Real `Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' gravely ill

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:30 pm
By GREGORY KATZ " Jun 12, 2009

Full Story...

LONDON (AP) " They were childhood chums. Then they drifted apart, lost touch completely, and only renewed their friendship decades later, when illness struck.
Not so unusual, really.
Except she is Lucy Vodden " the girl who was the inspiration for the Beatles' 1967 psychedelic classic "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" " and he is Julian Lennon, the musician son of John Lennon.
They are linked together by something that happened more than 40 years ago when Julian brought home a drawing from school and told his father, "That's Lucy in the sky with diamonds."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,712 • Replies: 15
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:42 pm
@hingehead,
let's all listen...shall we?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:43 pm
Thanks for the story. I didn't know that one.
hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was surprised too Edgar, I always believed the 'LSD' it's a drug song theory.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:44 pm
cool story

i'll never forget when elton john recorded LSD, i was in about grade 8, this would be less than ten years after the beatles wrote and recorded it, i was stunned to hear people talk about the new elton john song
hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:48 pm
@djjd62,
I can beat that one DJ: when I was about 14 (so about the same time you're talking about) I was at a friend's place with his older brothers albums (in their sleeves) scattered on the living room floor. My friends cousin (a girl about 11) saw the cover of Abbey Road and said 'That's Paul McCartney! Was he in a band before Wings?'

Fourteen is way too young to feel old.
djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:50 pm
@hingehead,
ha, that is worse
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:23 pm
Shortly after i returned home from Southeast Indo-china the Beatles "I want to hold your hand" hit #1 on the charts and a week later appeared on the Ed Sullivan shop for the first time (Feb 1964) I wasn't much impressed. That year I was listening to Roy Orbison, the Ray Charles Singers, the Drifters, Johnny Rivers and the Ventures. It wasn't until RUBBER SOUL and REVOLVER came out that i became interested in the Beatles.
panzade

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:26 pm
@dyslexia,
same here
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:28 pm
The song And I Love Her, plus the movie A Hard Day's Night, made me like the Beatles. What they did before that, any four artists could have done.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
I had heard a story on the radio news that Julian keeps in touch with her, and recently sent a gift certificate to a yard and garden store in her area, because one of the interests they have in common is gardening. Julian was interviewed and he says they "text" one another just about every day. I'd heard this story years and years ago. Apparently, Julian was quite young, and Lucy was his best friend at school, as his father well knew. He came home one day with a picture he had done showing a girl flying through the air with sparling stars all around her. John asked him what it was, and he said: "That's Lucy . . . in the sky . . . with diamonds."
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:47 pm
@hingehead,
Thanks for posting this story and bringing back memories. I already knew the substance behind the title and lyrics, but had forgotten the details.

So, what ever happened to Julian Lennon? I always felt so sorry for him and his mother and what became of them after John Lennon left them.
hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:32 pm
@Reyn,
Yeah, how is Cynthia? I guess she was just too normal for an artist who was bigger than Jesus. I get the feeling Yoko offered something more valuable in John's eyes than just the comfort of female companionship.
panzade

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:51 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
I get the feeling Yoko offered something more valuable in John's eyes than just the comfort of female companionship.

...no doubt. And I always sympathized with the other 3 as they had to put up with Ono's influence on John....something I've dealt with in past bands where S.O.'s started pushing their weight around.
hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 04:38 pm
@panzade,
Heh, it's funny Panzade, but I always hated bands because it was like being married to four people you didn't like - they were my unwanted S.O.s
panzade

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:52 pm
@hingehead,
you got that right
0 Replies