White House officials feared J.K. Rowling promoted witchcraft

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:07 pm
If there were a significant number of book burnings of that kind, it could make some serious cash for the publishers.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:48 pm
@Setanta,
yeah, classic unintended consequences.
BillRM

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:54 pm
@Setanta,
First anything can be used in a harmful way and even a deadly way up to the police in my home town once beating to death a gentleman with heavy meg lights!

Now before the Taser if someone is coming at you with a knife or even a heavy club the police had little choice but to used lethal force and that is not the case now thank to the taser.

And yes the taser can also be used in place of the billy club but then unless you had a week heart getting taser is far far safer then having bones broken including the bones in your skull!

All in all we are all safer with tasers existing then not in my opinion.

Oh I had work around high voltage equipments for 33 years and a a result had been shock more then once with similar voltages to a taser and seen co-workers also shock with no lasting harm. It is however not fun but then having bones broken by a billy clubs would be less fun.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 03:22 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Quote:
So, what is your job that you had to read and comment on Rowlings books?

Do I have to tell you? Don't you believe me?

A proofreader ?

So far, everything that u have said sounds credible.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:04 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
Other items burned included novels by J. R. R. Tolkien[31] and Stephen King,[32] Star Wars material,[31] Complete Works of William Shakespeare,[31][33][34] magazines,[34] and a Ouija board.[31][32] Pastor Jack

... Stephen King would then write a book about life emenating from the smoke of all the burned books and wreaking vengeance on the shopkeepers of Castle Rock Maine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 06:16 pm
@dyslexia,
They did that back in the day with evil, satanic hard rock music . . . you couldn't have bought better publicity, and, of course, it was all free . . .
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 06:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

They did that back in the day with evil, satanic hard rock music . . . you couldn't have bought better publicity, and, of course, it was all free . . .

Of course. I wanted to read Lady Chatterly's Lover simply because it had been banned.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 06:24 pm

Books Are Burning
XTC

Books are burning
In the main square, and I saw there
The fire eating the text
Books are burning
In the still air
And you know where they burn books
People are next
I believe the printed word should be forgiven
Doesn't matter what it said
Wisdom hotline from the dead back to the living
Key to larder for your heart and head
Books are burning
In our own town, watch us turn 'round
And cast our glances elsewhere
Books are burning
In the playground
Smell of burnt book is not unlike human hair
I believe the printed word is more than sacred
Beyond the gauge of good or bad
The human right to let your soul fly free and naked
Above the violence of the fearful and sad
The church of matches
Anoints in ignorance with gasoline
The church of matches
Grows fat by breathing in the smoke of dreams
It's quite obscene
Books are burning
More each day now, and I pray now
You boys will tire of these games
Books are burning
I hope somehow, this will allow
A phoenix up from the flames
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 12:43 pm
I read all the Harry Potter books and loved them, although, I must admit that they do get darker and darker until they reach a sort of armageddon, a final battle between the forces of good and evil. Also, in the last book Harry Potter becomes a sort of "Christ" figure. Nobody said this is heavy reading, but it's good writing and not inconsistent with Judeo-Christianity with its emphasis on good vs evil.

Also, I suspect that wiccans (true witches) would protest that the Harry Potter books reflect their religion. Wiccan, as I understand it, worships nature while Harry Potter is about fictional magic spells. I don't think there is any relation between the two.
Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 01:42 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
Also, I suspect that wiccans (true witches) would protest that the Harry Potter books reflect their religion.

One would have hoped that we could have gotten through this discussion without horseshit like this. There is so little which is now reliably known about the Druids that any claims that "Wiccans" make about their religion is just so much bullshit. What is called the "religion" of "Wicca" was invented by a retired English civil servant, Gerald Gardner, in the 1950s. It is a product of his imagination and ignorance. What was once called witchcraft was originally a condemnation of druidical practice, which at least had the virtue of having once been a fully articulated world view. Modern "Wiccans" are just children playing dress-up.
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 04:04 pm
@Setanta,
The New Forest Coven, from which Gardner said he got his information could have been all made up by Gardner and the whole Wicca thing as well. There are some papers by Gardner, who was an amateur archeologist . These papers had been reviewed in U of Penns archeology dept and found to be lacking in credibility.

You know that the Wiccanites are gonna cast a spell on us .

CMON , best shot ,

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 05:11 pm
I don't rant at them, but to me they are grossly offensive. The Druids defined the world view with which my ancestors lived, and these clowns have some palid, made-up **** with which they justify dancing around chanting in robes. It's an offense to the memory of my ancestors.

That being said, my basic disgust with all forms of organized religion--these clowns and the Druids who preyed upon the credulity of my ancestors included--leads me to see it as not worth the effort to take up arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, so end them.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:33 pm
@farmerman,

as long as thay do it FONETICLY
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 09:41 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

I read all the Harry Potter books and loved them, although, I must admit that they do get darker and darker until they reach a sort of armageddon, a final battle between the forces of good and evil. Also, in the last book Harry Potter becomes a sort of "Christ" figure. Nobody said this is heavy reading, but it's good writing and not inconsistent with Judeo-Christianity with its emphasis on good vs evil.

Also, I suspect that wiccans (true witches) would protest that the Harry Potter books reflect their religion.
Wiccan, as I understand it, worships nature while Harry Potter is about fictional magic spells.
I don't think there is any relation between the two.
Presumably, the magic spells (which shoud be fonetic) r how thay manipulate nature.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 07:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Outside of Ogum, they have no written language, so phonics is irrelevant ne?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:34 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Outside of Ogum, they have no written language, so phonics is irrelevant ne?
just a little joke, Farmer

What does "ne" mean ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:39 am
Ogham, Fm . . . that's ogham.
farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:48 am
@Setanta,
Ok, Ogham it be.

Dave- ne is just a James Clavell way of saying no?.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ok, Ogham it be.

Dave- ne is just a James Clavell way of saying no?.
Is that a question?

I don t know his language, tho I did enjoy Shogun.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:05 am
@farmerman,

I don 't speak Japanese,
but if I remember about 35 years ago,
or whenever I read his book, Iye meant no and hai [ ? ] meant yes.

I m probably rong.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 11:21:30