Ragman

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 03:48 pm
@hamburgboy,
Is there a reason you are AGAIN posting off-topic psots to this thread? This interferes with the continuity of this thread. Please refrain from this and start your own. They do look pretty interesting.
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 03:56 pm
@Ragman,
truly sorry , ragman !
i was composing the post and did not check for your post .
and i mean : sorry !

(when we look back at history , we often can find a fear of "newfangled ideas" .
i'm sure i'm not blameless in this respect) .

no more cruikshank here .
hbg
roger

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 03:57 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

mismi: firstly, thanks for responding. I admire your curiosdity and welcome your research. Also, I welcome any and all comments (though it seems to be somewhat of an uncommon for regulars to do on my topics). Please check out the whole article as it does go into some detail.

BTW, you made me snarf about the breaking of wind and your 'guy farm'.

You don't possibly see a connection between dictating what is posted and who responds? Glad to see the 'guy farm' is appreciated, though.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:54 pm
This is the link to that Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs show with Mike Rowe I saw a few weeks ago. This video clip shows the process of a project of the building of a huge Wind Turbine.

Here's the link:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/videos/renovation-nation-wind-turbines.html
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 12:01 am
@Ragman,
sorry..somehow this info got muddled. It's the show called Renovation Nation: Wind Turbines with Steve Thomas from PBS. The show is 30 minutes in length, I believe. this except is 4:39.

The tower is a 600 kw generator and is 243 tall in totality.

The other Mike Rowe dirty Jobs show may be out there is about a company that also bilds these same towers. Maybe I can find that too.
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 12:16 am
@Ragman,
This show is on DVD (as well as Discovery channel). The episode in Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs (Season 3)where he becomes a WIND FARM TECHNICIAN - Mike heads to an Oklahoma wind farm .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:36 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Also, I welcome any and all comments (though it seems to be somewhat of an uncommon for regulars to do on my topics).

Gotta say that your actual response to "any and all comments" explains why a number of "regulars" tend to stay away from you on whatever thread.
superjuly

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:53 pm
@hamburgboy,
I have mentioned in another thread on renewable energy technology how I thought of wind turbines as giant blenders to flying species as one of the environmental impact of such technology. Another impact that I thought up just by reading your post on how they are getting faster and faster is that this might cause a longterm impact on earth's wind system by changing the courses of wind fronts.

America, go solar!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:58 pm
@superjuly,
There was an earlier thread where I brought up the bird thing and got well refuted, SuperJuly (always good to see you). If I remember correctly, it had to do with the turbines I was mentioning being in a major flight path (was it Altamont in California?) and there was a lot of data shown to me that this wasn't a routine turbine thing.

Now, this is not my field and I'd be interested in further info.
superjuly

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Hi osso! Good to see you too.

I think I missed the thread you're speaking of. Some people argue that there is not a major impact on birds migration, or even that in some places the birds "get smart" about the turbines and change their original path. I disagree with that not being a significant impact. If we're thinking of a small wind farm, I guess it would be reasonable, but thinking of energy demand and the amount of turbines that the world would need in order to conquer an energy matrix transition to clean power production, than I'm not so sure. Sustainable development means the least environmental impact possible.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:14 pm
@superjuly,
I'll try to chase it down. It might be that it was about a big building in London with some small turbines on the roof - it was back when I used to post a lot of landuse type threads - and that the discussion got going from that to the larger type of installations. In any case, it was at least a few years ago (time flies).
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, here's one thread -
http://able2know.org/topic/49823-1

and another, more to the point - as it got into the birds thing. -
http://able2know.org/topic/80411-1
Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:24 pm
@ehBeth,
not sure what you mean, but not a problem. Might be just the case where it's summertime and people are busy.

thanks for the info and contributions from osso and superjuly
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Er, I mean it got into the birds thing with people responding to the birds and turbines situation.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:40 pm
Hi osso, lots of info, thanks! interesting about the landscape/urban planning. I know very little about the subject though. I'm doing extensive research on energy resources and technology but on a macro management level, focusing on solar power as a global solution for the energy crisis. I'll try reading the posts and checking some links as this should give me insights. thank you for sharing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Ragman, hamburger is one of our finer long time posters. I liked his addition to this thread, I thought it was apropo and witty, and thought that you were oddly rude to him. I am guessing you were probably trying to stay on topic after the bruhaha about a bunch of us straying when we had been asked not to by a new question person.

I'll back up and say that I've been rude to others too, for which I'm mostly but not always sorry, so I understand.

Some of us have a tendency to be hall monitors from elementary school - I'll include myself, and I think of that as at least a partial problem of mine. In this case your comment was rather odd.
superjuly

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:45 pm
osso, is there a special way to bookmark threads? I'm all lost with the new a2k design. **there is if you don't mind the question, of course.
Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:48 pm
@hamburgboy,
ty. no prob. great contributions. still checking your earlier ones out.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 09:49 pm
@ossobuco,
No rudenes intended by me.
Correct, Osso. An astute observation as that had been fresh in my mind.

Great work all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 10:00 pm
@superjuly,
Yes - it's tagging.

Although I think you can also ask for an email update, but I'd have to figure out how, as I never do that.

A lot of people don't like tagging but it is being used more and more on the internet, and once I got over being clamfloogled, I love it.

You can tag any thread. If I were you, I'd tag it Wind Farms. That may or may not replace any tags that are already connected to the thread, but if you then look up top and go to My Tags, you'll see Wind Farm, and can click on it and find this thread.

Alternately, you can go to the top right hand little window and type in wind farm (given you remember the subject of a thread you liked), and it'll show up.. usually. The search system is still in "awaiting fixing" mode.

Or, you can look a little lower to the right and simple put a tag in the box for SEARCH TAGS.. perhaps, say, ecology, or energy resources.

Some of us are trying to tag old threads to make access easier by category.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:32:16