Arthur Conan Doyle Cricket Character

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:30 am
Which character created by Arthur Conan Doyle took 15 wickets for 92 runs in his one and only test match versus Australia?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,704 • Replies: 8
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:44 am
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, MD (Edin), the well-known author, born at Edinburgh on May 22, 1859, died at Crowborough, Sussex, on July 7, aged 71. Although never a famous cricketer, he could hit hard and bowl slows with a puzzling flight. For MCC v Cambridgeshire at Lord's, in 1899, he took seven wickets for 61 runs, and on the same ground two years later carried out his bat for 32 against Leicestershire, who had Woodcock, Geeson and King to bowl for them. In the Times of October 27, 1915, he was the author of an article on The Greatest of Cricketers - An Appreciation of Dr Grace. (It is said that Shacklock, the former Nottinghamshire player, inspired him with the Christian name of his famous character, Sherlock Holmes, and that of the latter's brother Mycroft was suggested by the Derbyshire cricketers
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:52 am
@sophocles,
A little google reveals this

The Story Of Spedegue's Dropper
0 Replies

newbyquizzer

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:21 am
@sophocles,
Great Fun Quiz question yet again! Please don't spoil the quiz for us all by asking questions from it on this site. The organiser has repeatedly requested contestants not to do so, so in the spirit of fair play, please respect his request.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:27 pm
I see the Australian team was just as good then as now! Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:35 am
Ritchie Benaud is never around when you need him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:38 am
Can one assume Ritchie knows something about cricket? Is that a form of dance? Is it a party game?
marigold123

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 10:14 am
@Setanta,
How many more GFQ questions has sophocles cheated on this month? Every time I google I'm directed to him asking here.
parados

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:06 pm
@marigold123,
Don't ask the question in Google. Google will just look for all the words in the question and lead you to the question if someone posted it. I doubt they would write the question so just asking the question in google will give you the answer.

Use terms that you think will help you out.
0 Replies