Walter Cronkite, Deceased at 92

Ragman

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 06:48 pm
Walter Cronkite died today 7/17 at the age of 92. He had been ill for the last few months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Cronkite
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,363 • Replies: 13
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 06:53 pm
@Ragman,
tremendous loss.
Ragman

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 06:58 pm
@dyslexia,
I remember his broadcasts as a child during the '50s through the early 80s. If Cronkite had said it, it was so. Not so much, for me, after his about-face on the Vietnam War, but at least he came around eventually.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 07:15 pm
All right, someone has to say it....

"And that's....the way it was"
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 07:25 pm
I am going to in the time coming miss Walter Cronkite.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 07:30 pm
So, he was born around 1917. I wonder what the average lifespan was for a baby born then? He must have beat that lifespan by a good 50%?
Intrepid

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 07:56 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

So, he was born around 1917. I wonder what the average lifespan was for a baby born then? He must have beat that lifespan by a good 50%?

Lifespan was low at that time due to the Spanish influenza.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:46 pm
I am, however, glad that he survived as long as he did. He was the voice of the news for so many years. There will probably never be another news anchor like him.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:50 pm
a little bit of the news died today, ima miss him.

RIP Mr Cronkite.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 09:09 pm
I had great respect for the man. And nothing seemed "official" unless I heard it from Walter. A loss.
dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:35 am
@Roberta,
Even here in Oz, he was so much a part of so many dramatic and significant events.

And so much of a contrast to the horrid modern TV news fashion of plasticized "Ken and Barbie" infotainment news delivery.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 04:01 am
@dlowan,
He had a captive audience for years. The 24 hour news cycle that we have today hasnt seemed to give rise to someone who was so completely trusted as was Cronkite.
I actuallyike our present news model. It allows for many facets of an issue to be explored much more than the Cronkite/Hinkley Brinkley guys.
When I was 8 years old in 1959, I was sucked into the news that was spoon fed to us all. It was theater. Nowadays, with the growth of multi sources and cable hookups, its a smorgasbord of opinion.

Walter was , however, good with making phrases that live in memory. (like My new sig line . It resounds with me as a fellow water lover like Mr Cronkite. I always liked his ability at simple analogy) While analogy may be low comedy, I liked it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 06:01 am
What really made my gut turn was reading this on his wiki page -

Quote:
Cronkite died on July 17, 2009 at the age of 92 from cerebrovascular disease,described by his son as complications from dementia.

Why is it that our great minds shrink like that. I hate hearing that someone I looked up to at one point in my life , went "down" (so to speak) with dementia.
My images of dementia are grown humans wearing diapers, not knowing enough to know where they are, WHO they are or even how to feed themselves . It is so degrading for a person to go through and the only good part is that they do not know it is going on.

I think i am too young for him to be a large impact, but he is at the forefront of my mind when i think about news. Always has been. I grew up with him on tv and I too look at news anchors now and wonder what happened . They look like those god awful Bratz dolls.
But I remember him......very well. And I remember the serious tone my own crazy house took on when he was on tv on Sunday mornings. And I remember him just being the one face that everyone knew and everyone listened too.

I am thankful for current variety though. Probably more so then I can comprehend.

But, Him? Confused?
Him, possibly in a diaper because he doesnt remember to use a bathroom?
HIM?

really? .... him?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 07:20 am
I'm profoundly sad about the loss of the man and the newscaster/journalist who helped shape the opinions and consciousness of the American public for decades. After LBJ saw that after Cronkite's Vietnam trip providing in-depth coverage that he changed his mind about his support of the war, LBJ despaired, "if I lost Cronkite, then I've lost middle-America".

It's an understatement to say that my family and I held him in pretty high esteem. When I learned of the JFK assassination (at an impressionable age), I felt such deep profound remorse. It was HIS tone, HIS elocution, HIS voice, HIS removing his glasses, HIS demeanor that shaped it for me. This is how a revered man told me. I felt HIS warmth, grief, HIS concern for his country and the world. If I had lost my parent, I would have wanted 'Uncle Walter' to have broken the bad news to me.

The same thing goes for the space program and his coverage of Apollo 11 and walking on the moon. His unabashed joy and pride shone through the TV screen. The sort of breed of journalist/newscaster/anchor he was has been lost.

Your legend lives on, 'Uncle Walter.'
0 Replies