Anybody got a good

Mame

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:40 pm
stuffed pepper recipe? Just thought I'd ask.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,116 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:42 pm
@Mame,
I do, but i'm bout dead tonight.

tomorrow, promise.

(un-ignore me if you can't see this...)
Mame

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 11:59 pm
@Rockhead,
LOL
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:57 am
@Mame,
firstly liquefy the capsicum
roger

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 01:26 am
@oolongteasup,
I thought it was liquid by nature. You mean you use this stuff in stuffed peppers? Stuffed peppers don't involve chili peppers, if you didn't know.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 03:20 am
is it chili peppers or capsicum peppers?
roger

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 03:46 am
@KiwiChic,
Most chili peppers contain capsicum. That's the active part of the word hot. The bell peppers they stuff are a whole different critter. Chili rellanos are also stuffed, but since they're not hot, they contain little or no capsicum, or such is my understanding. Habanero peppers are just loaded with capsicum.

Did I reply to your question? Anyway, I meant to.
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:49 am
@roger,
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Ground Beef

Use multicolored peppers if you can, and feel free to use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
Ingredients:
4 bell peppers, red, yellow, or green
2 teaspoons salt

Filling and Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup water
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup cooked long-grain rice
shredded mild Cheddar cheese, about 1/2 cup

Preparation:
Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds and membranes. Chop edible part of tops and set aside. Rinse peppers under cold water. Place peppers in a large pot; cover with salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain peppers and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Sauté chopped green pepper (from tops), chopped onion, and chopped celery for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, crushed garlic, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Gently stir to blend; add ground beef, cooked rice, and 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Mix well. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a 3-quart baking dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes. Top stuffed peppers with a little shredded Cheddar cheese just before peppers are done; bake until cheese is melted.
Recipe for stuffed peppers serves 6
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:50 am
Thanks for all the recipe ideas (not!) - I found several, but I have a question - one says to pre-cook the peppers and filling (ground beef and rice) and the other one is to just blanch the peppers and fill them raw and bake them longer. What is the best method? I've never made these but thought they'd make a good side dish with ribs or bbq chicken. Any advice from someone who's made them?
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:56 am
@Mame,
I prefer blanching the peppers - not the full five minutes that the recipe says..I do it for about 3 - until they are bright green. I like all of the meat and rice precooked. If you put the meat and rice in raw - well first of all it's greasy - and second of all for some reason the rice doesn't always cook through. I just like the ingredients (except the egg - the eggs just binds the cooked ingredients) to be cooked first.

But you are right - there are several ways to do green peppers.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 07:56 am
@Mame,
I've never blanched them but only cooked them with the filling. (And I don't fill the rice, only with minced meat/beef . Rice as side dish, though.)

I suppose it's better because otherwise the peppers would be too soft.
But since I've never done it differently ...

It's a full meal here (in Europe). You usually serve it with a tomato sauce [or even gravy].

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:28 am
@mismi,
Thanks for the recipe, Mismi. I don't like cooked green peppers, myself, and I like the orange, yellow and red ones for colour. I think I'll cook everything first and then stuff. And yes, blanche before so they're not hard. Thanks a lot.
NickFun

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:08 pm
I just checked Google and there's over 2,348,000 stuffed pepper recipes. Surely one of those must be decent.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:17 pm
@Mame,
ok...

first, to each his own.
I like the bitterness of the greens, but.

I clean and blanche the peppers, and set them to cool, then mix pork (don't can do beef), onions, red and yellow peppers, mushrooms, garlic and spices in a frying pan, then I make rice, leaving it a bit tough, not sticky.

mix rice into pan with filling and let it cool.

pack the peppers, cover with sauce and bake for 45 minutes.
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Rocky and Nicky - thank you. Going to do them and will let you know the verdict.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 03:01 pm

I made up my own recipe and it was good.

Precooked brown rice, canned tuna and sardines drained and mixed, chopped, add chopped tomatoes, put in some pine nuts if you want, finely chopped onion, and olive oil to taste, not too much.

Peppers raw, and split lengthways. Fill peppers boats pretty full.
Grate some strong cheese over the top.
Bake on tray with sprinkle of olive oil.

This is peppers a la McTag
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 03:35 pm
@McTag,
Ugh, sardines! Ick yuck Sorry but you must be British!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 03:40 pm
@Mame,
I remember walking with you in Santa Fe, Mame, and talking about anchovies and sardines as well as bitter greens... LOL, as they say. (I like them all)

Anyway, I have not made stuffed peppers very often, although I have recently saved a recipe for stuffed jalapenos in some kind of casserole, but never mind. If I were going to pick one of those here so far, the one that sounds like what I would do is Rockhead's recipe.
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 04:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, I think I'll give his a go. And McT - Of course, the Scots, Irish, and Welsh all make better food than the English Smile That goes without saying. BUT, if you put a sardine in it, you can have it!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 02:07 am
@Mame,

Canned fish is good, what are you talking about? Anchovies, sardines in brine or olive oil, tuna, mackerel. Lovely.

You don't like tuna? I thought Americans lived on tuna? I don't believe this. I''ve been to the cannery in Monterey CA.

1. Forums
  2. » Anybody got a good
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 05:22:45