What does the last line of Revelation 11:18 mean?

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 02:09 pm
Hello,
I'm very, very interested in the last sentence of Revelation 11:18. And I’d like to hear from anyone who would like to comment on what I’m about to write. There it says that God will be, “destroying those who destroy the earth." I checked three translations on line: New International Version, New Jerusalem Bible and King James and they all use the same phrase.

Now, looking at different news article and websites it’s easy for all of us to see what’s going on with the earth. Apparently the human race is trashing the planet on a never before possible scale! For instance, we are simultaneously: melting the poles, burning up the rain forests, frying the air, driving the wild life to extinction, fishing the oceans dry, growing the deserts…could it be any worse? Well, I guess so, because I just read about a swirl of plastic out in the Pacific that’s the size of Texas! (Just Google, “Plastic Spiral”) It would seem that over the years we have been dumping so much plastic waste into the oceans it is now collecting into this monster swirl. Some people say it’s just hype. Wrong answer, actually all you have to do is go to any beach anywhere and you’ll find more plastic then seashells these days. I know this to be fact because I live at the ocean.

So it’s safe to say that we are living in the time when God will have had enough of the earth being ruined and call a halt to it. That being said I’d like to see what you think about a comment I read on one of the sites I visited. Apparently the woman commenting read or heard of that last line in Revelation 11:18. Her comment was wonderful, scary and right on point if you ask me. She said, “The thought of an outraged God having enough is a lot more frightening to me then never being able to drive my Volvo again!”

Now, what about that statement? It seems to me that the woman making that comment wasn’t worried about the ‘earth’ being turned into a smoking cinder, no, she was worried about being ‘personally’ turned into a smoking cinder! Fearful that she would be reckoned by God as one of the ‘destroyer’ of His property, ‘His’ earth.

So then, why is it taught that God is going to destroy the earth by fire? That’s not what that scripture says. And I’ve read other scripture that refute that as well. What about, “The meek will inherit the earth”…(I read that, but can’t remember where it is in Psalms). At any rate, an inheritance is something valuable; something that the person who left it for you felt you would appreciate receiving…a, ‘burned out cinder’ is not a heritance!

Also, it’s the ‘meek’ that get left the inheritance and sense I’ve never heard of greedy, destructive people referred to as, ‘meek’ I’d have to conclude that God allows the meek to inherit the earth because he can trust them as thoughtful caretakers of the inheritance.

What about this: There’s another scripture that says something like, “God didn’t form the earth simply for nothing…He meant it to be inhabited.” So then, final question…why would God say on one hand that he’s going “to destroy those destroying the earth” and then turn right around and…DESTROY THE EARTH?

So then, what I’m getting out of that last line of that verse is that God will get ride of the greedy, selfish destroyer types and give the earth a chance to recover with the help of meek conservationists who are not destroyers but instead, ‘restorers’.

I’d love to hear any response that’s logical…Sorry, ”Devine Mystery” doesn’t work for me as a logical answer. Besides, He gave us the best selling book of all times to use as reference. That means, ‘please’…make a comment, back it up by two or more ‘scriptural’ references and then, and only then, move on to your next comment. In the meantime I’ll do the same. I’ll find the ‘Meek’ scripture in Psalms and the, “earth meant to be inhabited” one as well. Also, I read that if all ‘destroying’ of the earth stopped today the earth would completely recover in about100 years. I’ll find where I read that and post it too.

Look forward to discussing,
Sammie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,959 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Sammiesoo
contrex

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:31 pm
Good men and women have risked (and sometimes lost) their reason trying to puzzle out the Book Of Revelations. To put it politely, it is obscure, to put it more bluntly, it is a farrago of nonsense.

Try to find another hobby.
0 Replies

Intrepid
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:27 pm
@Sammiesoo,
You will find that some who do not agree with you, or want you to have the freedom of thought or religion, will often ridicule you or otherwise post with meaningless opinions to that which they know absolutely nothing about.

Hopefully, you will be able to find some meaningful discussion.
Sammiesoo

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 01:12 pm
@Intrepid,
Thank you very much Intrepid!
I took a lot of time putting my thoughts together and I appreciate your kindness. There was another respondent to my question and they said pretty much what you just described. They said I needed to, “get another hobby”. Interestingly enough you might be surprised to know just how many people out here think that what’s going on with the earth is just ‘same old--same old’, not really anything to worry about. Honestly I was of the same opinion until I started adding up the different things that are being done to the earth, the ‘combined’ damage in other words.

That was when I started visiting web sites to see what was being done. Instead I found out that even once an exiting problem could be backed up by scientific proof (take melting of the poles for instance) there no one powerful enough on earth to put worldwide bans if place, much less enforce them. It was while reading over different sites that I saw what was said about Revelation 11:18 and the thought about the ‘ruiners’ being removed by God and the earth being allowed to recover in peace. The more I read, see and think about it the more sense it makes to me.

So, thanks again for your kind encouragement and thanks as well for validating my right to ask and receive credible insights.

Sammie soo
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 01:15 pm
What a whiney little sour-puss you are Intrepid. Would you please explain how someone posting at this web site can interfere with this joker's freedoms of thought and religion? Bullshit artist.

The line of scripture to which you refer means that your pathetic little ass is grass, and Jesus is the lawnmower.
Francis

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 01:43 pm
Set wrote:
The line of scripture to which you refer means that your pathetic little ass is grass, and Jesus is the lawnmower.

To say the least...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:01 pm
I am not opposed to Sammiesoo having freedom of thought or religion. I just think that out of all the Christian whackjobs there are, the nuttiest are the people who drone on about Revelation. Nobody is forced to agree with that. Next year, when I take over the world, there will be camps built for people who I don't agree with, but for the time being they are safe.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 03:56 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What a whiney little sour-puss you are Intrepid. Would you please explain how someone posting at this web site can interfere with this joker's freedoms of thought and religion? Bullshit artist.

You have the right to your opinion. No matter how silly it may be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 05:18 pm
Just as you have the right to your paranoia, no matter how unfounded it is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 05:18 pm
Oh, and to translate, that means you haven't explained how someone posting here can interfere with this members freedom of thought and religion.
0 Replies

Rolophill

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2011 08:13 pm
@Sammiesoo,
I appreciate your post, but PLEASE learn how to use the English language....one of my pet peeves......it's THAN, not THEN.....
0 Replies