every day,minute or second. Whatever he said he was correct. Put something up for sale and a sucker will be around to buy it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 811 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:09 am
Actually, there was another site doing the same thing and now, ack, I can't recall the name. But it was around at least since last year.

So, not only can you buy a moon plot, but you can duke out ownership in where? Moon Court?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:27 am
Jespah I think you're thinking about a site related to the same guy. Here's their "world headquarters" website www.lunarembassy.com
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 06:40 am
Ah, that's it, thanks. I've got beachfront property overlooking the Sea of Tranquility, yanno.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:37 am
Plenty of suckers in Australia.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:51 am
I can get you a much better deal on some Australian desert land. It's easier to drive to and is hospitable to many life forms! Even the air is breathable. And it can be yours for $350.00 per acre. Granted, it's a bit more money but you can actually emjoy it in this life time as opposed to waiting 2 hundred years!
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:07 am
I'll bet that person could sell air space by the cubic yard, over any luxury resort you ever yearned to be close to. It would have to be located by GPS coordinates.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:23 am
You can also have a star named after you for $40.00. They claim it will be registered in a star registry. People buy into it. There were some people selling bottled water not so long ago labeled NY water. It sure was it came straight from the tap.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 11:43 am
Almost as good as this one:

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/
0 Replies