The perfect definition of god:

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:26 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Yes, we can do it with any word.
But you don't need to do it ad infinitum with words like "time" for the words to have practical value and be meaningfully communicated.
But with "god" there seems to be no point to be reached where the word takes on a meaning of practical value. Or so it seems to me.
Neil D

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 09:32 pm
God seems to be so many different things to so many different people. And as in the original post it seems that either directly, or indirectly everything can be traced back to it. No matter how spectacular, or mundane.

My feelings about such a being is that I would see it as the most fundamental thing that exists eternally, if in fact it does exist, which I cannot be sure of. And I would be a fool to assert the existence of such a thing as a fact, since verification is impossible.

I want to say i'm a Theist, but the only thing I can say about "my" God, without generating religious overtones, which I dislike very much. Is that it is eternal, and fundamental to all things that exist.

I only use reason to establish God, But in the supernatural realm, maybe unreasonabe(illogical) things can be true. And perhaps the ultimate truth doesnt make any sense at all.
Owen phil

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 04:02 am
@Neil D,
Neil D wrote:

God seems to be so many different things to so many different people. And as in the original post it seems that either directly, or indirectly everything can be traced back to it. No matter how spectacular, or mundane.

My feelings about such a being is that I would see it as the most fundamental thing that exists eternally, if in fact it does exist, which I cannot be sure of. And I would be a fool to assert the existence of such a thing as a fact, since verification is impossible.

I want to say i'm a Theist, but the only thing I can say about "my" God, without generating religious overtones, which I dislike very much. Is that it is eternal, and fundamental to all things that exist.

I only use reason to establish God, But in the supernatural realm, maybe unreasonabe(illogical) things can be true. And perhaps the ultimate truth doesnt make any sense at all.

There is a problem with your use of reasoning about your God.
You claim your God is eternal and fundamental to all things that exist.
What logic allows you to assert these 'unfounded' claims.
How do you know anything positive about your god?

If there is 'one' truth that can be asserted directly about your god then you have proof that God exists.
That is to say, if you know that "God is eternal" then you must know that God exists...do you know that God exists?...I don't think so, why do you make the claim that God is eternal??

If you do not know that God exists then you do not know that God is eternal,
contrary to you claim that God is eternal.

Ultimate truth is as vague and indeterminate as is God itself.

What is the difference between ultimate truth and truth?
What justifies your belief in a "supernatural realm"? or that
"unreasonabe(illogical) things can be true." ??
Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:25 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Yes, we can do it with any word.
But you don't need to do it ad infinitum with words like "time" for the words to have practical value and be meaningfully communicated.
But with "god" there seems to be no point to be reached where the word takes on a meaning of practical value. Or so it seems to me.

I am pretty sure 'God' does have a practical value and meaning as well. Take for example the following:

A) "Goddamnit"
B) "God bless you."
C) "Oh my God."
D) "Godspeed"
E) "I have more X (X = any object) than God."

I am pretty sure that in all these instances the way in which we use 'God' can be clearly understood, and meaningful as well. Might I add there is also a practical value (whatever that may be) to the use of 'God'.

But then again this is dealing with the way we use the word.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:44 am
@Ding an Sich,
I would say that the meanings of the examples you offer are not directly related to the meaning of the word "god". They are phrases.

But I have to admit that there is no getting around that these are uses of the word that have practial value and meaning. But the meaning is in the usage, not the concept, if that makes any sense at all...

It may be that I have to eat my words (again) in this thread.
0 Replies

Neil D

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 10:46 pm
@Owen phil,
"You've been down that road before Neo. You know where it leads." - The Matrix.

I know no absolutes when it comes to God. It's merely speculation/reasoning with a little science thrown in at times. Im Just speculating on the existence of a God, and what it's nature might be. So I have no positives when it comes to God. The word "God" is so ambiguous anyways, it loses any meaning.

I dont' know what God is, but I might assume it is the reason why there is something as opposed to nothing. I cant say I know what "nothing" is either. Is it merely empty space with nothing in it, or is it the absence of space as well? Anyways, I would speculate that the "something" is God. I just don't know what it is.

So I would reason that this "something" is God. And I would also reason that if there was ever a time when nothing existed, then nothing would exist now. Since something cannot come from nothing. So I have an eternal "something", or God.

I sometimes refer to an ultimate truth as a divine truth, or a truth that explains everything, such as God, existence, etc. Or perhaps a TOE.

I'm not so sure that reasoning won't fail in trying to define God, or know anything at all about God. I'm pretty sure unreasonable things happen at quantum levels. So unreasonable things can be true, so these kinds of truths cannot be arrived at through reason.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 01:30 pm
Here is direct quote from Joseph Campbell: "We keep thinking of deity as a kind of fact. God is simply our own notion of something that is symbolic of transcendence and mystery." Transformations of Myth Through Time. p. 16

Another appropriate quote: "Birds make their nests in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours." Black Elk, Oglala Sioux (1863-1950) This doesn't define God directly as it can't be defined diredtly.

0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 10:28 pm

a meddler in others affairs , namely us
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 10:37 pm
@Cyracuz,
God is whoever or whatever created our living world. I mean, we all know evolution is a bunch of bullshit, the rest follows.

I don't see any need for rocks and cosmic objects to be created and assume generally that the universe at large, like God, is eternal without beginning or end.
north

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 10:49 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

God is whoever or whatever created our living world. I mean, we all know evolution is a bunch of bullshit, the rest follows.

really , HIV , the reason its so hard to control , let alone kill is because this virus can adapt or change very quickly to its enviroment , evolution

Quote:
I don't see any need for rocks and cosmic objects to be created and assume generally that the universe at large, like God, is eternal without beginning or end.

because you cann't imagine it , many can't
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 11:36 pm
Interesting subject; god.

My recent journey to India was also an education about the early religions of India. Let me try to summarize from the many pages on the subject provided to us by our Tour Director in India into a few paragraphs to share what he told us.

First of all, when dictionaries defined what religion was, they had two important components; 1) a scripture, and 2) a founder. However, when it came to Hinduism, Hindus had their scripture, but no particular founder. That's the reason we find most dictionaries describing Hinduism “a way of life” rather than a religion.

Thousands of years ago when the people of Europe and central Asia looked for warmer climates, they settled in Iran and India. They called themselves the “noble breed ones” - the Aryans. They brought their religion called Hinduism into India. Since the Aryans were more advanced in their use of horses and weapons, they suppressed the indigenous people and imposed their religion on them.

The ancient religious literature of India is divided into two kinds. One is called Sruthi and the other Smriti. The word Shruti means that which was heard. The Vedas fell into this category and was considered divinely inspired. The word Sruthi is much like the word al-koran in Islam which also means that which is heard. The other kind of religious literature is called Smriti based on human authorship. The Hindus are asked to refer to the Vedas as the ultimate source of knowledge.

The word Veda simply means knowledge or perception. It is a compilation or an anthology of poems recited by seers at various times.

When the Aryans first settled in the south of the river Sindhu, there was no name called Hinduism. The letter S was pronounced as H by the Arabs who called the people south of the river Hindu.

When the Greek traveler Megasthenes wanted to write about India, he took the word Indu and produced a work called Indica, and from that name came the word India.

Certain religious organizations in India have taken the mantle to convert people into Hinduism. They simply had to believe in the five tenets to be a Hindu.
1.Sanatan Dharma – or eternal faith. Life has always been here and life will always be here.
2.Vasudeva Kodambakkam – that all creatures of life come from one creator and everything is one family of the creator.
3.Ishta Devata – is the freedom to worship god in any form a person likes
4.Adhikara Bheda is much as one wants to be accepted as they are, the same respect needs to be given to all the creatures. Everybody's ego is accepted as it is.
5.Lastly, the faith in the Vedas as the ultimate scripture.

There are 29 different languages spoken in India with over than 1-million speakers of those languages.

On Buddhism:

The Hindus who believes in god, the Buddhist who are agnostics, and the Jains who denies the existence of god still have one common ingredient in all religions born in India, and that's the concept of Karma – where one is, birth after birth thrown into the cycle of birth and death, reincarnation again and again in this rotating wheel of life without any freedom. Any desire was bondage that was severed only through extinguishing all desires and renunciation of all. Sanayasa is what they call it in Sanskrit.

Many strange things happened when the Buddha was born. When the Buddha was born, it was by tearing open the belly of his mother, Maya Devi. She did not feel any pain, but died fulfilled and in bliss. As soon as Buddha was born, it took seven steps in all directions then lay back in its original position. The astrologers predicted that it was a definite sign of a very noble birth. Buddha was christened Gautama Siddhartha, or the accomplished one. Buddha's exposure to the outside world happened later in life, because his father forbade him to go outside the palace grounds. When he saw sickly and dead people, he wondered if that could happen to him, and his charioteer said yes. He disappeared for ten years, but appears back as the Buddha – the enlightened one; he became god.

Many came to listen to his first sermon at Sarnath. (I was there during my first visit to India in ___).
Compared to the Sermon on the Mount by Christ, the Buddha eloquently defined his most important mission – to set in motion the wheel of justice (Dhamma), and delivers the first discourse to his five friends about the wheel of justice – the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta. The Buddha sent his first five disciples to every part of the country.

With the Buddha, patience was the most important virtue. The journey was more important than the destination. The journey was in fact the destination. (I'll have to remember that.)

The Buddha demystified many things and taught meditation as a pure therapeutic technique without any religious tags attached.

The Three Universal Truths of Buddha:

1.Everything in life is impermanent and always changing.
2.Because nothing is permanent, a life based on possessing things or persons doesn't make you happy.
3.There is no eternal, unchanging soul and “self” is just a collection of changing characteristic attributes.

The Four Noble Truths:

1.Suffering exists in life.
2.The cause of this suffering is attachment.
3.The cessation of suffering is attainable
4.There exists a path to achieve cessation of suffering.

You can become god.

NOTE: You can also visit my travelogue on South India at travelpod.com. Look for me as c.i.222. Let me know what you think.
0 Replies

north

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 12:00 am

Quote:
The Three Universal Truths of Buddha:

Quote:
1.Everything in life is impermanent and always changing.

true

Quote:
2.Because nothing is permanent, a life based on possessing things or persons doesn't make you happy.

true ( no-thing would have been better )

Quote:
3.There is no eternal, unchanging soul and “self” is just a collection of changing characteristic attributes.

true the soul changes , but in what direction ?

thats the thing

Quote:
The Four Noble Truths:

Quote:
1.Suffering exists in life.

true

Quote:
2.The cause of this suffering is attachment.

true , but non-attachment as well

Quote:
3.The cessation of suffering is attainable

true

Quote:
4.There exists a path to achieve cessation of suffering.

true , a combination and degree of 2 and 3

Quote:
You can become god.

so you , as a god , think that you can avoid suffering ?

hardly , does not a god make choices ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2010 11:48 am
@north,
In actuality, I doubt very many can detach themselves from what causes pain and suffering, but many try to achieve the enlightenment of Buddha. I also believe the thousands of monks who ply the monasteries around the world also try to achieve this "same" enlightenment without much success. I'm really not sure how many are successful.
north

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 09:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

In actuality, I doubt very many can detach themselves from what causes pain and suffering, but many try to achieve the enlightenment of Buddha. I also believe the thousands of monks who ply the monasteries around the world also try to achieve this "same" enlightenment without much success. I'm really not sure how many are successful.

thats the thing

being contemplative takes you away from the reality in which you are in but only for so long

0 Replies