Why are cigars given on the birth of a male?

Muarck

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:10 pm
Okay, I couldn't find a decent answer via Google, Wikianswers, or Yahoo Answers.

What brought about about the tradition of giving out cigars when a male baby is born?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 22,329 • Replies: 25
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 09:30 pm
@Muarck,
Some say the ritual was handed down by the Snohomish tribe in the Northwest Pacific area.
They would put on a potlatch, a big banquet to celebrate a birth, and share a smoke or pipe.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 10:34 pm
By the way, many people hand out cigars whether the baby is male or female. Cheap cigars (really, really nasty cigars) are manufactured with wrappers proclaiming: "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!"
0 Replies

Muarck

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:06 pm
Problem is tradition is to give out the cigar only when a boy is born. I believe the indian tradition is for males or females. Granted currently cigars can be given for both male and female babies. but that's mostly due to our progressive/modern mindset that says male and females must be treated in an equal light. Originally the tradition was cigar for males only. What I'm really interested in is the origin of the tradition.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 11:17 pm
Well, i remember such cigars back in the '50s, before "women's liberation" and "permissive" attitudes, so to be polite, i'll just say that i doubt your authority for such a remark.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 12:21 am
Gotta agree with Setanta on this. I remember new dads handing out cigars regardless of new child's gender as far back as my memory reaches. And my memory reaches a good ways back.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 12:27 am
Agree with Set and MA. "Traditional" means "It's older than I am". It's traditional.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 05:04 am

the answer might be in this book --

Birthing fathers: the transformation of men in American rites of birth by Richard K. Reed
(clickity-click to read the book)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 06:24 am
Don't know if it is true, but I always considered a cigar a phallic symbol. (Very few women smoke cigars, and nearly none smoke big fat ones). In my mind, fathers handing out cigars are telling the world how virile and potent they are.
mismi

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 06:38 am
@Setanta,
I have seen men give them out for both girls and boys as well. Don't think it has anything to do with the child being male. I do believe, like Merry Andrew it was a tradition started back when smoking cigars was a common thing.

Maybe it is on some level Green Witch...but it has nothing to do with the birth of a boy baby.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:22 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Don't know if it is true, but I always considered a cigar a phallic symbol. (Very few women smoke cigars, and nearly none smoke big fat ones). In my mind, fathers handing out cigars are telling the world how virile and potent they are.

If this was true they would probably have been handing out cucumbers. Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:01 am
To remind you that in america anyone can grow up to be President Wink
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:07 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
but I always considered a cigar a phallic symbol. (Very few women smoke cigars, and nearly none smoke big fat ones).

This seems contradictory. If cigars were phallic symbols... wouldn't it be women who smoke them?

((sometimes a cigar is just a cigar))
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:17 am
@ebrown p,
Nah, it is the guy who is crowing about his maleness. Also, regular ties are phallic symbols. What is the first think that comes to mind when you see a guy in a bow tie?

Interesting article: http://cinemaroll.com/cinemarolling/10-common-phallic-symbols-in-cinema/ If you Google "cigars/phallic symbols" you will find lots of articles about this subject.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:36 am
@Phoenix32890,
Pure man-hating sexist hogwash.

Have you ever wondered why there is no equivalent search for female genitalia...

What are the vulvic symbols in movies?

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:42 am
@ebrown p,
ebrownp- What are the names that men call women when they are being sexist and demeaning? Think about it.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:51 am
@Phoenix32890,
Sure Phoenix... men and women are both referred to by their genitals as an insult.

But this obsessive search for male genitalia... as a symbol of derogatory traits is unique. You don't see lists of vulvic symbols in movies.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 12:28 pm
ummm... Rosebud.....Citizen Cane.
Any James Bond Flick.
The vagina with teeth, this is a particularily common female character.
One of the 10, 200 sites referring to sexual innuendo related to Disney. I laughed as I read this one. People with nothing better to do.
http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/tcom/faculty/ha/tcom103fall2003/gp13/gp13.pdf
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 12:39 pm
@Ceili,
Can't get into your site, Ceili, but I agree with you. Symbolism of female genitalia in film, art and literature is no less rife than phallic symbolism.
panzade

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 12:45 pm
@Merry Andrew,
it's an adobe file...pretty funny