Sotomayor Confirmation Hearing

Debra Law

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 06:10 pm
Judiciary Committee OKs Sotomayor for high court

By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS
Associated Press Writer

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Pushing toward a historic Supreme Court confirmation vote, the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday approved Judge Sonia Sotomayor to be the first Hispanic justice, over nearly solid Republican opposition....

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 06:14 pm
I couldn't be more happy about this! I even received an email from Senator
Feinstein today thanking me for supporting Sotomayor!!

roger

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 07:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
At one time, I ran a brief thread congradulating the a2k ladies for their successful efforts in getting Obama elected. That outcome was also not as I desired, but 'Good job."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 01:30 pm
Confirmed 68-31

Cycloptichorn
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 02:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
i've been trying to find a full list of the vote. no joy.

i did find this graph at wsj . it's interactive, so you'll need to follow the link. sotomayor got more votes than either alito or thomas. nearly as many as roberts.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124955682673110741.html#project%3DSOTOMAYER0907%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:04 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
The Republicans: Voinovich was joined by Maine's Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, New Hampshire's Judd Gregg, Indiana's Richard Lugar, Missouri's Kit Bond, Florida's Mel Martinez, South Carolina's Lindsey Graham and Tennessee's Lamar Alexander.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:10 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Danke vielmals, walter !

graham, collins and snow aren't surprising. maybe not even gregg. but i'm blown away that bond and my part time senator, lamar alexander, voted for her.

that's nearly 25% of the republicans. there's enough of them to perhaps take the party back from the berserkers.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:13 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Avec plaisire Wink

However: none of the Republicans who voted for Sotomayor is seeking reelection in 2010.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Avec plaisire Wink

However: none of the Republicans who voted for Sotomayor is seeking reelection in 2010.

hah! now that you mention it... oh well. guess they figure to get out before the men with the butterfly nets show up. ; )
0 Replies