Media changes : how are you weathering the technological revolution?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:24 pm
Very exciting news on Facebook recently. An online friend from Abuzz/early A2k days had one of her photos used as the base for a NYT magazine cover. Exciting eh.

The photo had been sourced from flickr. The discussion at flickr about the photo got mmmmm energized.

There is an article in the SFGate on the effect of photo hobbyists on the industry of photo journalism.

Quote:
Time's former senior White House photographer Dirck Halstead said the deal is another symptom of "the death of photojournalism."

Photo hobbyists snapping up more business

Editor and Publisher regularly reports on mergers/closures of newspapers and other media.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/index.jsp

FORESTWEB Report: U.S. Newsprint Consumption Continues Sharp Downward Trend

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (September 02, 2009) -- Newsprint consumption in the United States remained on a downward slope in July, falling by 21.4% year-over-year, according to data released by the Pulp and Paper Products Council (PPPC).

Through the first seven months of this year, 3.03 million tonnes of newsprint was consumed in the U.S., and this was down 25.4% from a year earlier.

Consumption by U.S. dailies showed an almost identical trend, dropping by 21.8% in July and 25.1% year-to-date, to 2.38 million tonnes. Total U.S. newsprint demand fell 24.0% in July and was off 31.1% year-to-date, to 2.86 million tonnes.

Information is coming to us in different ways, using different resources.

Have you noticed the information technology revolution? is it changing how you get your information/share your information? do you read hard copy books/magazines/newspapers at all?

Does the end of traditional photojournalism change anything?

The new media - what is it - do you know more or less now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,534 • Replies: 3

kuvasz

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:41 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll give you my Commodore 64 when you take it from my cold, dead hands!

Ops, just used up all my memory!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:43 pm
all forms of journalism are moving towards a model where content is provided by unpaid individuals. Considering how bankrupt journalism has become during the age of corporate control and ownership of the instruments of journalism, my opinion is that we have nothing to lose by giving amateur journalism a go.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 07:02 pm
@ehBeth,
There is a lot of raw talent in the world which has never been visible before simply because it took too much money to get public exposure. This isn't just happening in photography, it's also happening with music and writing and technical skill, etc.

As the Internet moves forward I think we're going to see more and more "flash fads" as bits of random creativity emerge spontaneously from the information flow and draw attention. Longevity and repetition will then become the critical factor in measuring impact.
0 Replies