Equation of this weird graph

xy2k

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 01:42 am
The graph is a bit like (sorry, I can't find a pic of it on the net I've only seen it on paper) a cross between y=e^x and y=-e^x (I think this reflects the original y=e^x in the y axis) but if you take away the lines that keep going up, you have an almost straight line with a lump in the middle where it crosses the y axis and the line never touches 0 (I don't think it does anyway). What's the equation of the graph?

Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,395 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:17 am
This sounds a bit like a bell shaped curve - otherwise called a normal or gaussian distribution. This is a very important graph in statistics.

Take a look at this graph. The graph and the formulas are here, as well as an explanation. Please let me know if this is it.

http://ce597n.www.ecn.purdue.edu/CE597N/1997F/students/michael.a.kropinski.1/project/tutorial#Normal%20Distribution
0 Replies

xy2k

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 01:40 am
Almost. But the graph I've seen is much flatter and the bump in the middle is small but quite sudden and crosses the y axis at (0,0.5). Is there any to modify the equation of the graph on that site to match the graph I'm talking about?
0 Replies