I've done it! (disconnected from Facebook)

Sglass

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 03:54 pm
I like facebook. I interface more with my family and good personal friends.

I am just sorry that one can't type more than 340? characters at a time.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 04:04 pm
Shocked
blocked!

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3518/fbblock.jpg

security risk?
Sglass

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 04:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
what are you talking about. no understand.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 04:38 pm
@Region Philbis,
Wow Region. You must have your security set really high. I have some high powered security stuff on my computer and it tolerates Facebook really well. And I'm picking up zero spyware etc. from Facebook at least according to Spy Doctor.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 05:25 am

it's my work puter.
i have no control over security settings...
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:44 am
@Region Philbis,
Hmmm. Do your bosses block certain websites so the mice won't play when the cat's away? I had a former boss who did that. Considering that I was working 12+ hour days, it was an insult that helped prompt my 'take this job and shove it' moment. So we went into business for ourselves. A whole lot less money, but much much happier.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:24 am
@Foxfyre,

they used to block basic sites like yahoo, hotmail, and espn.
other sites were accessible within a "quota" timeframe (including A2k!).

last year they switched to sophos, and granted us access to everything.
sophos is (to quote the head of our IT dept) "considered the leading anti-virus software in the Business industry",
and was touted as being the ultimate barrier for all the malicious crap.

i think it's possible FB use is being abused here -- many co-workers have accounts...

interestingly, twitter is NOT being blocked... although that may change as well... Confused
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:28 am
@Region Philbis,
Social networks are almost always the first thing (along with youtube) that are blocked in corporate firewalls.

Then the proxy wars begin.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:35 am
@Robert Gentel,

just checked -- i can get to youtube, but not myspace...
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:44 am
@Region Philbis,
They aren't very draconian then. Youtube isn't just a time issue for HR but a bandwidth issue for IT, it's usually among the first.

By the way, you sure it's safe for you to be testing what they filter? I know some companies that also fire the people who most attempt to access the sites they block as a part of the deterrent strategy. A shot across the bow if you will.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:47 am
@Robert Gentel,

it's prolly safe for me -- i've been here a while.
wouldn't recommend the practice to a new employee though...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:10 am
I reconnected to facebook, because my daughters have taken to putting their new pictures there instead of sending them around by email. Plus, some of my friends have drifted away a bit since I left there.
Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Oh, oh! Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 10:59 am
I joined Facebook only very recently. But I can't figure out what it's for, what to do there, or why I should even bother going there or looking at the site. I check it only if I get e-mail saying that someone (a "friend") has posted something on my "wall" or whatever. I invited an old buddy to join me as a "friend". He shot me back an e-mail thanking me but adding, "no, thank you." He said he stays in touch with friends via e-mails and can't see the advantages of membership on some sort of special site. I thought that over and had to agree with him.

The Facebook format is confusing. I have yet to figure out how to post any thing other than text. And you're quite limited in the number of words you can post. In a word, it really sucks. I'm very happy with A2k as my main online contact to the rest of the world.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:08 am
Ha MA I noticed most of your friend requests were from women from A2K.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:11 am
@Sglass,
See, that's another thing. I don't think most of those requests are actually made by the people themselves. I've probably requested to become a friend of someone I don't eeven know. Their software makes suggestions automatically, based on commonalities between posters. I don't even understand how the site works. Or why I should care.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:12 am
@Sglass,
yes, those would be from me.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:15 am
Facebook is not really geared to detailed personal conversations with individuals, but is intended as a way to interact with a whole social network. When you have a family and group of friends as large and as widely dispersed as ours are, it is a way to see little snippets of their lives that they post and it does help maintain a feeling of connectiveness. Otherwise we might have little or no interaction except at weddings and funerals. And if they post something I want more information on, I can easily follow up with an email.

It would be almost awkward to interact with some of the kids my kids grew up with for instance, but we have been having a ball on Facebook with little memories of all those earlier good times plus we now see a glimpse of the adults they have become. They are scattered all over the world. Almost our entire family is now connected, and I have reconnected with old classmates and professional colleagues and discover a new one every now and then. And some are having a lot of fun playing the cooperative games. El Stud and I don't do much in the cooperative games, but we have fun watching.

Give it a little time and effort and I bet you will enjoy it too.

Your 'wall' is your 'profile' MA - just click on profile on the menu across the top of the Facebook page and you'll see whatever message your friend or loved one left.

Also on your home page, drag "updates" or "news feed" (menu on left side of page) to the top; otherwise you won't see a lot of the most interesting stuff going on.

0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:30 am
@Merry Andrew,
Wrong again.

I'd much rather read one of your books (that hasn't been written).
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:42 am
When first semester or marking period grades come out, I suspect there will be a WHOLE lot more people dropping out of FB.

My two granddaughters, for instance . . .

0 Replies