Determined American wants to go to school in London, England.

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 03:47 pm
Hey, for some time now i've decided to go to school over in London. The thing is I would be by myself, unless i arrange something. I was reading up on things and it sounds difficult. I'm hoping to get a shcolarship. I'm a smart kid, and i just dont want to go over there and not know what i'm doing. I have to admit i'm a bit scared, alot of people say the British aren't to nice to us Americans. I know to get to where i want to be i have to take risk, but i guess what i'm asking is how do i get started? I don't have much help from my parentsa and i'm working 2 jobs to get ready for college, even though i'm a sophmore i feel like i should start to prepare. I really would like some help, so if anybody has any and i mean any advice i would love to hear.

Please and thankyou,

Raven
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 9,250 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 05:19 pm
@THETHINKER411,
I'm not sure how to answer but I will bump your topic and welcome you to A2K. Smile

What kind of stuff do you think you'd like to study?
panzade

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 05:52 pm
@THETHINKER411,
I was lucky enough to attend this school in Wales. Although it's not in London, it's not that far away.

It's a prestigious international school that offers scholarships(Julie Payette AC'82 just blasted off on the space shuttle Endeavor), has dorms and is situated in a 14th century castle overlooking the Bristol Channell.

Check it outhttp://www.atlanticcollege.org/Page.aspx?pid=183

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4664/accastle.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4021/acshore.jpg

fresco

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 06:00 pm
@THETHINKER411,
Welcome to A2K ,

One thing you should get straight is that in the UK "school" finishes at 18 and writing "i" instead of "I" finishes at 7 ! Having said that we are on the whole very welcoming to Americans , especially those who realize that "England" does not simply consist of London plus a few tourist traps. Try googling "your chosen subject + British courses " and check out the entrance requirements. Note that European school leavers at 18 may have studied subjects to a greater depth than their US counterparts. Having said that, education in the UK has suffered from dumbing down over the last couple of decades and applicants should be wary of the low standards required by some of the newer "universities" whose qualifications carry little commercial value. In general, the higher the entrance requirements, the better the establishment.

Good luck.
sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 06:22 am
@THETHINKER411,
Hi there,

I am an American and I studied in London through an exchange program. It was the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

I had to find a university that had an exchange program first. It was within my state university system so transferring (for a semester) was pretty straightforward. Then I spent that semester in London through their exchane program. It was a great experience AND it was covered by financial aid! (I did have to spend money on top of that but the financial aid made it affordable.)
THETHINKER411

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 07:38 am
@jespah,
I want to go into journalism, communications mostly, have any suggestions?
0 Replies

THETHINKER411

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 07:40 am
@panzade,
Wow, thanks I never considerd Wales! That sopunds great! Thanks! If you have any other suggestions i would appreciate them greatly!
0 Replies

THETHINKER411

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 07:42 am
@fresco,
I appreciate your answer and it helps alot!! I meant college, and I'm really looking forward to going to school over in England!
THETHINKER411

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 07:44 am
@sozobe,
That sounds like a great idea! I'll deffinately look into that!!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 01:59 pm
@THETHINKER411,
You need to be be aware that Wales is not in England. Believe me. I know. My organisation has one office in Bristol, where I work, and one in Cardiff.
THETHINKER411

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 06:58 pm
@contrex,
yea i know!! thanks!! i would prefer A school in England, but anywhere in europe would do! thanks!!
0 Replies