Redshirting Kindergarten

DrewDad

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 03:18 pm
When should a kid start kindergarten?

Quote:

And in contemporary America, children are deemed eligible to enter kindergarten according to an arbitrary date on the calendar known as the birthday cutoff " that is, when the state, or in some instances the school district, determines they are old enough.

The birthday cutoffs span six months, from Indiana, where a child must turn 5 by July 1 of the year he enters kindergarten, to Connecticut, where he must turn 5 by Jan. 1. Children can start school a year late, but in general they cannot start a year early. As a result, when the 22 kindergartners entered Jane Andersen's class at the Glen Arden Elementary School near Asheville, N.C., one warm April morning, each brought with her or him a snack and a unique set of gifts and challenges, which included for some what's referred to in education circles as "the gift of time."

For years, education scholars have pointed out that most studies have found that the benefits of being relatively older than one's classmates disappear after the first few years of school. However, more recent research by labor economists takes advantage of new, very large data sets and has produced different results. A few labor economists do concur with the education scholarship, but most have found that while absolute age (how many days a child has been alive) is not so important, relative age (how old that child is compared with his classmates) shapes performance long after those few months of maturity should have ceased to matter. Kelly Bedard, a labor economist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, published a paper on "The Persistence of Early Childhood Maturity: International Evidence of Long-Run Age Effects" in The Quarterly Journal of Economics in November 2006 that looked at this phenomenon.

One person in the article seems to think this has to do with propping up self-esteem instead of maximizing academic performance. Perhaps that is the truth in some cases, but those last few years of High School determine a great deal about the choices one has when it comes to college.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 4,980 • Replies: 29
Topic Closed

boomerang

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 04:27 pm
I haven't read the article yet but thought I'd get some thoughts down first...

I've often wished I could get a mulligan on starting Mo in school when he was 5. In hindsight, think an extra year at home would have really helped him. I thought about it at the time but was really encouraged by those around me to get him started.

In some ways I'm glad I did. Mo is a big kid, stocky, broad, and powerful, he looks more mature than he is. I remember kids getting teased about being "retarded" when they were a lot bigger than the kids in their class. He's kind of a target for teasing anyway so something this obvious might have really been bad.

Now I'll read the study to see if they take anything like that into consideration.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 04:37 pm
For us it was September 1 as cut-off day and since my daughter's birthday
is September 18, she had to wait another year to enter kindergarten. In hindsight I am glad she was almost 6 when she entered, as she was really tiny
and way too energetic and playful to have entered kindergarten when she
barely made it to her fifth birthday.
sullyfish6

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 05:53 pm
I never could understand this "lock-step mentality based on age" that permeates our educational system.

What other agency, company, group, organization, or team puts people together in one room for 6 hours per day BASED ON AGE?

ehBeth

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:04 pm
@DrewDad,
I was going to start a new thread based on this article, but I think it can tag along nicely here (there is a bit in it about the research re starting kindergarten late etc)

Can the Right Kinds of Play Teach Self-Control?

I was so excited to read this. I hadn't heard much about Vygotsky's work since I was studying "exceptional children" for a while about 30 years ago.
sozobe

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 06:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Vygotsky! I remember him.

I remembered (and found) this old thread about it:

http://able2know.org/topic/97548-1
ehBeth

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 07:07 pm
@sozobe,
this bit reminded me of the thread (can I find it) where different kinds of self-narration were discussed

Quote:
It’s one of the reasons that visiting a Tools of the Mind classroom can cause moments of cognitive dissonance. While there’s a lot of dressing up and playing with blocks, plenty of messing around with sand tables and Legos and jigsaw puzzles, there are also a few activities that seem not just grown-up but protocorporate, borrowed directly from the modern office. Every morning, before embarking on the day’s make-believe play, each child takes a colored marker and a printed form called a play plan and draws or writes his declaration of intent for that day’s play: “I am going to drive the choo-choo train”; “I am going to make a sand castle”; “I am going to take the dollies to the beach.” At the beginning of prekindergarten, children are coached on dramatic play " called Make-Believe Play Practice " with the teacher leading the children, step by step, through the mechanics of pretending. (The training manual describes how a teacher might coach a child to feed a baby doll: “I’m pretending my baby is crying. Is yours? What should we say?”)

I'm having a fierce moment of "why didn't I really go back to school when I said I would". I loved loved loved loved this stuff. ok. I love it.
engineer

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 07:16 pm
@CalamityJane,
Our situation was the opposite; our cutoff age was Oct 15 and my son was a September child, so he entered kindergarten at age 4. He was completely ready, so he fit right in and has continued to do well (ok, he was a little antsy about getting his driving permit last). I am always disappointed when I hear some parents just automatically assume that if you have a boy, he should be held back. It depends on the child and the maturity level. His age has never been a problem.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 07:29 pm
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:
What other agency, company, group, organization, or team puts people together in one room for 6 hours per day BASED ON AGE?

A lot of the age-based stuff in school (including promoting kids even though they don't meet standards) is to prevent the older kids from bullying or preying on the younger kids.
0 Replies

George

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:53 am
@sullyfish6,
Quote:
What other agency, company, group, organization, or team puts people
together in one room for 6 hours per day BASED ON AGE?

Most youth sports leagues do something of the sort.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:05 am
@ehBeth,
So go back to school!
0 Replies

George

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:09 am
I haven't read the articles, so I don't know whether this is addressed.

At that age, a several months' difference can be huge. I'm speaking in general
here. Because of this difference a child may be identified as more intelligent,
and this labelling, even if not explicit, can stick. The educator may tailor
his/her teaching style to the perceived level of the student's intelligence.
Thus, the child early marked as intelligent may get the better learning
experience.
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:11 am
@DrewDad,
Reading your article... will probably have more comments when I'm done but will start with this:

Quote:
Robert Fulghum listed life lessons in his 1986 best seller All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. Among them were:

Clean up your own mess.

Don't take things that aren't yours.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Take a nap every afternoon.

Flush.

Were he to update the book to reflect the experience of today's children, he'd need to call it All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Preschool, as kindergarten has changed. The half-day devoted to fair play and nice manners officially began its demise in 1983, when the National Commission on Excellence in Education published "A Nation at Risk," warning that the country faced a "rising tide of mediocrity" unless we increased school achievement and expectations.

edit: the next paragraph, which I just read, makes the point more explicitly:

No Child Left Behind, in 2002, exacerbated the trend, pushing phonics and pattern-recognition worksheets even further down the learning chain. As a result, many parents, legislatures and teachers find the current curriculum too challenging for many older 4- and young 5-year-olds, which makes sense, because it's largely the same curriculum taught to first-graders less than a generation ago. Kindergartners are supposed to be able to not just read but also write two sentences by the end of the school year. It's no wonder that nationwide, teachers now report that 48 percent of incoming kindergartners have difficulty handling the demands of school.

Most of you here already know my "preschool is the new kindergarten" rant. I think many people don't really realize how crucial preschool has become as opposed to the place it used to hold in the educational progression. All of this basic stuff is really crucial to the later school performance, and it's really dangerous in terms of a) how many people don't know this (because of a lack of attention given to this aspect, not through any fault of their own), b) how many people can't afford preschool. Head Start is super-important, here, but is still just a part of the picture.

I think that a lot of what's happening in kindergarten is because of the assumption that most kids go to preschool and get the old kindergarten stuff then.

I'm all for kindergarten going back to being kindergarten -- I think it's more developmentally appropriate.

Or else kids just going ahead and starting kindergarten at 6, and preschool becoming available to all (which would mostly just make graduating seniors one year older than they currently are -- not necessarily a bad thing).
DrewDad

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:15 am
@ehBeth,
Interesting article. Thank you.
sozobe

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:19 am
@sozobe,
Oh... it's the same article!

Just reached the end of the one you [DrewDad] linked to:

Quote:
Elizabeth Weil is a contributing writer for The New York Times Magazine, where a version of this article originally appeared.

Here's the one in the old thread that I linked to before:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/magazine/03kindergarten-t.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:37 am
@DrewDad,
Just finished this one -- fascinating, thanks! Sozlet's preschool was very, very similar to this -- not the clipboards and planning stuff, but there was a whole lot of make-believe play, some of it quite elaborate, and the general vibe was similar to what was discussed in the article.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:07 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I'm all for kindergarten going back to being kindergarten -- I think it's more developmentally appropriate.

Here, in Germany, a kindergarten is a kindergarten (that's why it's called so Wink - preschool is for those children who need an additional year before going to primary school).

It starts with three and gradually children learn while playing. (I like they way how they "teach" English, for instance.)
It's voluntarily - like the day cares for those from 0 month to three years. (Every< three year old has a guaranteed place in a kindergarten - by law, not really by reality in many regions.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:21 am
I have to say that I am glad that my daughter went to preschool prior to
entering kindergarten. She was much more structured and attentive and
knew that several hours a day she needs to be focused and quiet.
0 Replies

boomerang

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 09:45 am
I just finished reading Freakonomics and was surprised that their assement was that Head Start is "ineffectual" when it comes to improving academic outcomes.

I have no firsthand experience with preschool; I didn't go to one and Mo didn't go to one. I considered it but he was always so anxious about being separated that I didn't think it was right for him.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 10:09 am

If I had a kid, I 'd be inclined to start him a year late.
It gives him a relative competitive mental and somatic advantage,
as well as an additional year of undemanding freedom.

David
0 Replies