What are the most famous portrait paintings in Western, Islamic and art of the Americas?

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 01:31 pm
For the 20th, 19th, 18th, 17th, 16th centuries.

Even if you can answer only a little, please send your answer to [email protected]

Thanks,
Adelaide
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,103 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 01:39 pm
the best suggestion that could be made is to type those keywords into Google. The reply should yield you hundreds of hits with copious lists or paintings:

Of course, you can think a few painting yourself..such as Mona Lisa, Whistler's Mother. etc.

I suggest rewording the phrase as:
"most famous paintings in American art"
"most famous paintings in Islamic art"
"most famous paintings in western art"

One such art site with famous paintings turned up when I di the same search follows:
http://www.artpaintings.info
http://www.artpaintings.info/articles/1955/Famous-Art-Paintings

Try entering those phrases and let us know if you have any problems.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:30 pm
@AdelaideRuble,
Im not really aware of any Islamic art that even depicts actual portariture.
AdelaideRuble

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:14 pm
@farmerman,
Can you tell me what you consider the most famous Islamic works of art? Are there any by women? Give me the title name and artist and I will do research on the person/s.
Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 08:09 pm
@AdelaideRuble,
Have you attempted to google this info??

I did a websearch and came up with this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_art
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 05:27 am
@AdelaideRuble,
Im no student of Isalmic ARt but if you recall the huge influence that Islamic and "Egyptian" art had on architecture and monuments in the US in the Post Civil War era. Id look up "Havilland" as a designer of several monuments influenced by Muslim art.

In Jannsons "History of Art" is an entire chapter devoted to Islamic art and why there ARE NO WELL KNOWN it was a blasphemy ISLAMIC portraitists. There are one or two Muslims who were part of the Abstarct Exression movement in modern art. I do not think that thir "Muslimity" was any force that directed their art.
Sorry Im no help but, if you find some actual portrait artists , please post them and we can share in the information.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 05:05 pm
Homework? I don't think there are any famous portrait paintings in Islamic art, as the religion prohibits depiction of human and animal forms...
0 Replies