Python Eats Cat: new law proposed

aidan

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 12:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I am particularly prejudiced against venomous snakes.

And I seem to bear prejudice against cats. I just don't like them - never, ever have. I can't seem to trust them.

So when I read this story, all I could picture were the numerous eviscerated animals I've found on my walkway over the years - thoughtfully left there by the neighbor's cat was also constantly crapping in my kids' sandbox - which I covered at night, but believe it or not - I'd look out the kitchen window and see the cat in the sandbox with the kids while they were in it - and have to dig out cat dung and replace the sand....I have no patience for cats at all.
I also don't like snakes particularly, so I feel I'm pretty neutral in this situation.
And I come down on the side of the snake - as much as I hate to think about what he did to the cat- he was in his rightful place minding his own business. The cat's curiosity got the better of him.
Such is life.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 02:32 pm
@dlowan,

Well for goodness sakes. In your ear? In the early morning?

Which proves the world really is divided into two....the cat lovers and the others.
dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 03:42 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Well for goodness sakes. In your ear? In the early morning?

Which proves the world really is divided into two....the cat lovers and the others.

Well, as far as she was concerned, it was a pearl of great price.

Not that I'd want a pearl in my ear at 3.00 am. Probably worse than a mouse, as it would likely get right inside and need extracting.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:53 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I would think that NOT being bitten by a highly venomous snake, which was clearly peacefully asleep and minding its own business, when rudely attacked by a human, would decrease one's fear of snakes, rather than increase it!!!

All predators are horrid from the point of the view of the prey...and being presented with rats and mice by one of my cats, who killed a great many of them, was awful from my point of view...but likely helpful from the point of view of the ecology and my neighbours.

I had one cat who used to place the odd mouse, quite unharmed, in my ear at 3.00 am and wait to be congratulated.

I had a shoebox in my chest of drawers, with soft nesting, and I used to put the mice in there while they were still frozen in fear, let them settle during the night, and release them again some distance away in the morning.

I have more fear of spiders, having had two serious infections from their bites....but they do what they do, and it is ridiculous to bear wild animals ill will for their normal behaviour. I just don't want them in my home!
I rescued a small sparrow who was in such a state of paralytic terror
from my tom cat. I sheltered him for a while to give him a chance
to calm down then let him fly away.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:56 am

My tom cat killed 1 or 2 squirrels gratuitously.
He was well fed.
I guess he was just hardwired to do that.
0 Replies