Now I know without a doubt that people in Texas are stupid

Cycloptichorn

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 09:55 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I'm a wee bit curious, update history books sure, but why do they need to cull history? Are they trying to cut costs - paper/ink? Are they going for a standard sized book, therefore the need to excise a few names? Has there been a bumper crop of recent important history and/or people that justify or outshine the groundbreaking accomplishments of Lincoln et al?
Perhaps when Bush said he'd let the history books decide, the Texas board of Education took that on as a challenge.
Then again, they've messed with ancient history as well... from creationism up.

It's fair to say that there is a limited amount of space in textbooks; but this is far more than that. It's an attempt to shape the next generation from the ground up, and not just in Texas, but across the nation.

Cycloptichorn
Ceili

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 11:09 am
I realize this, I've read Texas sets the direction of textbooks because of their size/price cutting. Which states are on the buying list? Only southern states?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 12:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Ceili wrote:

I'm a wee bit curious, update history books sure, but why do they need to cull history? Are they trying to cut costs - paper/ink? Are they going for a standard sized book, therefore the need to excise a few names? Has there been a bumper crop of recent important history and/or people that justify or outshine the groundbreaking accomplishments of Lincoln et al?
Perhaps when Bush said he'd let the history books decide, the Texas board of Education took that on as a challenge.
Then again, they've messed with ancient history as well... from creationism up.

It's fair to say that there is a limited amount of space in textbooks; but this is far more than that.
It's an attempt to shape the next generation from the ground up, and not just in Texas, but across the nation.

Cycloptichorn
It IS.
I have a hunch that MM was implying that.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 12:39 pm
Those Texans must have mistaken NASA with the NAASA.

0 Replies

roger

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 01:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

In retrospect, I think that it would have been much better to have admitted Texas to the Union . . . .

It is part of the Union, then?
0 Replies

Eorl

Wed 23 Sep, 2009 07:28 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Maybe Neil Armstrong wouldnt have been noteworthy if he hadnt walked on the moon, but he did.
That is IMO still one of the greatest scientific achievements in my lifetime

Agreed, except where you say "in my lifetime" I would say, "in all of human history, and as far as we know, in the entire history of the universe".
C Davis

Thu 31 Jan, 2013 12:00 am
the people in Texas are too lazy to work, their money$$$$ and greed keep them BLINDED by ignorance and with their high degree of crime, its the good honest people that are punished and denied their legal rightsa!! You ARE NOT FREE IN TEXAS
0 Replies

C Davis

Thu 31 Jan, 2013 12:05 am
@Eorl,
are you kidding?...in 1969 I lived at Cape Kennedy...the people in Texas don't believe we ever went to the moon! HAHAHAHAHAHA...I GUESS IF YOU HAVE MONEY YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE BRAINS!
0 Replies