portugals drug decriminalization question.

OGIONIK

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:12 pm
Drug legalization removes all criminal penalties for producing, selling and using drugs; no country has tried it. In contrast, decriminalization, as practiced in Portugal, eliminates jail time for drug users but maintains criminal penalties for dealers. Spain and Italy have also decriminalized personal use of drugs and Mexico's president has proposed doing the same. . is a quote from an article, why hasnt any government tried legalization?

do governments secretly profit from selling drugs or something?

seriously, its like they WANT the drug prices through the roof...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 721 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:25 am
Jesus, what an idiot . . .

Apparently, it never occurred to you that government's might want to help their citizens avoid the disastrous consequences of continuous long-term drug abuse. Portugal is a perfect example--they have citizen groups whose purpose is to help those who have been drug abusers get clean and stay clean, as an alternative to an adversarial system of trial and punishment. Who gives a rat's ass what drugs cost if your purpose is to help people to stop abusing them?

I'm sure you think it would be cool if any yahoo could sell you anything you were stupid enough to eat, smoke or snort, at the lowest price you could get away with paying. It seems not to have occurred to you that that would not generally be seen to be a worthy goal of government.

So, you like, get totally whacked, completely baked and post **** like this?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:47 am
I bet if OG added up all the money he's spent on things like drugs, alcohol and gambling it would equal the cost of tuition at a local college.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:25 am
Local college, Hell . . . based on the character of the threads he's started, i'd say he's pissed away enough for at least a full ride at Harvard or MIT.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:36 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I bet if OG added up all the money he's spent on things like drugs, alcohol and gambling it would equal the cost of tuition at a local college.

naw not even close.

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:38 pm
@OGIONIK,
but making them illegal just creates a huge market for them, doesnt anyone understand economics?

lets let the users off scot free, and the dealers sitll have the huge legal issues to deal with, ie prices stay up?

iono doesnt make sense.
0 Replies