Alligator pears

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:47 am
So what are the uses of the Alligator pear or avocado?

Indians in tropical America break them in half, add salt and eat with tortillas and a cup of coffee"as a complete meal. In North America, avocados are primarily served as salad vegetables, merely halved and garnished with seasonings, lime juice, lemon juice, vinegar, mayonnaise or other dressings. Often the halves are stuffed with shrimp, crab or other seafood. Avocado flesh may be sliced or diced and combined with tomatoes, cucumbers or other vegetables and served as a salad. The seasoned flesh is sometimes used as a sandwich filling. Avocado, cream cheese and pineapple juice may be blended as a creamy dressing for fruit salads.

Mexican guacamole, a blend of the pureed flesh with lemon or lime juice, onion juice or powder, minced garlic, chili powder or Tabasco sauce, and salt and pepper has become a widely popular dip for crackers, potato chips or other snacks. The ingredients of guacamole may vary and some people add mayonnaise.

Because of its tannin content, the flesh becomes bitter if cooked. Diced avocado can be added to lemon-flavored gelatin after cooling and before it is set, and chunks of avocado may be added to hot foods such as soup, stew, chili or omelet’s just before serving. In Guatemalan restaurants, a ripe avocado is placed on the table when a hot dish is served and the diner scoops out the flesh and adds it just before eating. For a gourmet breakfast, avocado halves are warmed in an oven at low heat, then topped with scrambled eggs and anchovies.
I'm having one for breakfast at the moment, just a bit of salt, pepper and lime juice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,830 • Replies: 27
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:49 am
I usually have them on impulse. Halve it and eat it out of the skin with a spoon. I don't know the varieties, but I prefer the smaller ones.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:52 am
It's not widely known, but if you bury them in sand in a well drained, sunny location, they will hatch into hungry, young alligators in a few short weeks.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:57 am
@roger,
usually as twins which is why they are called pears.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:58 am
The two skin halves are commonly stuffed with cotton and worn as ear muffs.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
as well as athletic supporters.
Gala

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:31 pm
I used to buy 3 packs of 4 organic avacados a week for about $1 a piece. I'd eat everyone of them within the week. That comes to one or 2 a day. Alas, they've gotten expensive, so no more.

I'd eat one for breakfast and then toss one on the plate with whatever I had for dinner.

They're really good for you-- not only are they high in Vitamin E but they're also great for balancing out a too acidic diet.

Here's the link:
http://www.happyherbalist.com/alkaline_acid_balance.htm
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:59 pm
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jmo0415l.jpg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:08 pm
I often wonder how Europeans were able to survive at all before discovery of the North and South American continents provided them with the necessary foods e.g. maize (corn), tomatoes, potatoes, chiles and, of course, avocadoes. I can't imagine a garden salad without tomatoes (nor do I wish to). And I hardly ever make a salad myself without dicing some avocado in it.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:40 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

I often wonder how Europeans were able to survive at all before discovery of the North and South American continents provided them with the necessary foods e.g. maize (corn), tomatoes, potatoes, chiles and, of course, avocadoes. I can't imagine a garden salad without tomatoes (nor do I wish to). And I hardly ever make a salad myself without dicing some avocado in it.

Tomato's and Potato's are new world vegetables? I didn't know that. How the hell did those europeans survive?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:43 pm
They ate spaghetti and pork pies.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:43 pm
mmm, aguacate. . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 05:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

Yeah but there's some question as to whether they even knew how to make pasta until Marco Polo returned from China with the recipe.
roger

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:01 pm
@rosborne979,
Who knows. They didn't even have tobacco.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:04 pm
@dyslexia,
And bras. You just need a little string. I'm going to make one.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:04 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:

Yeah but there's some question as to whether they even knew how to make pasta until Marco Polo returned from China with the recipe.
pasta was introduced to the boot by arabs in the 8th century. marco brought silk, gunpowder and tea.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:06 pm
@dyslexia,
I gladly bow to your superior knowledge, dys. So what'd the Eye-talians eat before the terrorist Muslims brought them pasta?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:42 pm
@Merry Andrew,
grappa and cheese.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:52 pm
@Merry Andrew,
The Polos brought back pasta from China, oh thou of little erudition.
Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:53 pm
I likes to cut an avacado length-wise, twist it so the seed remains in one half, and then scoop out the seed, and eat the flesh with a spoon, having liberally salted it.