Another Fine Mess - Coup Rocks Honduras

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 12:23 pm
@El-Diablo,
El-Diablo wrote:

This was not a coup by the military but, from what i can tell, by the Supreme Court and Congress who had grown fed up with the democratically elected President.

Fed up with his proposed referendum that was deemed illegal.
El-Diablo

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 01:50 pm
@H2O MAN,
No they were fed up with him long before that. Probably for good reason, he's had a very strange political career, but I want to see the legal basis for deeming the ballot of such tantamount unconstitutionality that he had to be removed from power.

Also I did find where it says that citizenship is revoked if one pushes for the reelection of the President, Article 42. But once again no one has given any evidence that is in fact what Zelaya was doing. I am actually interested in seeing since by all means he might have but I've yet to come across any. There simply opponents arguing that is essentially what he wants to do, but accusations of nefarious intentions are far and away from outright violating the law.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 04:06 pm
@Amigo,
honestly, who gives a a flying ****?

governments, R O F L!

0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:37 am
Zelaya is being replaced because he raised minimum wage 60 percent saying would "Force the business oligarchy to start paying what is fair"

The constitutional thing is bullshit.

Anybody here that rufuses to look at how the SOA (now WHINSEC), World bank, IMF work together to destroy democracy to keep a grip on labor and resources HAS THERE HEAD IN THERE ASS and is totally out of touch with the reality in south America and it's history

http://www.soaw.org/

READ SOME REAL FUCKEN NEWS!!!

http://www.alternet.org/world/141026/honduran_leader%27s_populism_is_what_provoked_military_violence/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 03:59 pm
Quote:
"The U.S. Army School of the Americas...is a school that has run more dictators than any other school in the history of the world."
- Congressman Joseph Kennedy (In total, the School has produced at least eleven Latin American dictators.)

Want terrorism? Who ya gonna call?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 04:26 pm

Why is American media reporting what happened in Honduras as a coup instead
of reporting that what took place their actually prevented a coup from occurring?

Fear of the truth?
JTT

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 04:33 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Fear of the truth?

Speaking of which, ...

"The U.S. Army School of the Americas...is a school that has run more dictators than any other school in the history of the world."
- Congressman Joseph Kennedy (In total, the School has produced at least eleven Latin American dictators.)
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 04:40 pm
@JTT,

The graduation ceremonies must be spectacular!
How many has Obama attended?
JTT

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 04:42 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:

To the soulless filth like you.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 04:49 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

To the soulless filth like you.

I mention Obama and you project personal feelings about yourself and the president... very interesting.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:00 pm
Quote:
Following a White House meeting with Washington’s closest Latin American ally, Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, President Obama reiterated the position that the ouster of Zelaya was illegal. However, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters at a State Department briefing that the US government was refraining from formally declaring the removal of Zelaya a “coup.”

Under the Foreign Assistance Act, no US aid can be given to a country whose elected head of government is removed by a military coup. The US is providing Honduras with $43 million in aid this year and maintains a major military presence in the country, including a base staffed by 600 US troops located 50 miles from the capital, Tegucigalpa. The US has also refrained from recalling its ambassador to Honduras.

Earlier on Monday, Clinton was asked whether the stated US goal of “restoring democratic order in Honduras” included returning Zelaya to the presidency. “We haven’t laid out any demands that we’re insisting on,” Clinton replied.

I hate to be cynical, but I'll bet Washington was well aware the coup was imminent and even though the UN General Assembly voted to condemn the overthrow, not much will come from this incident.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:10 pm
@panzade,
Many people, inside and outside the US State Department, were aware of the possibility of the coup at least 3 days before.
Zelaya dismissed his military chief of staff, the secretary of Defense resigned because he did not want to sign the draft for the referendum, the military went out to the streets, there was high tension running. It may even have been reported in some obscure page in US newspapers, but it was bigger news in Latin America.
Then there was a standstill and some of us thought, wrongly: "there'll be no coup after all, the military have lost the surprise element".

BTW, now the military have limited the freedoms of movement, speech, transit, association and home privacy; the Honduran Congress aproved the measures by unanimity, giving the impression that it is under the rule of the true powers, and that the make-up is coming off: a Banana Coup, after all.
roger

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:15 pm
@fbaezer,
That final paragraph is not what I would call real encouraging.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:48 pm

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:57 pm
Democracy Now with Amy Goodman is one of the most creditable sources you could listen to. It is one of the reasons I AM ALWAYS RIGHT AND AHEAD OF THE REST

Watch this to learn about Handuras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcD5dyekXak

And this to for the SOA watch founder and more on Handuras and the SOA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU55wswHoNA
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 08:17 pm
@Amigo,

Democracy Now with Amy Goodman is one of the most creditable left wing sources you could listen to.
Amigo

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 08:47 pm
@H2O MAN,
And thats why your a retard.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 09:12 pm
@Amigo,

I'm sure you're a Liberaltard suffering from a rectal cranial inversion.
Amigo

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 11:32 pm
@H2O MAN,
Your terminal. Your brain is fucked. Work hard asshole. your a retard.

We collect money from you daily.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:02 am
@Amigo,

It didn't take long at all for you to project your ignorance and inadequacies.

Find someone that can explain to you what that means before your pathetic brain explodes.
0 Replies