White House officials feared J.K. Rowling promoted witchcraft

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 06:02 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

AGREED, except that I believe that writing abilities count.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David a gentleman by the name of Ben Bova wrote his first book when I was a child and I remember reading it and loving it and decades later when I told him in person how must I love that book he was not happy with me considering it a poor example of his writing abilities.

Years after that I pay hundreds of dollars for a copy as Mr. Bova never allowed it to be reprinted and found out that he was correct it was a very poor written book indeed however from a child viewpoint it also have magic.

Some books only can be enjoy from a child viewpoint and that does not mean it is a worthless book if it bring a love of reading to millions of children such as Rowling had done.
In addition to that, there is another possible point:
regardless of how skillfully, convincingly an author expresses information,
simply providing that information can be a service of great value.

David
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:21 am
I'm not a big Ann Rice fan, but I learned a lot about the history of Haiti from one of her books.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:26 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Tolkiens series loses after the Hobbit, IMHO. It becomes unnecessarily repetitious for several events. I dont know whether that was because Tolkien didnt trust his readers or because he was getting senile.

I agree, and that was why i said it was stilted. But i don't think that was the product of senility--rather, his interest was always from the point of view of the linguist. Old Germanic literature, especially Anglo-Saxon (Norse, less so, but still noticeably) depends heavily on repetition. I think that probably came from an oral tradition, in which the ability to "correctly" recite names, titles, relationships and deeds was jealously scrutinized by other skalds or bards, and so the oral version of a story quickly became very repetitious. Tolkien's earliest scholarly works were about Anglo-Saxon "heroic poetry," and the Anglo-Saxons were even more noticeably repetitious. This survives to this day, in expression such as "it is fitting and proper."

I suspect that he wrote The Hobbit to entertain his son, Christopher, and that's why it's a much better book, whether for children or adults. But The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion he wrote to please himself. I would also note that he may have written The Lord of the Rings to exorcise his own demons. In the introduction to the second edition, he notes a tendency of reviewers to see a greater influence in events common to their experience and that of the author than were justified--he says that in the context of denying that The Lord of the Rings was about the Second World War. Then, immediately afterward, he comments that all but one of his close friends were dead by 1918. The unremitting gloom of The Lord of the Rings is to me redolent of the discouraged fatalism of the infantry officer in the Great War--cf Sassoon's Memoirs of an Infantry Officer and Sherston's Progress.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:27 am
Quote:
I think that we shoud not refer to chicks by their last names alone.
It sounds ruff n harsh.

I am the only one who sees an hilarious irony in this reference to an adult woman?
djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:32 am
@Setanta,
nope

they're not chicks, they're dames
Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:33 am
@djjd62,
Good point . . . i hate it when some clown calls a broad a chick . . .
BillRM

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
In addition to that, there is another possible point:
regardless of how skillfully, convincingly an author expresses information,
simply providing that information can be a service of great value.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Tom Swift books are as badly written as any serial of books in the known universe however it turn thousands of young children on the path of becoming engineers and even gave one of those ex-readers the idea that turn into the Taser Company.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 10:03 am
Thanks for the first hearty laugh I've had for at least 2 hours, BillRM, although I suspect any irony is unintended. The fact that reading Tom Swift led to the Taser and some fat Ya-hoo getting rich is hardly a recommendation to me, but then I am a left wing Euro weenie liberal. And proud of it.

chai2

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 10:16 am
@contrex,
So, what is your job that you had to read and comment on Rowlings books?
contrex

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 10:29 am
@chai2,
Quote:
So, what is your job that you had to read and comment on Rowlings books?

Do I have to tell you? Don't you believe me?
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:28 am
@contrex,
Did I say anything about believing or not?

You don't have to do anything, but why wouldn't you say?

Do you have something to hide?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:33 am
@Setanta,
being lost in the 1960's can do that to someone

cigarettes, drinks, steaks, chicks

like an old Dean Martin album, mono not stereo
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Good point . . . i hate it when some clown calls a broad a chick . . .

A ring-a-ding-ding.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:54 am
@contrex,
So a device that save lives and had given the police the ability to used less then lethal force in many situation is of no matter to you?

And yes I am aware that the device had been misused and might had even taken a few lives however on balance it is one hell of a lot better then having a 9mm tearing holes in one body in my opinion.

What a left wing Euro nut/liberal might think about a device that save lives I had not a clue.
Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:02 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
So a device that save lives and had given the police the ability to used less then lethal force in many situation is of no matter to you?

Bought all of the propaganda hook, line and sinker, huh?

I'm sure Contrex can tell you this himself, but his point is that Tom Swift and the capitalist propaganda is of no matter to him. I'm not surprised that things like this escape you.

Taser is a corporate shithook, which savagely litigates to preserve it's reputation. There is mounting evidence that even when used appropriately it is potentially lethal, and furthermore that it is all to often inappropriately used, with officers repeatedly "tasing" an individual. The death of Robert Dziekanski is a perfect example of this, when RCMP officers "tased" him five consecutive times. Taser attempted to prevent the inquiry which has condemned the use of the taser, and lead to strict new guidelines for its use by the RCMP--unfortunately for Taser's legal sharks, the legal system ignored them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

we call em "Bitches"
I suspect that u KNOW that female dogs r bitches.

Is there a reason that u wanna call chicks dogs, Farmer ?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:04 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

And yes I am aware that the device had been misused and might had even taken a few lives however on balance it is one hell of a lot better then having a 9mm tearing holes in one body in my opinion.

What a left wing Euro nut/liberal might think about a device that save lives I had not a clue.

There's a huge difference between using a Taser and a 9mm; the Taser seems to be used by police in lieu of actually attempting to restrain someone, nowadays.

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

being lost in the 1960's can do that to someone

cigarettes, drinks, steaks, chicks

like an old Dean Martin album, mono not stereo
Dean Martin was a really nice guy.
I liked him a lot; kind of a laid-back,
friendly Perry Como way about him.
Thay both had good voices.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

There's a huge difference between using a Taser and a 9mm; . . . .
Cycloptichorn
Use of either a taser or a 9mm round is irresponsible.
The reliable stopping power of either is a joke
that can cost u your life. A taser gun is less likely to be successful
than even the little 9mm. Tasers can be defeated simply by turning,
or by moderately heavy clothing or objects in the pockets,
e.g. wallet, pens, pocket diary, calculators, credit cards, etc.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:05 pm
Alamogordo (New Mexico) briefly made international news in late 2001 when Christ Community Church held a public book burning of books in the Harry Potter series on December 30.[31][32][33] Other items burned included novels by J. R. R. Tolkien[31] and Stephen King,[32] Star Wars material,[31] Complete Works of William Shakespeare,[31][33][34] magazines,[34] and a Ouija board.[31][32] Pastor Jack Brock called the Potter books "a masterpiece of Satanic deception"[33][34] and said the character taught children to take up wizardry.[32] Several hundred people protested the event.[31][32][34] Alamogordo Public Library continued a display of Harry Potter books that was originally mounted in conjunction with the movie premiere of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.[34] Cash donations were made to the library, and library director Jim Preston said, "With this money we are purchasing additional copies of Harry Potter, Tolkien, and Shakespeare."

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 10:52:54