How has 'text speak' affected languages apart from english?

talk72000

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 02:18 pm
I think with the cell phone, blackberries and what have you a new skill has been developed called thumb typing which makes it a necessity to text. The thumb is an awkward and large digit.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 02:24 pm
The movies affect our language too. I saw Clueless starring Alicia Silverstone and the expression 'whatever...' came from her ( I think?)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 02:33 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's correct. And the reason why I don't do it.

The only "letter word" similar to texting I know is :LMA (short for the so-called 'Swabian greting', Goethe wrote it in 1780's; Mozart composed to pieces about it [KV No. 231 and KV No 382d].

Translation is .... bite me ... well not really. More like ... va te faire enculer!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 10:52 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:
Then BASIC came along. It was an adaptation of Fortran by a college professor to teach programming to students.
That is what I learned and it was tedious.

I received a letter from a huge corporation recently and words like "u" were used instead of you and "r" instead of are. I thought to myself, they text. It wasn't very professional considering the company involved.
talk72000

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 09:04 am
@TTH,
The younger set has taken over and probably texted you by blackberry. If it from IBM it would be amazing but from Google, Yahoo or Apple not so.
0 Replies