Suggestions, anyone? I was going to drive up the country today ....

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
...my favorite jewelry store was named Reckless Woman

Oh I wouldn't mind visiting there today, osso! (Or some Melbournian equivalent!) The weather, for starters, is just perfect for such an adventure! Very Happy
Some dangly earrings, or a gee-gawish ring might be good! Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:03 pm
Is the weather really bad? Absolutely stunning here today - but tomorrow is expected to be different.

Go down to the markets ?Victoria Markets (after buying some great jewelry, of course) and buy something unusual, something you haven't had before, go home and google some recipes.

I'm just on the way out to buy the fixings for some kangaroo carpaccio (I already have roo) that I want to try out before some overseas visitors next month. I'm quite looking forward to something completely different. I have friendly guinea pig coming over tonight for testing.

I'm trying to think up a particularly Ozzian dessert - any suggestions - as it's not mango season?

Down to St Kilda for some exotic cake - after jewelry session!
Joeblow

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:08 pm
@msolga,
It's straight to the shops then. Don'y dally or you'll lose your momentum. You might check out that salon you've been eying (well a girl presumes...) and book a hair appointment for an hour and a bit after you've got there. Some kind of gastronomy indulgence is in order -- but take out in my opinion, to be savored at home in your clean house, with your new do, after you've browsed and purchased either a) a good book, or b) a good movie.

AND...this is important. You must give your very best smile to at least one stranger during the outing.

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
How much of Melbourne have you ever actually been to?

Quite a bit of it, RJB! Including a recent river trip on the Yarra by ferry, on a freezing cold day ... which nearly froze my friend & my faces & ears off! Brrrrr! Very interesting seeing the city from this persective, though.
Melbourne is growing like topsy (as they say). The suburban sprawl has gotten so extensive it's now actually quite hard to get to some of the far-flung places with don't have exactly wonderful public transport, which those of us in the more "inner" areas enjoy.

Here's a thought: take the No 96 tram from East Brunswick (Close to where I live) , via the city centre, to St Kilda (by the sea).
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:10 pm
@Joeblow,
When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:13 pm
@margo,
Ha, you remember the St Kilda jewelry buying episode, margo! Very Happy

Cake! Now there's something that I could be talked into!

Hmmmmm ..... an Oz dessert? Let me think about that one!
0 Replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:16 pm
@msolga,
If it was me, msolga, (though you may have seen them recently) I'd check out the aquarium and the new museum. Is Salvador Dali still in town?
msolga

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:20 pm
@Joeblow,
You're a mind reader, Joe.

I have actually been thinking "movie". There are quite a number of (what sound like) very good ones showing at the moment.
As for the haircut. Boy do I need that! But, of course my hairdresser is away on holiday (curses!) but I'm booked in for 2 weeks time, when she returns.

Quote:
AND...this is important. You must give your very best smile to at least one stranger during the outing.

Right! Will do! And if I get myself into any trouble, I'll blame you! Laughing

Quote:
Don'y dally or you'll lose your momentum.

You're right, of course! I must get moving soon or it will be A2King all day! Not a terribly bad thing, I know, but I feel today should be something else! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:28 pm
@spikepipsqueak,
Quote:
If it was me, msolga, (though you may have seen them recently) I'd check out the aquarium and the new museum. Is Salvador Dali still in town?

Not sure if Salavador's exhibition has ended or not, spike. If not, then close to finishing, I'd say. I will definitely check out the aquarium and the new museum soon. (Interested in doing that next time you're in Melbourne? Let me know & I'll join you.)

I think today will be a movie, some jewelry, coffee & cake ... and being blown about a lot in blustery streets in between!

Thanks for your suggestions, folks!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:31 pm
Yikes! 12:30 already! Shocked

Gotta get moving!

I shall return here & report back in full! Very Happy
Joeblow

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:33 pm
@msolga,
Have fun, olga.

Later.
msolga

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 02:26 am
@Joeblow,
A bit after 6 pm & I'm back home.

That was a good afternoon, thanks, Joe & all ...

Here's what I got up to:

Stop 1 .. Lunch on the run (to the movie) at (middle eastern) A1 Bakery in Sydney Road. Had 2 of their delicious spinach & cheese turn-overs, baked as I waited. They are quite wonderful & addictive!

Stop 2 .. Cinema Nova in Carlton. To see a new Oz film, Beautiful Kate. An Oz adaptation of a novel written by the same fellow who wrote Cutter & Bone (which I loved!). I thought it was a good film, but rather melancholy. Possibly a lighter choice might have been more the go for today? But never mind. I got to have one of those fantastic ice creams you can buy at the Nova. Today's choice: Tiramisu (sp?). Yum.

Stop 3 .. Feeling more than a bit melancholy after the film, I needed to cheer myself up! So I headed off to my very favourite little jewelery shop in Clifton Hill. OH joy, they were having a sale! Very Happy So I bought some rather lovely & delicate earrings: a small garnet flower shape with a little silver bird dangling below. Loved them. And a quite fetching (I thought) Marcasite ring. (I have a great fondness & weakness for Marcasite.)

Stop 4 ...Checked out a few bookshops & restrained myself from major buys. Telling myself I had a pile just waiting to be read, so why buy more? Instead, purchased just one very practical, inexpensive cookbook.

So that was my afternoon.

After cancelling my trip up the country, the weather actually did not seem so bad, , at all. Something like 21 C degrees, but rather windy. I wondered if I should have gone, after all. But now, it is becoming very windy (as predicted)! I could be driving home in this right now. And it's predicted to get much worse.

Oh, I finally managed to contact my friend (who I couldn't reach this morning because of cell phone problems.) Heading over to her place soon for dinner.

- Report finished. Smile
Joeblow

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 07:04 am
@msolga,
...and then dinner with a friend. Perfect. Smile
Lash

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:27 pm
@Joeblow,
Darling!! Miss ehBeth told you you were around, so I came back to see you...and I find that A2K has sustained yet another evolution...I have no idea where you are...but I was hoping you might see this. I'll try to figure out how to give you my email nstuff. I'd love to hear from you!! muuuaaah!!!
msolga

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:31 pm
@Lash,
Lash!!!!!!

A sight for sore eyes! How are you?

(And I thought you came here to talk with me! Wink Laughing )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:36 pm
@msolga,
Was that Ivan Passer (or did he just direct Cutter and Bone (aka Cutter's Way).. I read the book too, but don't remember who wrote it, and I can't go look it up since I see LASH is here.

Yaaaay!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, written by Newton Thornburg.

Lash, you can PM - see at the top of the page, the blue band with your screen name and the word inbox - just click on inbox. Now all of our pms to each person are in chronological order (well, backwards order).
msolga

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Ah, written by Newton Thornburg.

Yes, that's right. I haven't read any of his books, osso, but loved Cutter's Way (the film).

Beautiful Kate has been "transposed" to an Australian setting for the purposes of this film.

Review & excerpts from Beautiful Kate - about 1/2 way down the page:
http://able2know.org/topic/60234-9#post-3734205
ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 11:27 pm
@msolga,
I loved the movie (have seen it many times) and remember liking the book well too.

Will check out the link to Beautiful Kate..
msolga

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 11:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I loved the movie (have seen it many times) and remember liking the book well too.

I loved the movie, too, osso. A firm favourite for a long time.

I honestly had no idea that there was a book (& a well known writer) behind the film. I must see if I can find some of his books!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 09:18:28