A Clockwork Orange: "Droogs"

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 04:31 pm
I referred to Mo's friends as his little droogies today. It just kind of fell out of my mouth.

I remember the term comes from A Clockwork Orange and means "friends".

A lot of the words in the book were based on Russian words and a kind of rhyming slang using English and Russian words.

I'm wondering about the etiology of the word "droog".

Does anyone know?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,514 • Replies: 16
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 04:41 pm
@boomerang,
droog : friend :: Russian (droog/friend)

I had to go to the cached version of nadsat: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:fksTjlWvOjUJ:www.geocities.com/athens/academy/1974/nadsat.html+clockwork+orange+droog&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 04:46 pm
@boomerang,
Hi hi hi my little droogies.

I use that too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 04:49 pm
dim wasn't all that bright for a droog.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 05:06 pm
Horrorshow DrewDad!

I see now that it is simply the Russian word for friend.

I think I'll start dropping a bit of Nadsat into my daily conversation just for kicks.
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 05:15 pm
@boomerang,
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Difference-Between-the-American-Term-Friend-and-the-Russian-Term-Droog&id=326651

Quote:
"The Russian word for friend is ‘droog.’ However, there are significant cultural differences between Americans and Russians as to what that word really means.

To quote Lynn Visson's "Wedded Strangers":

“The intensity of Russian relationships surprises Americans. Russians share everything with their closest friends. They share each other’s sorrow. They commiserate and help each other. A male friend is a brother, a drinking companion, a soul mate, and a bulwark against the outside world.”

“To a Russian woman, a girlfriend is a confidante with whom she shares things she may not share with her husband or mother. The women see each other as comrades in arms against weak men and a hostile world. Russian émigrés are even closer because they have their own problems and difficulties in coping with life in their new country.”

“In Russia, friends were there to help you when the system got in the way, to help you get a job, to fix your car, or lend you money. Few Americans have the time or patience for relationships requiring such commitment and loyalty. These relationships are very demanding.”

“To Americans, these types of relationships are smothering. Russian friendship is more similar to a type of war camaraderie than the social relationships that Americans have because for Russians life has been somewhat of a war.”

“Friends were trusted implicitly during the Soviet era because an improper remark could wind you up in a Gulag. A friend was someone who could be trusted absolutely and would never betray a confidence.”

As an aside, one Russian acquaintance of mine told me that her grandfather spent ten years in prison for telling an amusing anecdote about Stalin. Another Russian woman told me that her grandfather was shot during the Stalin years.

Lynn continues:

“The closeness and caring nature of Russian friendships can be very appealing after the me-first attitude of many Americans. Americans are used to moving frequently, making new friends. They live in the present and future. Russians associate everything with the past.”

“Americans use the word ‘friend’ to describe everyone from someone they see frequently at the fitness center to a co-worker they chat with at the water cooler.”

A Russian has three different terms for friends that proceed out in concentric rings. They would refer to those types of friends described above as acquaintances, the outer concentric ring. The closest concentric ring would be their closest friend, or ‘droog,’ in the Russian language."

(emphasis mine)

"Droog" is the root for the Russian words for bodyguard, militia and troop. So it does seem to be pretty intense.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 06:01 pm
Burgess was operating under the assumption that in the future, Russia and the Russian language would assume a greater importance. It was, of course, piss poor prognostication.

Welly, welly, well . . .
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 06:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Burgess was operating under the assumption that in the future, Russia and the Russian language would assume a greater importance. It was, of course, piss poor prognostication.

Quite right. Burgess of course wasn't the only writer of that time-frame to think this. (Cf. Orwell.) Even so right-wing an American libertarian as Robert Heinlein speculated that the Russian influence would be huge in the speculative future. In The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, for example, wives are referred to as gaspozhas, which, of course, is the Russian for 'wife.'

The literati of the mid-20th century were all unduly impressed with Russia and most everything Russian. This was partly out of admiration, but mostly due to unwarranted fear.
djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 06:30 pm
"What's it going to be then, eh?"

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/31C284H23NL.jpg
chai2

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 06:44 pm
@djjd62,
A bit of the old in and out?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 07:35 pm
@Merry Andrew,
What is more amazing to me is that while obsessing over the Russians, everyone seems to have missed the point about China and its huge population.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 07:57 pm
@Setanta,
having been written in the 50's cold war era, I doubt many considered the looming giant that became china.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 09:15 pm
@boomerang,
Horrorshow is one of the words that really highlights how much thought Burgess put into the book.

Horrorshow as "good" was derived from the Russian "khorosho".

Then he has Alex describe some horrific action as "horrorshow".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 09:51 pm
Burgess' novel was published in 1962. Some people in the 1930s and -40s were paying that much attention to China, but were often dismissed as "Old China Hands," especially after 1949, when they were seen as nostalgic dreamers. The historian Barbara Tuchman worked in New York and Tokyo in the 1930s, and was the Far Eats correspondent of The Nation and the New Statesman. In an interview i heard on the radio long ago, she said she got tired of being dismissed or actually laughed at when she tried to tell people of the potential of China, so she just stopped talking about it.

Bladerunner--the 1982 movie, not the 1974 novel--envisions a future world (placed somewhat prematurely in 1999) in which the East Asian influence has come to predominate. It is ambiguous about whether this is Japanese or Chinese, which i suspect was intentional, and, in the end, doesn't really matter.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:41 pm
@Setanta,
I remember quite a few "golden age" SF works that saw the potential of Asian nations. "Pan-Asian Co-prosperity Sphere" was Heinlein's, but he wrote about it more as a military threat than a cultural influence.
Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 12:20 am
@DrewDad,
Well, i have no great regard for Heinlein, and he wasn't being very original with that. The Japanese referred to their burgeoning extraterritorial empire as the "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere." They were using the idea as far back as their 1895 take-over of Taiwan.

I would expect Sci-Fi writers to "get" that, especially as there were so many "Old China Hands" on the loose, especially after 1949. But i don't think the great pundits and the great "literary" authors saw it coming. Sci-Fi writers often deal in ideas that are not the common currency of the literary world.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 08:19 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The Japanese referred to their burgeoning extraterritorial empire as the "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere."

Maybe I've conflated. I don't really care enough to search it out, though.
0 Replies