Can I Recover data from a dead MP3 Player?

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:16 pm
My Creative Zen Vision:M is dead or otherwise non responsive and I'd really hate myself if I lost the 30GB of music on it... The computer doesn't recognize it when I plug it into the USB port; is there anyway I can open it up and somehow take the hard drive to an expert? Any suggestions would be lovely. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 7,065 • Replies: 6
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:27 pm
@brokencdplayer,
have you tried resetting it?

Gently push the end of a thin object (such as a pin or straightened paperclip) into the Reset hole.
The reset button for your player is located at the bottom of the player, to the left of the sync adapter port.
brokencdplayer

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:33 pm
@djjd62,
Yes, I've tried resetting it. The power light just flickers, but the Recovery Mode doesn't come up.
The computer doesn't recognize it.
I put it in the AC wall charger and the power light comes on but the screen and buttons remain off.
I've poked around the web and am guessing the motherboard or something tragic like that is fried.
djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:36 pm
@brokencdplayer,
i got the feeling from a few searches i did that these players dying is not uncommon, good luck, hope you can find something to help you
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:47 pm
@brokencdplayer,
You did used a paper clip on the reset hole did you not of the player?

If you are lucky it is not the hard drive that went bad but some other part of your player and if so it might be a good idea to buy a second hand player of the type on ebay and change out the drives. Doing a fast look on ebay you should be able to pick a working used one up for 60 dollars or so.

You could removed the drive and look at it using a USB to hard drive adopted however I have a feeling that you are going to be looking at a database that contain your music that you will not be able to deal with directly and an adopted will set you back almost the same as just buying a used player.

Second in the future back up your important information including you music library! An external USB hard drive of 500 G is around 80 dollars!
djjd62

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 07:02 pm
@BillRM,
gotta love an external hard drive, i've got a terabyte between three drives (1 500 and 2@250)
0 Replies

alveyims

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 04:19 am
@brokencdplayer,
have you reset yoru player? any 3rd party data recovery software you want to choose to get back your music from mp3 player?
0 Replies