Why Did Roman Polanski Run Away?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:06 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

As an Offense, there would be those limitations in the United States too. But the statute is frozen, essentially, as soon as the perp is officially sought. In your link to German Statutory Law, Section 78c (1) 1-9 appear to be essentially similar to those in the U.S... and I'd wager were derived from the same Common Law. I can only assume German Case Law would interpret the obvious the same way: The statute of Limitations clock on Polanski was first frozen by his indictment and will remain so for as long as there's a warrant for his arrest.

Statutes of Limitation exist to prevent untimely accusations, not untimely convictions or sentences. I doubt that any State, including France, has their Statutes of Limitations written in such a way that they would provide shelter to a fleeing criminal. Such a legislative intent would be counterintuitive to the point of absurdity.

You may doubt and wager what you want: we (= Germany, France and other European countries) don't have common law but Roman law. (Common law didn't institute these statutes until the 16th/17th century.)

The Federal Court of Justice of Germany had decided in a different ruling as an aside that 15 years after the interruption of the running of the statute of limitations (BGH, 12.06.2001 - 5 StR 606/00) this long period had to be given a given preferential consideration when deciding.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:26 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

You are good in distorting someone else's words, Bill.

First, where did I say that he should have a special status?

I'l claming the "usual status" for him.
You continue to forward irrelevant nonsense like he fears he won't be treated fairly as an excuse to use his wealth to evade justice. Newsflash: Most convicts fear they won't be treated fairly, and this fear provides NO basis for an excuse for evading justice.

Francis wrote:
Second, is Polanski indicted already of rape?

I'd thought he only admitted "unlawfull sex intercouse"..
Yes, he was already indicted for rape. That his original lawyer masterfully negotiated a plea deal that potentially made the rape charge go away, doesn't erase the indictment. A 44 year old pervert's admission to having drugged and then had sex with a 13 year old kid, over her repeated objections, is an admission of rape in every civilized society, Francis. Do you really disagree?

Francis wrote:

Quote:
Branham explained that the Constitution's bar against ex post facto laws " that is, retroactive criminal laws -- would mean that Polanski "can't be punished more severely than the law in existence at the time of his crimes allowed"; therefore, his sentence could not exceed the statutory maximum that existed in 1977. Given the change in the law, however -- which reduced the statutory maximum -- this is not Polanski's problem.

What about the influence of changing mores? Professor Branham noted that "changing views and norms on the severity of sex crimes with minors appropriately could affect the terms of any plea agreement into which the prosecutor might agree to enter. And these changed attitudes potentially and constitutionally could influence how the judge exercises his or her sentencing discretion within the parameters set by the 1977 statutes. In other words, the judge might sentence Polanski more severely within the range set by the statute than the judge would have if the case had come before her in the 1970s."

Finally, Professor Branham added, "Polanski's escape, which can be interpreted as reflecting an unwillingness to acknowledge responsibility for his crimes and a lack of remorse for them, can be a factor that will aggravate his sentences for the sex crimes, though not beyond the maximum sentence permitted in 1977." And, of course, his escape was another crime.

Based on Professor Branham's analysis, not to mention his fugitive status, sentencing will no doubt be much worse for Polanski now than it would have been in 1977-1978, a fact that he and his attorneys surely appreciate.

Emphasys added by me.
Francis, these same aggravating circumstances would have been just as likely to influence his sentencing in 1978, 1980 or 1990. Running from the law can reflect an unwillingness to acknowledge responsibility for his crimes and a lack of remorse for same. These conditions exist independent of the elapsed time and if anything, are only rightfully fortified by same. So what? Sentencing is largely a matter of discretion and I assure you the ordinary poor usually fare much worse than the rich and famous. His rich and famous status in no way gives him some special right to object to the statutory discretion afforded Judges.
spendius

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
So do you wish Bill to put the lady through what she has asked for her not to be put through for no other reason that to provide catharsis for your moral outrage and sense of justice.

Do you not accept her word that she thinks her kids will be harmed by a trial?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

As an Offense, there would be those limitations in the United States too. But the statute is frozen, essentially, as soon as the perp is officially sought. In your link to German Statutory Law, Section 78c (1) 1-9 appear to be essentially similar to those in the U.S... and I'd wager were derived from the same Common Law. I can only assume German Case Law would interpret the obvious the same way: The statute of Limitations clock on Polanski was first frozen by his indictment and will remain so for as long as there's a warrant for his arrest.

Statutes of Limitation exist to prevent untimely accusations, not untimely convictions or sentences. I doubt that any State, including France, has their Statutes of Limitations written in such a way that they would provide shelter to a fleeing criminal. Such a legislative intent would be counterintuitive to the point of absurdity.

You may doubt and wager what you want: we (= Germany, France and other European countries) don't have common law but Roman law. (Common law didn't institute these statutes until the 16th/17th century.)

The Federal Court of Justice of Germany had decided in a different ruling as an aside that 15 years after the interruption of the running of the statute of limitations (BGH, 12.06.2001 - 5 StR 606/00) this long period had to be given a given preferential consideration when deciding.
Thanks Walter. I'm not going to try and distinguish translated German decisions, but your example is insufficient anyway. If the Victim was 13 in 1977, then the German Statute of Limitations wouldn't have applied till her 18th birthday in 1982. A crime that provides a potential sentence of 10 years or more, is given a 20 year Statute of limitations in Germany (per your link). Stop the stat at 15 years into the 28 years outstanding and his arrest was still timely by some 7 years (Assuming for the sake of argument that Federal Court of Justice of Germany's ruling would indeed apply to this set of facts in the first place.)
Francis

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:44 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Bill, looks like it's useless to just continue to utter the same kind of arguments.

It seems there's a gap in understanding between the Americans and the Europeans in this thread.

It's probably a matter of civilization and I wonder where it stems from.

You would not envision that all Europeans are rape apologists, would you?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:48 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

So do you wish Bill to put the lady through what she has asked for her not to be put through for no other reason that to provide catharsis for your moral outrage and sense of justice.

Do you not accept her word that she thinks her kids will be harmed by a trial?
Victims do not press charges in these United States. Your question is irrelevant. Her wishes will be addressed at sentencing, if she so wishes to testify, but she has no standing to determine the prosecution of this crime. Nor should she: If it were statutorily up to the victim, victim coercion, intimidation, and bribery would be rampant and this would be repugnant to the administration of justice.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
A crime that provides a potential sentence of 10 years or more, is given a 20 year Statute of limitations in Germany (per your link).

Correct. But here you can't get more than five years - or just a fine.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 03:01 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
would be rampant and this would be repugnant to the administration of justice.

If it were not already clear that you have no concern for justice your wholesale dismissal of the best interests of the one primarily wronged by the crime would be illuminating.

All, you care about is retribution. Not all of the world considers thuggery superior to justice though, JSYK.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 03:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
A crime that provides a potential sentence of 10 years or more, is given a 20 year Statute of limitations in Germany (per your link).

Correct. But here you can't get more than five years - or just a fine.
What? Drug raping kids is punishable to a max of 5 years or a fine? Really?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 04:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
would be rampant and this would be repugnant to the administration of justice.

If it were not already clear that you have no concern for justice your wholesale dismissal of the best interests of the one primarily wronged by the crime would be illuminating.

All, you care about is retribution. Not all of the world considers thuggery superior to justice though, JSYK.
Further demonstration of your complete ignorance. I wasn't offering an opinion, I was explaining the rationale behind a statutory fact.
spendius

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 04:32 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
You don't respect the lady's wishes then or her concern for her kids?

Is it the fees or the drooling?

The law has a spirit as well as a letter. Ignore the former and you bring the law into disrepute even if you are nice and safe with all the right boxes ticked. If the cops operated the law like you seem to want the whole system would grind to a halt.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 04:39 pm
@spendius,
Justice in large part is the process of adjudicating rights. The victims right to pursue her chosen path to recovery must be respected, the collectives right to press ahead with this case is not unlimited.

In any case, no one has made a compelling case for why pressing this case now is in the collectives interest. I certainly have argued that it is against our best interests, so it is up for argument whether this LA DA is doing anything more honorable than personal grandstanding. We have seen a lot of rouge DA's lately, and this one certainly smells bad.
spendius

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
He probably has a wife who requires expenditure in the shops as compensation for her putting up with his unwanted attentions.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:26 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You don't respect the lady's wishes then or her concern for her kids?
I do, but no fair law can. Were decisions to prosecute left up to victims, the rich would wantonly break the law and buy their way out of trouble when they were caught. The mean would intimidate victims into not pressing charges. The powerful would coerce their friends and family out of trouble. All would be repugnant to justice. Ideally, the law should be applied evenly, regardless of the victim's wishes or the perpetrator’s means. Whether or not you happen to agree is immaterial. The law is the law.

spendius wrote:
Is it the fees or the drooling?

Only sick bastards like shorteyes might drool over kids being raped, and I don't see where fees enter into it. I do not wish to believe that the rich and famous can rape kids in my country and get away with it. I do not wish to send the message that he with the means to evade justice can do so with impunity. Your false dilemma mostly serves to demonstrate you are an asshole.

spendius wrote:
The law has a spirit as well as a letter. Ignore the former and you bring the law into disrepute even if you are nice and safe with all the right boxes ticked. If the cops operated the law like you seem to want the whole system would grind to a halt.
This is as ass-backwards as you are, Spendy. I want the law applied evenly, including too; rich child-rapists. It is you who seems to be pushing for an exception… and said exception is what mocks the ideal of even-handedness.

No one has offered a single justification for why a rapist should get away with rape and running from justice.
spendius

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:43 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Yeah--but you are the one exercised about the rich bloke. What about all the others which I think you are encouraging by your focus.

No case has been made that anybody was a rapist yet as far as I'm aware.

And this was no ordinary child so knock off milking that udder. She was working, no doubt with a pushy Mum behind her, for a model agency in Hollywood.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:50 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
No one has offered a single justification for why a rapist should get away with rape and running from justice.

totally predictable, you run right back to focusing on hurting an alleged rapist. It is not about him you asshole, who cares about Polanski.....it is about us, about having a justice system that administers, you know, justice. The integrity of the system is far more important than any one outcome. This case was already totally F'ed-up by your profession, there is no way to save it, it is time to let it go.

The take away from the Polanski case should be that if a fugitive runs from America and we believe that the case is worth pursuing, then efforts need to be made to bring the fugitive to justice. There can be no letting it go for decades and then changing our minds. Future DA's who sit in the chair after the DA who decided not to pursue a fugitive are honor bound, and also bound by the ideals of justice, to uphold the original DA's decision.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:09 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Yeah--but you are the one exercised about the rich bloke. What about all the others which I think you are encouraging by your focus.

No case has been made that anybody was a rapist yet as far as I'm aware.

And this was no ordinary child so knock off milking that udder. She was working, no doubt with a pushy Mum behind her, for a model agency in Hollywood.
You're aparently as sick as Shorteyes. The victim was a 13 year old child, and your slandering of the victim is disgusting.
This is a child, Spendy:
http://weblogs.thecw4.com/entertainment/rashedas-rundown/Samantha-Geimer.jpg
No one but other kids and sickos like Shorteyes would find her sexually attractive. And only a Shorteyed sicko like Roman Polanski would drug her and rape her repeatedly, over her repeated objections. Seriously Spendy; do you see anything but a kid in that picture? If she was your sister or daughter and some 44 year old sicko did that to her; you'd blame her for wanting to be a model? That's pretty sick.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

it is about us, about having a justice system that administers, you know, justice.
You clueless idiot; that is precisely why you don't let the rich child-rapist thumb his nose at the justice system, and reward him for cowering in France.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 07:56 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
No one but other kids and sickos like Shorteyes would find her sexually attractive. And only a Shorteyed sicko like Roman Polanski would drug her and rape her repeatedly, over her repeated objections. Seriously Spendy; do you see anything but a kid in that picture? If she was your sister or daughter and some 44 year old sicko did that to her; you'd blame her for wanting to be a model? That's pretty sick.

Look, I have myself said that what Polanski did was rape/rape, that he should have been rung up, but your protestations of a sicko Polanski violating an innocent 13 year old girl is just silly. This girl was 13 yes, and before she was violated by Polanski she had been strung out on Quaaludes, been drunk, and been penetrated sexually consensually. This is was no little innocent little girl like you are advertising.
http://geekslovesex.com/about/roman-polanski-underage-rape-trial-transcript-original-documents
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:14 pm
Quote:
SILVER: Well, what the judge did was frankly outrageous. We had agreed to a plea bargain. It wasn't what the prosecution wanted, it certainly wasn't what Polanski wanted, but it was what we wanted. We were the victim and this is the way in which Samantha would not be in trial. Samantha would be -- her name would not be exposed at the time. And she would be allowed to recover.

And the plea was proposed to the judge, the judge approved it. And then frankly the day before he called us in the chambers and said he was getting a great deal of pressure and a great deal -- he was concerned about criticism of him in the press. And he was going to sentence Polanski rather than to time served, which is what we agreed to, to 50 years. That's a long -- big difference. And...

KING: Told you that.

SILVER: Yes, told us that. And he Told us other things. He directed Mr. Dalton, Polanski's lawyer, to say certain things during court. He directed the prosecutor, Mr. Guncin (ph), to say certain things the next day. Directed me to do things. This is unheard of.

KING: Inviting him to flee?

SILVER: I don't know about that.

KING: (UNINTELLIGIBLE) 50 years.

SILVER: Well, I don't know about inviting him to flee. But he also said that he might consider reducing it if Polanski would self- deport himself. This a state court judge, he has no jurisdiction over immigration, naturalization matters. So this change of position by the judge excused Polanski. And there was an agreement. An agreement that was a good agreement. It addressed all of the interests of the parties and frankly I still think it ought to be enforce

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0302/24/lkl.00.html
0 Replies