How does one showcase broken things?

boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 08:40 am
We all build altars. If we didn't, every place would look the same.

For an 8 year old boy who loves baseball a bat broken from a good hit is a pretty cool relic, even for a child who receives an immense amount of attention.

The bat broke just like farmerman said -- a long, jagged break right above where you would hold it so I do think having it in two pieces would be the best way to show it off. I'll bet Mr. B could make a shadow box type thing, I'm going to nudge him in that direction.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:00 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Sometimes a bat is just a bat.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:01 am
@boomerang,
Make sure he doesn't get a splinter, or he might go whining about it on an Internet message board.
boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:54 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Make sure he doesn't get a splinter, or he might go whining about it on an Internet message board.

Huh?

Am I whining?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 10:39 am
@boomerang,
I guess I was offensive, sorry, Boomer. I feel rather strongly about shrines from my own personal encumbrance by them after all these years, and I'm primarily self-questioning on that - much of that impatience is aimed at myself.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 10:44 am
@boomerang,
How does Mo want to frame it? is it something he could participate in - the framing? seems to me he should, but that's one person's read.

Interestingly (maybe), the thread title creates a lot of questions for me. I'll have to think about it some more.
boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 10:44 am
@ossobuco,
You didn't offend me, osso, no need to apologize. (BTW: I wasn't the one who marked down your posts.) I'm always interested in a different perspective and your post provided some food for thought.

My brother has what he calls his "I love me" stuff. It's a collection of things that travel the world with him -- he's in the Army and is often deployed for a year or more at a time. His "I love me" things are personal touchstones that remind him of his life.

I think everyone should have a collection of "I love me" things but I understand they can be cumbersome.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 10:47 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Am I whining?

You're not.

http://able2know.org/topic/133670-1
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 10:50 am
@ehBeth,
Re the thread title: I hadn't thought of the different ways it could be interpreted! His saved broken things are things that have been broken in a good way -- the bat, the first drum head he broke while playing, that sort of thing.

All he knows right now is that he does want to display it somehow. He is holding off signing and dating it -- something he is really wanting to do -- until it gets set up so that he can be sure he gets the writing in the right place.
0 Replies