sounds good to me, prolly make lady Diane barf

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:51 pm
4 slices bacon
4 tablespoons butter
1 head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 can corned beef (from canned meat section in store)

Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium heat until almost crisp. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside.
Melt the butter in the pot with the bacon grease. Add the cabbage, stirring well to coat the cabbage in drippings. Add about 1/3 cup water, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cover pot with a lid, and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, chop the bacon into small pieces. Remove the lid from the pot, and scatter chunks of corned beef and chopped bacon over top of the cabbage.

Cover and cook until desired doneness. I personally like a little bit of crunch left to the cabbage.

Tip: Cabbage is one of those vegetables that naturally contains water in its leaves. Begin by adding just a small amount of water. As cabbage cooks, if it needs more liquid, then add more water.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,172 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 09:55 pm
@dyslexia,
Depends. Are you going to use it to catch catfish, or were you planning on eating that mess er mass?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 10:38 pm
@dyslexia,
sounds like somethin' oughta be wrapped in a bierock shell...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:48 am
@dyslexia,
Sounds pretty damn' good to me. But then I'm the kind that saves bacon grease and uses it as sandwich spread later.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:24 am
Who is Lady Diane?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:34 am
@contrex,
dyssus missus...
0 Replies

Froth

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:03 am
@dyslexia,
Not many foods are ok out of a can and meat definitely isn't one of them . Not for human consumption anyway.
Buy real corned beef and boil it for about 2 hours with a splash of vinegar and a half a handful of brown sugar. Serve with white sauce and the cabbage dish on the side.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:11 am
@Froth,
well, the thing is I was at the market and thought I was buying a tin of cornbeef hash but when I got home I discovered I had bought a tin of corned beef and was looking for what to do with it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:17 am
sounds good to me

0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:29 am
I don't think all that cabbage is good for you.
djjd62

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:49 am
@George,
the resulting methane won't be good for the global warming crisis
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 08:53 am
@djjd62,
drive a prius

that will make it all better
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:04 am
Put a sprig of parsley on it and you've got a masterpiece.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:30 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
the resulting methane won't be good for the global warming crisis

. . . but imagine if that energy could be harnessed!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:30 pm
Throw in a can/jar of bbq beans and it's a meal!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 03:14 pm
I haven't had canned corned beef in a zillion years. I remember liking it. We made our own kind of corned beef hash, with the canned beef and canned "new" potatoes, sauteed (a word I didn't know) which I also liked.

On cabbage, I've read that if you cook it over seven minutes (or something like that), and I take that as at medium heat, it will exude a sulfurous odor.. I don't know, as I've poor sense of smell. I use cabbage in soup a fair amount, but I tend to just simmer soup. All these soups of mine may stink, but I can't tell. ; )
0 Replies