chai2

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:42 pm
What a dumb book.

It was so full of holes it was unbelievable.

so like, Edward woud not be able to resist Bella if she was bleeding?

What does he do when she mentruates?

And yeah, he's spent the last 100 years or so being a junior in high scool?

Oh, and like he's going to fall in love with a 17 year old girl, basically because she smells like bacon and eggs to him.

Someone gave me the paperback. It was a quick read if you skipped over all the "I'm so confused about my feelings for you" crap.

Zombie Survival Guide.

Now that's where it's at.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,063 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:47 pm
@chai2,
You know, chai, I bet you would make a good book reviewer.

I'm reminded of Dorothy Parker's review of the play "The House Beautiful. "The House Beautiful was the Play Lousy.
chai2

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 09:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You know, chai, I bet you would make a good book reviewer.

I'm reminded of Dorothy Parker's review of the play "The House Beautiful. "The House Beautiful was the Play Lousy.

yeah, and she's got this shitty old truck, and he offers to buy her a nice little Audi or something, and she's all like "oh no edward, you've got more money than God, and I don't want you wasting it on me."

btw, the guy is freaking dead and cold as a clam, and won't ever be able to have sex with her because he'd loose control and rip her throat out.

oh edward, you're my life.

if I was a vampire, you wouldn't catch me living in bum-hump washington.

and no one thinks it's strang these 4 kids sit at their own lunch table all year and never eat a bite of food.

don't these people text each other? They had cell phones, but I think they mentioned using one about twice in the whole damn book.
FreeDuck

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 11:17 pm
@chai2,
I am glad you started this thread, chai. So, we were driving home with the kids last week and my husband saw this book in the road. My son loves to read so Mr. Duck jumps out and grabs the book out of the road. It was called Breaking Dawn. I had never heard of it, so I thought I should read it to see if it was something appropriate for Duckie. Ugh, he owes me big time for that. Now I know why it was laying in the middle of the street.

It turns out that Breaking Dawn is the last in the Twilight series, which was apparently written for teenage girls, possibly by one. It is so awful, that when my dog starting licking the cover I promised him he could eat it as soon as I was through with it. (Yes, I had to finish it once I had started it.) He is chewing on it now. I was raised in a book loving household where dog-earing is strictly verboten, so to allow my dog to eat a book, well you see where Im going.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:14 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Zombie Survival Guide.

Now that's where it's at.

It's so true. It was given to me as a gift. One of those, it will look funny on a coffee table type gifts. They didn't think I'd actually read it. I found that once I opened it, I couldn't put it down. It was one of the most educational books I've read in some time.

It just happened to be about zombies.

Honestly, not a bad book to take with you on a camping trip. Lots of practical info on first aid (not all injuries will be zombie related) and building fires (gotta stay warm in a post zombie apocalypse), and gathering survival equipment. It even had a pretty good section on coaching someone in grief from a lost loved one (because they died via zombies).

Best chapter IMO is on selecting a melee weapon. I think they threw in the Shaolin Spade as a joke, but it was very funny. crowbar FTW.

T
Know your exits.
O
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:25 am
Good Morning All.

I'm glad to see my thread wasn't met with immediate scorn.

My thinking is that it's great to write books geared to a younger audience, but don't insult their intelligence by dumbing it down. Writers, on't encourage or promote people to be surface thinkers. Do your research, as in "what would happen if?"

Ducky, speaking of books and driving...
When I was 16 years old, we were going to some kind of family reunion probably 3 hours away. I bought some paperback at the drug store to have something to read on the way there.
It was a story about a lonely girl, a total misfit at her school. She had a crazy mother who was a religious fanatic. When the girl expressed any thought of her own, her mother would lock her in a dark closet that had a Jesus with glow in the dark eyes, that stared at her and saw her sins.
Some of her schoolmates decided to play a trick on her by having the cutest guy at school ask her to the prom.
It ended badly, something involving a bucket of pigs blood.

I think I read the entire book during that car ride. I know I thought about it all during the reunion.

Of course a person takes that leap of faith, for the sake of the book, assuming there are vampires, zombies, people with telekinetic powers. After that the author has to make it real.

Look at LOTR's. Did anyone NOT believe that this complicated world existed while reading the book? My God, Tolkein has whole sections devoted to their languages and history.

Diest...honestly, the book I read, thinking back was the Z-Wars, the sequel to ZSG. But yes, I truly obtained an education from it. Have you read that one?
Great, now I have to get the guide....today....

BTW, did you know the author, Max Brooks, is Mel Brooks son?

I can just see Mel reading it.....oy.
Reyn

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:55 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I'm glad to see my thread wasn't met with immediate scorn.

Are you kidding? I love it when you get all:
http://www.dreamstime.com/angry-woman-thumb4512778.jpg
over something. Always makes for interesting reading. Wink You are never dull!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:48 pm
My 13 year old read the entire Twilight series within a few days - she was
practically glued to it. Then when the movie came out she's seen it at least
5 times and can't wait for the follow-up movie in November.

I did not read it and I don't intend to. Some books are just for teenagers,
it makes sense to them.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:07 pm
I think I gave up around page 50. I've liked some books aimed at young adults, but Twilight is what I call a "wall banger". It bordered on silly with a heavy dose of angst, and that's just fine for the under 17 crowd who have yet to discover the wider world of well written fiction.

Chai, if you insist on zombies with your literature you might want to try:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/Pride-And-Prejudice-And-Zombies-Seth-Grahame-Smith.jpg

0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Diest...honestly, the book I read, thinking back was the Z-Wars, the sequel to ZSG. But yes, I truly obtained an education from it. Have you read that one?
Great, now I have to get the guide....today....

Whoa. Haven't heard about Z-wars. I'll check that out. I should have expected as much from a Brooks. Hilarious.

T
K
O
0 Replies